Open Bug 1095968 Opened 6 years ago Updated 7 months ago
medium CPU while idling?
couple days ago, on laptop, 36.0a1 (2014-10-26) using 15-20% CPU. no mail activity afack, nor indexing, nor moving progress bar. http://people.mozilla.org/~bgirard/cleopatra/?1415376821103#report=ff32a9e58c98eda916e3cf5984e5cf032be754b7
(In reply to Wayne Mery (:wsmwk) from comment #0) > couple days ago, on laptop, 36.0a1 (2014-10-26) using 15-20% CPU. > no mail activity afack, nor indexing, nor moving progress bar. If "check for new messages every NN minutes" is enabled, Tb communicates with server every NN minutes, even when new mail doesn't exist at mail server. If automatic purge such as "delete mails by Retention setting" is enabled, MsgPurge checks mail folders periodically in order to do automatic purge job, regardless of existence of "mail which should be deleted". If many mail folders have been opened while Tb is running, MsgDB(.msf file) of the many mail folders are closed while Tb is in idle. This is behavior from Tb 3. From Tb 3, msgDB is closed after threshold of inactivity period. If PC goes into sleep mode, power supply to network adapter is usually stopped for power saving. This causes "going offline mode, then going back to online mode" when power supply to network adapter card is resumed by wake-up. This kind of events my invoke Tb's excess works for recovery from network failure. Some simple methods to know "what Tb is doing while idling" : (a) Use File Access Monitor Tool, and check Tb's file access while Tb is in idle. "What files are read/written by Tb" is a good information to know "What Tb is doing". (b) If Win, NSPR log for ALL:5(or something) and NSPR_LOG_FILE=WinDebug, with DebugView installed/started. While Tb is active, stop Capture of DebugView. While Tb is in idle, start Capture of DebugView. (c) Check difference between "Work Offline mode when you think Tb is in idle" and ""Keep Work Online mode when you think Tb is in idle". Network related activities can be ruled out by "Work Offline mode". If server access is relevant, imap:5, pop3:5 etc. is helpful. If server access is irrelevant, msgDB:5, msgpurge:5 etc. may be helpful.
(In reply to WADA from comment #1) > (In reply to Wayne Mery (:wsmwk) from comment #0) > > couple days ago, on laptop, 36.0a1 (2014-10-26) using 15-20% CPU. > > no mail activity afack, nor indexing, nor moving progress bar. > > If "check for new messages every NN minutes" is enabled, Tb communicates > with server every NN minutes, even when new mail doesn't exist at mail > server This high CPU was consistent over a relatively long period with no incoming messages afaict, so CPU should be near zero. Also, accounts are set to "Use IDLE". profiler shows 75% of time spent in mozilla::widget::WinUtils::WaitForMessage(unsigned long). Of the other 25%, 10% is in JIT. Profiler lists no activity in POP or imap code.
Flags: needinfo?(vseerror) → needinfo?(luca.moscato)
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.