spun off from bug 48948. found using 2001.06.18.08 mozilla bits [this feature is
n/a on commercial builds] on Mac OS 9.0x. pls reassign as needed!
0. make sure you have the QuickTime Player [i have v4] already installed.
1. click on the above url: http://jrgm.mcom.com/bugs/mimetypes/lemon_lane.mp3
2. when the downloading/helper-app [it'll recognize it as an audio/mpeg file],
click on the Set Default button.
3. in the New Type dialog, enter
Description: MP3 audio file
File extension: mp3
MIME type: audio/mpeg
Application to use: [click Choose to enter the path to the QuickTime Player]
4. hit OK, then hit the Set Default button again, which'll bring up the Edit
Type dialog [need to do this to access the "Ask me before opening..." checkbox].
5. deselect [turn off] the "Ask me before opening downloaded files of this type"
6. hit OK in Edit Type dialog, and OK in the downloading/helper app dialog. at
this point, the helper app opens and plays the file. [btw, the "saving
file"/download progress dialog also appears, but that's expected.]
7. now, hit the url again.
expected: the helper app [QuickTime Player] should open up automatically and
play the file. [again, along with the download progress dialog.]
actual result: prompted again by the download/helper app dialog as to how to
handle the file.
workaround: quit and restart mozilla, and this is no longer a problem.
trying again...mebbe bugzilla is having a seizure:
this wfm using 2001.07.09.03-branch commercial bits on Mac.
v, haven't seen this in a while...