If you think a bug might affect users in the 57 release, please set the correct tracking and status flags for Release Management.

Typing in the Location bar with hardware acceleration enabled creates ghost lines

RESOLVED WORKSFORME

Status

()

Core
Graphics
RESOLVED WORKSFORME
3 years ago
3 years ago

People

(Reporter: Noah Leigh, Unassigned)

Tracking

35 Branch
x86_64
Windows 7
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Attachments

(1 attachment)

(Reporter)

Description

3 years ago
Created attachment 8485426 [details]
A screen capture demonstrating the issue in FF 35.0a1

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0
Build ID: 20140902214533

Steps to reproduce:

With hardware acceleration enabled, type into the Location Bar and use backspace to erase text until the "ghost" lines appear.


Actual results:

While typing, grey "ghost" bars will appear at locations where the cursor has been, so they do not appear unless one backspaces.


Expected results:

Those grey lines should never appear.
(Reporter)

Updated

3 years ago
Component: Untriaged → Location Bar

Comment 1

3 years ago
Nope, that definitely shouldn't be happening. Can you open up Help > troubleshooting information, and copy/paste the "Graphics" section on that page into this bugreport?
Flags: needinfo?(noah.d.leigh)

Updated

3 years ago
Component: Location Bar → Graphics
Product: Firefox → Core

Comment 2

3 years ago
Ah, also, I assume that this problem goes away if you restart in safe mode (in the help menu as well, "restart with add-ons disabled" - which contrary to what it suggests, will also disable graphics hardware acceleration)
(Reporter)

Comment 3

3 years ago
(In reply to :Gijs Kruitbosch from comment #1)
> Nope, that definitely shouldn't be happening. Can you open up Help >
> troubleshooting information, and copy/paste the "Graphics" section on that
> page into this bugreport?

Here it is from my Firefox 33.0 Beta:

Adapter Description	Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000
Adapter Description (GPU #2)	NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Adapter Drivers	igdumd64 igd10umd64 igd10umd64 igdumd32 igd10umd32 igd10umd32
Adapter Drivers (GPU #2)	nvd3dumx,nvwgf2umx,nvwgf2umx nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Adapter RAM	Unknown
Adapter RAM (GPU #2)	1024
ClearType Parameters	D [ Gamma: 2200 Pixel Structure: R ClearType Level: 50 Enhanced Contrast: 100 ] D [ Gamma: 2200 Pixel Structure: R ClearType Level: 100 Enhanced Contrast: 200 ]
Device ID	0x0166
Device ID (GPU #2)	0x0fd1
Direct2D Enabled	true
DirectWrite Enabled	true (6.1.7601.18245)
Driver Date	12-12-2012
Driver Date (GPU #2)	10-4-2013
Driver Version	9.17.10.2932
Driver Version (GPU #2)	9.18.13.2745
GPU #2 Active	false
GPU Accelerated Windows	1/1 Direct3D 11 (OMTC)
Vendor ID	0x8086
Vendor ID (GPU #2)	0x10de
WebGL Renderer	Google Inc. -- ANGLE (Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000 Direct3D9Ex vs_3_0 ps_3_0)
windowLayerManagerRemote	true
AzureCanvasBackend	direct2d
AzureContentBackend	direct2d
AzureFallbackCanvasBackend	cairo
AzureSkiaAccelerated	0
Flags: needinfo?(noah.d.leigh)
(Reporter)

Comment 4

3 years ago
(In reply to :Gijs Kruitbosch from comment #2)
> Ah, also, I assume that this problem goes away if you restart in safe mode
> (in the help menu as well, "restart with add-ons disabled" - which contrary
> to what it suggests, will also disable graphics hardware acceleration)

Yes, that's how I determined that the problem was related to Hardware Acceleration and not caused by an add-on as I originally assumed.
I've also noticed that the problem happens in the Find Bar as well.

Comment 5

3 years ago
Thanks for the quick response... one more question from me before I hand this off to graphics folks... can you reproduce the issue on Nightly? ( https://nightly.mozilla.org/ )
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true
Flags: needinfo?(noah.d.leigh)
(Reporter)

Comment 6

3 years ago
(In reply to :Gijs Kruitbosch from comment #5)
> Thanks for the quick response... one more question from me before I hand
> this off to graphics folks... can you reproduce the issue on Nightly? (
> https://nightly.mozilla.org/ )

Yes, this still occurs in the Location Bar, Find Bar, and occasional input fields on pages in Firefox Nightly 35.0a1 (20140908030202). The screen capture that I attached was recorded using Nightly.
Flags: needinfo?(noah.d.leigh)

Comment 7

3 years ago
(In reply to Noah Leigh from comment #6)
> (In reply to :Gijs Kruitbosch from comment #5)
> > Thanks for the quick response... one more question from me before I hand
> > this off to graphics folks... can you reproduce the issue on Nightly? (
> > https://nightly.mozilla.org/ )
> 
> Yes, this still occurs in the Location Bar, Find Bar, and occasional input
> fields on pages in Firefox Nightly 35.0a1 (20140908030202). The screen
> capture that I attached was recorded using Nightly.

D'oh, thanks for confirming - I should have spotted that. :-\

Milan, can you look into this further?
Flags: needinfo?(milan)
Bug 1040987 could be related.
Flags: needinfo?(milan) → needinfo?(bas)
See Also: → bug 1040187
(In reply to Milan Sreckovic [:milan] from comment #8)
> Bug 1040987 could be related.

My guess would be an invalidation related issue, where an anti-aliased edge of the caret is not properly included in the invalid region? That's just a guess though.
Flags: needinfo?(bas) → needinfo?(matt.woodrow)
We changed a lot of the caret code recently in bug 1048752, maybe that's the cause?
Bug 1048752 sounds likely, if we get a regression range then we could know for sure.
Flags: needinfo?(matt.woodrow)
(Reporter)

Comment 12

3 years ago
(In reply to Matt Woodrow (:mattwoodrow) from comment #11)
> Bug 1048752 sounds likely, if we get a regression range then we could know
> for sure.

I can no longer reproduce this behavior in Firefox 35.0 Beta 5, so it may have been fixed by bug 1048752.

Comment 13

3 years ago
(In reply to Noah Leigh from comment #12)
> (In reply to Matt Woodrow (:mattwoodrow) from comment #11)
> > Bug 1048752 sounds likely, if we get a regression range then we could know
> > for sure.
> 
> I can no longer reproduce this behavior in Firefox 35.0 Beta 5, so it may
> have been fixed by bug 1048752.

Is this fixed on all of 35/36/37 ? In that case, it probably just makes sense to close this as WFM.
Flags: needinfo?(noah.d.leigh)
(Reporter)

Comment 14

3 years ago
(In reply to :Gijs Kruitbosch from comment #13)
> (In reply to Noah Leigh from comment #12)
> > (In reply to Matt Woodrow (:mattwoodrow) from comment #11)
> > > Bug 1048752 sounds likely, if we get a regression range then we could know
> > > for sure.
> > 
> > I can no longer reproduce this behavior in Firefox 35.0 Beta 5, so it may
> > have been fixed by bug 1048752.
> 
> Is this fixed on all of 35/36/37 ? In that case, it probably just makes
> sense to close this as WFM.

On my installs of 35, 36, and 37, I cannot reproduce the problem anymore.
Flags: needinfo?(noah.d.leigh)

Comment 15

3 years ago
Please reopen if this is still happening to you on 35 or later. :-)
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 3 years ago
Resolution: --- → WORKSFORME
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.