Last Comment Bug 520132 - Search returns no results
: Search returns no results
Status: RESOLVED WORKSFORME
:
Product: Thunderbird
Classification: Client Software
Component: Search (show other bugs)
: unspecified
: x86 Linux
-- major (vote)
: ---
Assigned To: Nobody; OK to take it and work on it
:
:
Mentors:
Depends on:
Blocks:
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2009-10-02 02:46 PDT by Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek
Modified: 2009-12-03 08:04 PST (History)
2 users (show)
See Also:
Crash Signature:
(edit)
QA Whiteboard:
Iteration: ---
Points: ---


Attachments

Description User image Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek 2009-10-02 02:46:38 PDT
User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.4pre) Gecko/20090915 Thunderbird/3.0b4

Search always returns zero results even if I see messages that match in the inbox.

Reproducible: Always

Steps to Reproduce:
1. Enter a word in the search box in the toolbar
2. Press enter or click the "Messages mentioning word"

Actual Results:  
A search result tab with zero results appears.

Expected Results:  
Some messages containing the word are found.

The searched folder is IMAP if that matters.
Comment 1 User image Ludovic Hirlimann [:Usul] 2009-10-05 05:21:05 PDT
(In reply to comment #0)
> User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3)
> Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
> Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.4pre)
> Gecko/20090915 Thunderbird/3.0b4
> 
> Search always returns zero results even if I see messages that match in the
> inbox.
> 
> Reproducible: Always
> 
> Steps to Reproduce:
> 1. Enter a word in the search box in the toolbar

Using the default search ?

> 2. Press enter or click the "Messages mentioning word"
> 
> Actual Results:  
> A search result tab with zero results appears.
> 
> Expected Results:  
> Some messages containing the word are found.
> 
> The searched folder is IMAP if that matters.

Are the messages stored localy or only on the imap server ?
Comment 2 User image Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek 2009-10-08 04:01:47 PDT
(In reply to comment #1)
> (In reply to comment #0)
> > User-Agent:       Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3)
> > Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3
> > Build Identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.4pre)
> > Gecko/20090915 Thunderbird/3.0b4
> > 
> > Search always returns zero results even if I see messages that match in the
> > inbox.
> > 
> > Reproducible: Always
> > 
> > Steps to Reproduce:
> > 1. Enter a word in the search box in the toolbar
> 
> Using the default search ?

Probaly. There's some unreadable barely visible text in the search box until I click it to enter text.

When I click the looking glass "Search everywhere" option has a dot in front of it.

> 
> > 2. Press enter or click the "Messages mentioning word"
> > 
> > Actual Results:  
> > A search result tab with zero results appears.
> > 
> > Expected Results:  
> > Some messages containing the word are found.
> > 
> > The searched folder is IMAP if that matters.
> 
> Are the messages stored localy or only on the imap server ?

Probably locally. I looked in the account settings and there is "Keep messages for this account on this computer" which is checked.
Comment 3 User image Ludovic Hirlimann [:Usul] 2009-10-08 04:21:33 PDT
is global indexing turned on on your machine ? (see preferences adavnced general)
Comment 4 User image Michal 'hramrach' Suchanek 2009-12-03 07:11:45 PST
Fixed in 3.0 rc 2 or what it is.

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.5) Gecko/20091130 Thunderbird/3.0
Comment 5 User image [:Aureliano Buendía] 2009-12-03 08:04:30 PST
-> WFM. Fixed is used for bugs with known patches.
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=fields.html#resolution

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.