Closed Bug 1094131 Opened 5 years ago Closed 5 years ago

[Messages][RTL] Ellipsis truncates first part of the LTR contact name in Thread List

Categories

(Firefox OS Graveyard :: Gaia::SMS, defect)

ARM
Gonk (Firefox OS)
defect
Not set

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 883884

People

(Reporter: azasypkin, Unassigned)

References

Details

Attachments

(1 file)

Attached file testcase.html
If LTR contact name/number is the one that should be truncated in RTL mode then it's first part is truncated. The same is for RTL contact name in LTR mode. Please see attached test case and example below (sorry if something wrong with Arabic words - just autotranslate :)):

Thread list with group threads (no truncation, in LTR):

FirstName Last, FirstName Last
------------------------------
FirstName Last, آخر مرة الأولى
------------------------------
آخر مرة الأولى, FirstName Last
------------------------------
آخر مرة الأولى, آخر مرة الأولى
------------------------------
آخر مرة الأولى, +‎1234567890


Thread list with group threads (in LTR):

FirstName Last, First...
------------------------------
FirstName Last, الأولى...
------------------------------
آخر مرة الأولى, FirstNa...
------------------------------
مرة الأولى, آخر مرة الأولى...
------------------------------
آخر مرة الأولى, +‎123456...


Thread list with group threads (no truncation, in RTL):

...Last ,FirstName Last
------------------------------
‎...آخر مر ,FirstName Last 
------------------------------
...ame Last, آخر مرة الأولى
------------------------------
...آخر مرة الأولى, آخر مرة الأ
------------------------------
...4567890 ,آخر مرة الأولى

Though I'm not sure how it really should look like. Maybe Gecko should analyze direction of the word that is going to be truncated and truncate from the correct direction like in example below?

FirstNam..., آخر مرة الأولى
--------------------------
FirstName Last, ...آخر مرة
If it's an issue, then it's more about Gecko and not Messages app, but let's first confirm whether it's correct for the Messages app case.

Ahmed, what are your thoughts on the use case in comment 0?
Flags: needinfo?(nefzaoui.ahmed)
(In reply to Oleg Zasypkin [:azasypkin] from comment #1)
> If it's an issue, then it's more about Gecko and not Messages app, but let's
> first confirm whether it's correct for the Messages app case.
> 
> Ahmed, what are your thoughts on the use case in comment 0?

You're right, it is indeed an issue that seems we can't solve from Gaia, more likely to make Gecko a little smarter when handling such little details.
Otherwise, yes, I agree and the test case describes perfectly the issue.

We may also want to put the ellipsis at the end of the text whether it's rtl or ltr.
for example in RTL

This is wrong:
 ...Last ,FirstName Last
This is right:
 FirstName Last, First...

in a RTL environment, Gecko should understand that this is a language that starts from the left, thus put the ellipsis at the end of it (i.e on the far right).
And same goes for RTL content in LTR view. :)

Hope that answers the question?
Flags: needinfo?(nefzaoui.ahmed)
(In reply to Ahmed Nefzaoui [:Nefzaoui] (Please use needinfo? | Away from 30 OCT to 3 NOV) from comment #2)
> (In reply to Oleg Zasypkin [:azasypkin] from comment #1)
> > If it's an issue, then it's more about Gecko and not Messages app, but let's
> > first confirm whether it's correct for the Messages app case.
> > 
> > Ahmed, what are your thoughts on the use case in comment 0?
> 
> You're right, it is indeed an issue that seems we can't solve from Gaia,
> more likely to make Gecko a little smarter when handling such little details.
> Otherwise, yes, I agree and the test case describes perfectly the issue.
> 
> We may also want to put the ellipsis at the end of the text whether it's rtl
> or ltr.
> for example in RTL
> 
> This is wrong:
>  ...Last ,FirstName Last
> This is right:
>  FirstName Last, First...
> 
> in a RTL environment, Gecko should understand that this is a language that
> starts from the left, thus put the ellipsis at the end of it (i.e on the far
> right).
> And same goes for RTL content in LTR view. :)
> 
> Hope that answers the question?

Yep, thanks!

Hey Ehsan, do you think it's possible to do something from Gecko side to handle this issue?
Flags: needinfo?(ehsan.akhgari)
I'm not sure if this is exactly the same issue as bug 883884, but the discussion there and linked from there to www-style is probably relevant.
Yeah, sounds similar, thanks for pointing this out!
See Also: → 883884
If I'm reading this right, this is just a dupe of bug 883884.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 5 years ago
Flags: needinfo?(ehsan.akhgari)
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Duplicate of bug: 883884
See Also: → 1138350
Alissa: please update your TC as it is not correct. Also, please note that you have created a TC from a Resolved Duplicate bug. Please prefer and rely on original bugs for this. thanks
Flags: needinfo?(huayu.li)
(In reply to Delphine Lebédel [:delphine - use need info] from comment #8)
> Alissa: please update your TC as it is not correct. Also, please note that
> you have created a TC from a Resolved Duplicate bug. Please prefer and rely
> on original bugs for this. thanks

Thank you for your reminder, I have update it.
Flags: needinfo?(huayu.li)
Per comment 7
Flags: in-moztrap+
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.