Closed Bug 1061363 Opened 8 years ago Closed 7 years ago

Syncing Lightning w/GDATA Provider blocks/hangs/freezes UI thread

Categories

(Calendar :: Provider: GData, defect)

Lightning 3.3
defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED FIXED

People

(Reporter: cowwoc2020, Assigned: Fallen)

References

Details

(Keywords: perf)

Attachments

(1 file)

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/37.0.2062.102 Safari/537.36

Steps to reproduce:

1. Launch Thunderbird (or wait for Lighting to sync the calendar)
2. 3 seconds after the UI appears, the process is flagged as "Not responding" by Windows.
3. Open Task Manager, notice that Thunderbird is using 100% of one CPU core.
4. Eventually (20-30 seconds later) the Calendar finishes syncing. CPU usage drops to 0% and the UI becomes responsive.

I started having this problem around Thunderbird 24.2.0 with Lighting 2.6.4 and Provider for Google Calendar 0.25. I did not have the problem before. Furthermore, disabling the Provider for Google Calendar plugin makes the problem go away.

This issue is 100% reproducible under:

Windows 7, 64-bit
Thunderbird 31.0
Lighting 3.3
Provider for Google Calendar 0.25


Actual results:

Calendar sync blocking UI thread


Expected results:

Calendar should sync in a background thread without blocking UI. The UI should display the latest state at any given time (display a stale state while syncing is in progress).
Keywords: perf
I like the title of this one most, confirming this one and marking a few others duplicate. This is still an issue in the Provider 1.0.2.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Duplicate of this bug: 1032522
Duplicate of this bug: 947595
Duplicate of this bug: 936803
Duplicate of this bug: 990488
Duplicate of this bug: 886900
See that too ;-(
Duplicate of this bug: 1101545
Summary: Syncing Lightning w/GDATA Provider blocks UI thread → Syncing Lightning w/GDATA Provider blocks/hangs/freezes UI thread
Attached file Fix - v1 β€”
Assignee: nobody → philipp
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
I've found a way to unblock the UI thread, I had though that Task.jsm does this automatically. Since the UI is usable in the time now, I've also made use of the activity manager to make sure the user knows its still in progress.

I will push this as part of bug 1079189, so consider this FIXED. I will also make this part of the *third* pre-relase version in bug 1106047, please head over there and see if this fixes it. You will have to resubscribe to your calendar to trigger a full synchronization. If this is still an issue in that test version, please reopen this bug.
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 7 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.