I am filtering in Google Analytics for Browser version 28.1 but am not seeing anything from the commercial shipping devices. Can we investigate whether GA is turned on in the commercial shipping Tarako MP? And if so, whether the user agent string shows Gecko 28.1?
You can use add this segment to your Google Analytics report: https://www.google.com/analytics/web/template?uid=1RSHAyTfTraE3oEXorbX0g
Mano - Before we shipped we verified that we could detect v28.1 on these devices, but any number of things could have changed from shipping a different version, to adjusting the reporting. We can't know from here because we don't have the actual devices. Would you work with David to investigate this on an actual device being sold there?
Assignee: nobody → mbalasubramaniam
User agent string Mozilla/5.0(Mobile;rv:28.1) Gecko/28.1 Frefox/28.1 So something else seems to be up with GA on Tarako devices with Marketplace.
Assignee: mbalasubramaniam → ddurst
Do users still go to marketplace.firefox.com - what URL is Tarako Marketplace?
They use the marketplace package from their devices.
Would marketplace.firefox.com still see user sessions? I am not seeing any activity in the Marketplace from Gecko 28.1 except, I think, our test devices. We do see activity from the Feed packaged app.
I believe this is it as well, no? https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/marketplace-package
Assignee: ddurst → mpillard
There may be 2 issues that have come to light: 1. We don't seem to be receiving Tarako analytics data - or possibly it is being associated with a domain other than marketplace.firefox.com. The user agent seems to be set correctly on the Intex devices, but analytics is not seeing any devices with Gecko 28.1. Could you check the code and domain? We do not see any traffic on the page https://marketplace.firefox.com/app/marketplace-package (went to 0 on August 26/27).
I'm not sure you should be seeing traffic in the places you think. This is a packaged app, so it won't be doing regular page loads (and certainly not of the marketplace-package detail page -- side note, which I also made a hidden app on Tuesday so it will be 0 traffic). The only indication of traffic you're going to see is the Events we programmed in (like, clicking to install, etc.). I built a report in GA yesterday (it's in your email) which shows a large spike in those events in India. It's shared as "India Performance" if this link doesn't work: https://www.google.com/analytics/web/?hl=en#dashboard/vMkORVAuTBuBbGEg7ysSoA/a36116321w65336229p67582515/ So...I think this bug is invalid unless Mathieu swoops in and explains all the reasons I'm wrong. :)
You should definitely see regular page loads etc, that's the idea behind Potatolytics (bug 888358). When Marketplace is a packaged app, Potatolytics is supposed to get us analytics by creating an iframe with an origin that works with UA. Marketplace then communicates with that iframe to send all events that normally occur when browsing Marketplace, like displaying a category, executing a search, displaying an app page, etc. Except I can't get it to work either - not just for the tarako marketplace, but for regular packaged Marketplace on Firefox OS as well. No script is executed from the analytics iframe (I even added a couple alert() to be sure) :( I suspect because it's created on the fly with src="data:text/html..." instead of existing on a server like the iframe we just for the app installs, so we probably hit some security restrictions. Hosted app version works fine (it's not using the iframe). I'd love to be proven wrong here, since this is super scary (and seem to contradict the reports you created, but I don't know GA enough to be sure). Maybe Kevin can double-check my findings ? PS: you are right about the marketplace-package detail page though, that's not relevant.
OS: Mac OS X → All
Hardware: x86 → All
Now I see some activity (very limited) - so possibly there were just no Tarako devices until this past weekend. I might hold on this a couple of days to see if the numbers start coming in.
https://github.com/mozilla/yogafire/commit/6c8266b64c26d94f0aa5b3cd979442bc0e067f66 should fix the issue. We'll need to deploy the update to users though.
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 4 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → 2014-09-16
Re-opening, it doesn't work. We see some interesting differences between what is sent to GA in the package and what is sent to GA from the website. Specifically: > in the tarako package, the query parameter 'tid' is set to the value... "set" > it should be set to our tracking id (UA-36116321-6), at least it is set to that on the requests made from the website > 'cid' parameter also looks suspicious, it's set to "de" here in the package and 'hze062u8.oig' in the website > and 'z' parameter is empty in the package, also suspicious Looking into it.
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Resolution: FIXED → ---
I think mat's patch solves it (wfm locally), fwiw. Expect this to close tomorrow.
Status: REOPENED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 4 years ago → 4 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.