Created attachment 8487639 [details] Screen Shot 2014-09-11 at 11.25.20 am.png This occurs on all my machines (all mac), no matter the version (I've had this happening for close to a year). I have recently upgraded to Aurora 34, same deal. When a pop-up appears prompting that a new version of firefox is available and you click on the update button, it shows a progress bar with "Download Firefox" "Connecting to the update server". This never completes. I have to manually download the full image, and re-install it. I use IPv6 via a HE.net tunnel if that makes a difference.
Can you try manually connecting to https://aus3.mozilla.org/ ? Presumably that stalls in a similar way? Can you also try, when this happens, opening the browser console (tools > web developer > browser console) and checking if any errors show up when Firefox gets "stuck" trying to connect to the update server?
Hi. it connects fine and redirect to https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/ Will report on the console, going to restart aurora now
As soon as I click on the "Update Aurora" button, the following message appear in the consore: NS_ERROR_FAILURE: Component returned failure code: 0x80004005 (NS_ERROR_FAILURE) [nsIFile.create] FileUtils.jsm:70 FirefoxAurora.app isn't located in the /Applications folder, but instead in /Applications/Custom/Web\ Browsers After relocating FirefoxAurora.app into the /Applications folder, I see that it now download the updates and automatically updated. So I guess the issue appears when the application isn't located in /Applications
Interestingly. I moved FirefoxAurora.app from the /Applications/Custom/Web\ Browsers/ into /Applications/ ; this didn't require me to authenticate to move the application. I then moved it back to /Applications/Custom/Web\ Browsers, was asked to authenticate for the move to proceed. After that, when I started the application, I had to confirm that I was okay to run the app (Apple security thingy). Started properly, and now it updates ! So it appears to be related to permissions of some kind... Maybe an error message of some kind rather than hanging forever would be preferred
What kind of permission bits are set on the /Applications/Custom/Web\ Browsers/ folder?
jyamba:git jyavenard$ ls -la /Applications/Custom/Web\ Browsers/ total 48 drwxrwxr-x+ 19 root wheel 646 11 Sep 19:26 . drwxrwxr-x+ 29 root wheel 986 27 Sep 2012 .. -rwxrwxr--+ 1 root wheel 15364 13 Nov 2013 .DS_Store drwxrwxr-x+ 3 root wheel 102 10 Apr 2008 Camino.app drwxrwxr-x+ 4 root wheel 136 14 Mar 2011 Chrome SPNEGO.app drwxrwxr-x+ 3 root wheel 102 26 Oct 2007 Firefox 2.app drwxrwxr-x+ 3 root wheel 102 6 Mar 2011 Firefox 3.6.app drwxrwxr-x+ 3 root wheel 102 10 Jun 2008 Firefox 3.app drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root wheel 136 17 Jul 14:12 Firefox.app drwxr-xr-x@ 4 jyavenard admin 136 11 Sep 19:27 FirefoxAurora.app drwxrwxr-x@ 3 jyavenard admin 102 20 Aug 06:13 Google Chrome.app I see... Move the file back and forth changed the owner to myself, which explain why suddenly it worked. Deleting the application, and copying once again from the installation dmg: drwxr-xr-x@ 4 root wheel 136 8 Sep 20:52 FirefoxAurora.app and once again, auto update fails. Changing the ownership of the application back to my name, auto update now works.
This was due to bug 1171792 and the fix should be available after updating to Firefox 39.