Upgrade Confluence on mana prod to 5.4

RESOLVED WONTFIX

Status

RESOLVED WONTFIX
4 years ago
4 years ago

People

(Reporter: dgarvey, Unassigned)

Tracking

Details

(URL)

(Reporter)

Description

4 years ago
Stage has been upgraded with no apparent issues. Please see bug 985987.
Requesting the opportunity to upgrade Prod.


* date, time, duration of maintenance
  - Aug 23th, 7pm PST - 2 hours

* system(s) affected
  - Confluence (mana) Production

* end-user impact
  - Users will not be able to access http://mana.mozilla.org/

* maintenance plan and timeline (link to a wiki or etherpad is fine)
  - Release notes: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+5.4+Release+Notes
  - Upgrade notes: https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+5.4+Upgrade+Notes
  - Download: https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/download

  - mana.m.o docs: https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/websites/mana.mozilla.org

* rollback plan / rollback point (at which point will you determine to roll back)
  - mana.m.o docs: https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/websites/mana.mozilla.org

* notification mechanisms
  - Not sure what the common methods of notification used? email?

* who will be point, who else will be involved
  - I will be point. With either rbryce or ashish as a backup.
This was missed during today's CAB because the cab-review flag was not set. Fortunately, we already have some upcoming downtime for mana, which is tomorrow (Thursday, 21st August) from 2200 to 2300 PDT and we can probably piggy back the upgrade right after that? See bug 1029190 for more details
Flags: cab-review?

Comment 2

4 years ago
(In reply to dgarvey :dgarvey from comment #0)
> Stage has been upgraded with no apparent issues. Please see bug 985987.
> Requesting the opportunity to upgrade Prod.
> 
> 
> * date, time, duration of maintenance
>   - Aug 23th, 7pm PST - 2 hours
> 
> * system(s) affected
>   - Confluence (mana) Production
> 
> * end-user impact
>   - Users will not be able to access http://mana.mozilla.org/
> 
> * maintenance plan and timeline (link to a wiki or etherpad is fine)
>   - Release notes:
> https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+5.4+Release+Notes
>   - Upgrade notes:
> https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+5.4+Upgrade+Notes
>   - Download: https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/download
> 
>   - mana.m.o docs:
> https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/websites/mana.mozilla.org
> 
> * rollback plan / rollback point (at which point will you determine to roll
> back)
>   - mana.m.o docs:
> https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/websites/mana.mozilla.org
> 
> * notification mechanisms
>   - Not sure what the common methods of notification used? email?
> 
> * who will be point, who else will be involved
>   - I will be point. With either rbryce or ashish as a backup.
Blocks: 985987

Comment 3

4 years ago
(In reply to dgarvey :dgarvey from comment #0)
> Stage has been upgraded with no apparent issues. Please see bug 985987.
> Requesting the opportunity to upgrade Prod.

Should the MOC be driving this change?  Is there a critical need or risk we're addressing?

> 
> 
> * date, time, duration of maintenance
>   - Aug 23th, 7pm PST - 2 hours

Is this a blanket window for mana specifically? Is this a convenient time to users globally?

> 
> * system(s) affected
>   - Confluence (mana) Production
> 
> * end-user impact
>   - Users will not be able to access http://mana.mozilla.org/
> 
> * maintenance plan and timeline (link to a wiki or etherpad is fine)
>   - Release notes:
> https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+5.4+Release+Notes
>   - Upgrade notes:
> https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/DOC/Confluence+5.4+Upgrade+Notes
>   - Download: https://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/download
> 
>   - mana.m.o docs:
> https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/websites/mana.mozilla.org
> 
> * rollback plan / rollback point (at which point will you determine to roll
> back)
>   - mana.m.o docs:
> https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/websites/mana.mozilla.org

Ironically, these are on the very system that is being changed. What if mana is unavailable, is there an alternative loc for these docs?  Also, should the docs be updated? References 4.1.4 and ex-employees as contacts.

> 
> * notification mechanisms
>   - Not sure what the common methods of notification used? email?

Kudos for the mana banner!  But we also send default mail through whistlepig which were sent out earlier today.  Correct me if wrong, but changes should be submitted 2 weeks prior which would have kicked off earlier notifications instead of day-before.

> 
> * who will be point, who else will be involved
>   - I will be point. With either rbryce or ashish as a backup.

Again, should this be driven and decided by MOC to upgrade this service?

Comment 4

4 years ago
To be clear by comment 3, my vote is to postpone this change until further discussion based on these questions.
(In reply to Albert [:albert] from comment #4)
> To be clear by comment 3, my vote is to postpone this change until further
> discussion based on these questions.

The only reason I was asking for this to be done in the same window is we're already going to take down mana tonight for an urgent switch over from out-of-warranty hardware to a VM (see Bug 1029190)

If we're okay taking it down again to upgrade, I'm fine with that. I was trying to hit two birds with one stone.
(In reply to Albert [:albert] from comment #3)
> (In reply to dgarvey :dgarvey from comment #0)
> > Stage has been upgraded with no apparent issues. Please see bug 985987.
> > Requesting the opportunity to upgrade Prod.
> 
> Should the MOC be driving this change?  Is there a critical need or risk
> we're addressing?

Not necessarily..  I'm guessing this was carried over from when dumitru managed mana, but today this is on my team (jabba) until otherwise handed over to webops or moved to SaaS.

> > * date, time, duration of maintenance
> >   - Aug 23th, 7pm PST - 2 hours
> 
> Is this a blanket window for mana specifically? Is this a convenient time to
> users globally?

There is no blanket window today.  we have been discussing lifecycle updates at our work week this week so I'll leave this at "no" now.   For convenience, this is likely the best time.

> Ironically, these are on the very system that is being changed. What if mana
> is unavailable, is there an alternative loc for these docs?  Also, should
> the docs be updated? References 4.1.4 and ex-employees as contacts.

At one time the MOC was exporting mana for the case in which it goes down.  I can't answer if this is still the case.

Yes, the docs should be updated - as mentioned before this was orphaned and has since landed on my team.


> Kudos for the mana banner!  But we also send default mail through whistlepig
> which were sent out earlier today.  Correct me if wrong, but changes should
> be submitted 2 weeks prior which would have kicked off earlier notifications
> instead of day-before.

That is/was for a different maintenance window on mana - a P2V move, one we are rushing without 2 weeks for an emergency sake (the box is some 5 years old, just threw a disk, and P2V'ing it was going to happen ASAP so is cheaper and easier than dealing with an out of warranty disk) - this need for a move is something I've called out in the last couple of months with the discussion of mana's future, but has been derailed a bit by SaaS.  So, we are just doing it now to avoid an outage should the remaining disk fail.

I'm happy taking this upgrade task back to our team..  but it will not be in this time frame given my team's travel.
(In reply to Shyam Mani [:fox2mike] from comment #5)

> The only reason I was asking for this to be done in the same window is we're
> already going to take down mana tonight for an urgent switch over from
> out-of-warranty hardware to a VM (see Bug 1029190)

But its not the same window..   That window is tonight, the window in this bug is for Friday.
(In reply to Corey Shields [:cshields] from comment #7)
> (In reply to Shyam Mani [:fox2mike] from comment #5)
> 
> > The only reason I was asking for this to be done in the same window is we're
> > already going to take down mana tonight for an urgent switch over from
> > out-of-warranty hardware to a VM (see Bug 1029190)
> 
> But its not the same window..   That window is tonight, the window in this
> bug is for Friday.

I was asking for it to be done tonight, which lead to this whole discussion. See email to infra-cab.
Had a quick chat with Corey, his team is responsible for mana and will reopen/open a new CAB bug when they're ready to upgrade. We're not doing this tonight.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 4 years ago
Flags: cab-review?
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
Product: mozilla.org → Infrastructure & Operations
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.