Constant Freezing for minutes at a time with “Searching Folder...” in status bar, busy spinner, and "(Not Responding)" in title bar when using unified folders with gmail account on both Mac and Windows

RESOLVED INCOMPLETE

Status

--
major
RESOLVED INCOMPLETE
4 years ago
2 years ago

People

(Reporter: old.square.eyes, Unassigned)

Tracking

(Blocks: 1 bug, {perf})

x86_64
Windows 7

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: [needs profile])

Attachments

(1 attachment)

(Reporter)

Description

4 years ago
Created attachment 8521861 [details]
Screenshot 2014-10-29 10.26.24.png

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:33.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/33.0
Build ID: 20141106120505

Steps to reproduce:

Thunderbird 31.2 freezes constantly with the spinning Windows 7 wheel and "(Not responding)" in the title bar, and often times with "Searching folder" in the bottom notification area.

I have 3 IMAP acounts, one Gmail, and two self hosted.

I have....

:: Unchecked "Enable Global Search and Indexer" from advanced settings
:: Set each each set to sync only 120 days
:: Not download messages over 50kb
:: Unsubscribed from the "All mail folder"
:: Tried a fresh install of Thunderbird, but I also used to have this problem on OSX so it must be something to do with my Google account or a much wider problem
:: Followed Google's own Thunderbird recommended optimizations https://support.google.com/mail/answer/78892?hl=en 

Starting with add-ons disabled makes no difference. But taking it off unified folder view seems to help a little. I still get way too many spinning wheels, but at least it doesn't lock up.




Actual results:

Thunderbird freezes and locks up for minutes at a time. I can't click anywhere untill it finished whatever it's doing.


Expected results:

I expect Thunderbird not to freeze up all the time. It's unusable. I love Mozilla and their support for privacy. But if it's unusable I can't use it:(
(Reporter)

Updated

4 years ago
Severity: normal → major
(Reporter)

Comment 1

4 years ago
Just wanted to add that I moved back to OSX 10.10.1, Thunderbird 31.1, and am having the same problem. The freezes are still there, and the app locks up with "searching folder" in the title bar. It usually happens when clicking on Thunderbird in the dock. It's as if bringing the app into focus triggers a query to the IMAP server, which is fine, but I don't believe all other functions of the app should lock up. Clicking anywhere in the window produces the Mac spinning beach ball, until whatever process finishes. It seems shorter on the Mac (about 15 seconds), but maybe it's because I have gotten used to leaving the app and coming back a minute or so later.
Do you have Time Machine enabled and running on the Mac?

If not ...
1. Please start Thunderbird with logging enabled to capature an example time frame using ImapAutoSync:5,imap:5,msgdb:1,timestamp per https://wiki.mozilla.org/MailNews:Logging
2. And is it predictable _enough_ that, in say 5 attempts, you can capture one example with profiler enabled?  https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Performance/Reporting_a_Thunderbird_Performance_Problem_with_G
Blocks: 402793
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
(Reporter)

Comment 3

4 years ago
I do have time machine, but my backup hard drive is not always connected. This happens then too. Do you still want me to do 1 & 2 above?
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
Yes please
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
Keywords: perf
Summary: Constant Freezing “Searching Folder” → Constant Freezing “Searching Folder” in status bar when using unified folders
(Reporter)

Comment 5

4 years ago
Can you explain #1 a bit better? What would my .command file look like?

This?...

#!/bin/sh
export NSPR_LOG_MODULES=imap:5
export NSPR_LOG_FILE=$HOME/imap.log
/Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird-bin &
if on 10.5 change the above line to arch -arch i386 /Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird-bin &
ImapAutoSync:5,imap:5,msgdb:1,timestamp

Also for number two, I have captured an instance of the freeze with the Gecko Profiler. Is any personal data collected? Should I PM that to you?
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
1. looks good.  except you want ImapAutoSync:5,imap:5,msgdb:1,timestamp

2. profiler has no personal data
(Reporter)

Comment 7

4 years ago
I have emailed you the link to #2
(Reporter)

Comment 8

4 years ago
As for #1 I have created the file, set the permissions, and run it. It opens Thunderbird, but I can't see where to grab the logged info.
(Reporter)

Comment 9

4 years ago
OK I found the log file in my user folder. I emailed that to you as well.
Thanks for the info. However, it is lacking in two ways:

1. I see only an imap protocol.  Perhaps I gave you bad advice. Your export needs to be
 ImapAutoSync:5,imap:5,msgdb:4,timestamp

2. The profile run is missing symbols, so I think you may need to use a nightly build from https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-central/ 

Backup your profile before using the nightly.  And, make sure time machine is not running.
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
(Reporter)

Comment 11

4 years ago
#!/bin/sh
export NSPR_LOG_MODULES=imap:5
export NSPR_LOG_FILE=$HOME/imap.log
/Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird-bin &
if on 10.5 change the above line to arch -arch i386 /Applications/Thunderbird.app/Contents/MacOS/thunderbird-bin &
ImapAutoSync:5,imap:5,msgdb:1,timestamp

Is what I used. That log file was the only one that was created.
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
Let us know when you have data according to comment 10


data from comment 11...

profile: http://people.mozilla.org/~bgirard/cleopatra/?1423015041220#report=291702c1def9926c2f83c8a1b5527542827d3ce3&selection=0,1,7

partial log...
626528256[11b8a94b0]: 24f1e800:imap.googlemail.com:S-INBOX:SendData: 12 getquotaroot "INBOX"
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=24 needmore=0]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: 24f1e800:imap.googlemail.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: * QUOTAROOT "INBOX" ""
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=39 needmore=0]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: 24f1e800:imap.googlemail.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: * QUOTA "" (STORAGE 4625131 15728640)
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=15 needmore=0]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: 24f1e800:imap.googlemail.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: 12 OK Success
626528256[11b8a94b0]: 24f1e800:imap.googlemail.com:S-INBOX:SendData: 13 UID fetch 42349:* (FLAGS)
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=58 needmore=0]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: 24f1e800:imap.googlemail.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: * 36862 FETCH (UID 42348 MODSEQ (4208742) FLAGS (\Seen))
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=15 needmore=0]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: 24f1e800:imap.googlemail.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: 13 OK Success
626528256[11b8a94b0]: 24f1e800:imap.googlemail.com:S-INBOX:SendData: 14 uid SEARCH UNDELETED
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=0 needmore=1]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: ReadNextLine [stream=1f505b30 nb=215335 needmore=0]
626528256[11b8a94b0]: 24f1e800:imap.googlemail.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: * SEARCH 3561 3587 3593 3594 3602 3604 3605 3606 3609 3616 3632 3635 3641 3642 3643 3648 3649 3650 3652 3657 3659 3668 3669 3670 3690 3693 3699 3705 3709 3721 3725 3727 3731 3739 3740 3741 3743 3756 3766 3767 3772 3775 3780 3786 3793 3794 3795 3798 3806 3814 3817 3822 3825 3826 3832 3834 3850 3851 3854 3866 3868 3869 3873 3874 3881 3885 3909 3910 3911 3929 3930 3931 3935 3944 3948 3949 3964 3968 
... 
continues for about 500 lines like the line above
Component: Search → Networking: IMAP
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
Product: Thunderbird → MailNews Core
Summary: Constant Freezing “Searching Folder” in status bar when using unified folders → Constant Freezing for minutes at a time with “Searching Folder” in status bar when using unified folders with gmail account
(In reply to Wayne Mery (:wsmwk) from comment #12) 
> data from comment 11...

No timestamp, even though you are analyzing performance relevant issue...

>  13 UID fetch 42349:* (FLAGS)

Oh, CONDSTORE is not disabled...

>  14 uid SEARCH UNDELETED

I didn't know Tb uses SEARCH UNDELETED...

>  * SEARCH 3561
> 3587 3593 3594 3602 3604 3605 3606 3609 3616 3632 3635 3641 3642 3643 3648
> (snip)
> 3869 3873 3874 3881 3885 3909 3910 3911 3929 3930 3931 3935 3944 3948 3949
> continues for about 500 lines like the line above

Vary many UIDs in single response...
How many mails do you keep in Inbox of the Gmail IMAP account?

"Searching..." is perhaps corresponds to this "uid SEARCH UNDELETE".
And, ""Searching... is shown for lng time" indictes that it takes long to process SEARCH UNDELETE response.
I don't know when Tb issues "uid SEARCH UNDELETED".
But "uid SEARCH UNDELETED" is perhaps a result of "SELECT Inbox + uid fetch 1:* Flags (CHANGEDSINCE known_modseq)" used by CONDSTORE support.
If CONDSTORE support is disabled, Tb uses "SELECT Inbox + uid fetch 1:* Flags".
In this case, "one UID per a response line", so lo---ng single response won't occur, and  because "known UID is actually existing, and  unknown UD is actually non-existent" is guranteed by full resync after SELECT, Tb perhaps never uses "uid SELECT UNDELETE".

As known by bug 912216, Tb's CONDSTORE support has problems.
Disable CONDSTORE support.
Does problem still occur?
If parsing of SELECT UNDELETED response is simply "get Next token, then append to mutableArray" + "finally sort" like one, performance problem usually won't occur.
I guess issue like ""get Next token, then append to mutableArray, and tries to keep ascending order upon each append, so sort is done for each append of a UID". It may be similar issue to bug 872869.

Why "uid SEARCH UNDELETE".is issued may be "Unified Folder==Search Folder(Virtual Folder)" and "partial resync due to CONDSTORE support". .
(Reporter)

Comment 15

4 years ago
I do have a lot of emails in my inbox (doesn't everyone?), and I also use labels (six, not including the gmail defaults). I see there is a patch on the other link. How do I run this to disable CONDSTORE?

Interesting though don't you think that things are much quicker with unified inbox off?
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
"writing bug number in comment at B.M.O" means "read pointed bug, please" frequently. Have you "*read*" pointed bugs?.
Following is imap log for "Unified Folder" open and "Search Folder" open.
As for "SELECT UNDELED" command use, no difference was observed between "Saved Search Folder" and "Unified Folder".
   (a) Saved Search Folder             : Search Target = Inbox of 2 imap accounts : imap.mail.yahoo.com, imap.gmail.com
                                                         Condition = Match All,
                                                        "Online Search" option : Checked
   (b) Unified Folder named Inbox  : Search Target = Inbox of all IMAP accounts + Inbox of all non-IMAP mail account
                                                         Condition = Match All,
                                                        "Online Search" option = Grayed out. Not checked status.
                                                        (it seems that Tb always uses Online Search when Unified Folder)
If Online Search of Search Folder, usually "not Match All" and other modifier such as "KEYWORD $label1" is added("Tag contains Important" case), so not so many UID is returned to SEARCH commnd. 
There was no difference between "CONDSTORE is enabled" and "CONDSTORE is disabled".
CONDSTORE is relevant to "CHANGEDSINCE is used or not" upon "uid fetch 1:* Flags" for resync after SELECT Mbox.

> 00000003	8:51:01.077	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: 8db8800:imap.mail.yahoo.com:S-INBOX:SendData: 6 uid SEARCH UNDELETED 	
> 00000004	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: ReadNextLine [stream=b547248 nb=1639 needmore=0]	
> 00000005	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: 8db8800:imap.mail.yahoo.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: * SEARCH 285 287 288 289 290 293 359 429 430 433 434 500 1121 1132 1136 1142 1143 1146 1150 1157 1168 1179 1189 1202 1204 1206 1208 1209 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1242 1243 1244 1245 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1266 1272 1281 1288 1292 1294 1296 1301 1314 1460 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 185	
> 00000006	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: 6 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1876 1877 1878 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 194	
> 00000007	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: 0 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 202	
> 00000008	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: 4 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2078 2088 2117 2130 2150 2151 2181 2297 2372 2383 2384 2385 2386 2396 2397 2400 2401 2402 2403 2404 2405 2406 2417 2418 2419 2420 2421 2422 2423 2424 2425 2426 2427 2428 2429 2430 2431 2432 2433 2434 2435 2436 2437 2438 2439 2440 2441 2442 2443 2444 2445 2446 2447 2448 2449 2450 2451 2452 2453 2454 2455 2456 2457 2458 2459 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 246	
> 00000009	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: 5 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472  	
> 00000010	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: ReadNextLine [stream=b547248 nb=27 needmore=0]	
> 00000011	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: 8db8800:imap.mail.yahoo.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: 6 OK UID SEARCH completed 	
> 
> 00000017	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3656[1012320]: 876e800:imap.gmail.com:S-INBOX:SendData: 25 uid SEARCH UNDELETED 	
> 00000018	8:51:01.562	[2812] 3656[1012320]: ReadNextLine [stream=a8f5a60 nb=806 needmore=0]	
> 00000019	8:51:01.562	[2812] 3656[1012320]: 876e800:imap.gmail.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: * SEARCH 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958	
> 00000020	8:51:01.562	[2812] 3656[1012320]:  959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 	
> 00000021	8:51:01.562	[2812] 3656[1012320]: 1047 	
> 00000022	8:51:01.562	[2812] 3656[1012320]: ReadNextLine [stream=a8f5a60 nb=34 needmore=0]	
> 00000023	8:51:01.562	[2812] 3656[1012320]: 876e800:imap.gmail.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: 25 OK SEARCH completed (Success) 	

Yahoo! imap looks to insert new line at "where he wants" instead of "between two UIDs as done by Gmail imap".

Do you see your problem with following?
  (1) Disable CONDSTORE support of Tb in order to surely rule out unwanted/excess problems.
  (2) At View/Folders/All, create a "Saved Search Folder" under "Local Folders" psuedo account in Tb. Call "Gmail_Inbox".
        Saved Search Folder named "Gmail_Inbox" under "Local Folders" :
             Search Target = Inbox of one Gmail IMAP account in whch pretty many mails are kept.
             Condition = Match All,
             Online Search option : Checked
(In reply to WADA from comment #17)
> Following is imap log for "Unified Folder" open and "Search Folder" open.
> As for "SELECT UNDELED" command use, no difference was observed between
> "Saved Search Folder" and "Unified Folder".
>    (a) Saved Search Folder             : Search Target = Inbox of 2 imap
> accounts : imap.mail.yahoo.com, imap.gmail.com
>                                                          Condition = Match
> All,
>                                                         "Online Search"
> option : Checked
>    (b) Unified Folder named Inbox  : Search Target = Inbox of all IMAP
> accounts + Inbox of all non-IMAP mail account
>                                                          Condition = Match
> All,
>                                                         "Online Search"
> option = Grayed out. Not checked status.
>                                                         (it seems that Tb
> always uses Online Search when Unified Folder)
> If Online Search of Search Folder, usually "not Match All" and other
> modifier such as "KEYWORD $label1" is added("Tag contains Important" case),
> so not so many UID is returned to SEARCH commnd. 
> There was no difference between "CONDSTORE is enabled" and "CONDSTORE is
> disabled".
> CONDSTORE is relevant to "CHANGEDSINCE is used or not" upon "uid fetch 1:*
> Flags" for resync after SELECT Mbox.
> 
> > 00000003	8:51:01.077	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: 8db8800:imap.mail.yahoo.com:S-INBOX:SendData: 6 uid SEARCH UNDELETED 	
> > 00000004	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: ReadNextLine [stream=b547248 nb=1639 needmore=0]	
> > 00000005	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: 8db8800:imap.mail.yahoo.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: * SEARCH 285 287 288 289 290 293 359 429 430 433 434 500 1121 1132 1136 1142 1143 1146 1150 1157 1168 1179 1189 1202 1204 1206 1208 1209 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 1226 1227 1228 1229 1230 1232 1233 1234 1235 1236 1237 1238 1239 1240 1242 1243 1244 1245 1258 1259 1260 1261 1262 1266 1272 1281 1288 1292 1294 1296 1301 1314 1460 1850 1851 1852 1853 1854 1855 185	
> > 00000006	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: 6 1857 1858 1859 1860 1861 1862 1863 1864 1865 1866 1867 1868 1869 1870 1871 1872 1873 1874 1876 1877 1878 1880 1881 1882 1883 1884 1885 1886 1887 1888 1889 1890 1891 1892 1893 1894 1895 1896 1897 1898 1899 1900 1901 1902 1903 1904 1905 1906 1907 1908 1909 1910 1911 1912 1913 1914 1915 1916 1917 1918 1919 1920 1921 1922 1923 1924 1925 1926 1929 1930 1931 1932 1933 1934 1935 1936 1937 1938 1939 194	
> > 00000007	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: 0 1941 1942 1943 1944 1945 1946 1947 1948 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1954 1955 1956 1957 1958 1959 1960 1961 1962 1963 1964 1965 1966 1967 1968 1969 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976 1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 1988 1989 1990 1991 1992 1995 1996 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 2021 2022 2023 202	
> > 00000008	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: 4 2025 2026 2027 2028 2029 2030 2031 2032 2033 2078 2088 2117 2130 2150 2151 2181 2297 2372 2383 2384 2385 2386 2396 2397 2400 2401 2402 2403 2404 2405 2406 2417 2418 2419 2420 2421 2422 2423 2424 2425 2426 2427 2428 2429 2430 2431 2432 2433 2434 2435 2436 2437 2438 2439 2440 2441 2442 2443 2444 2445 2446 2447 2448 2449 2450 2451 2452 2453 2454 2455 2456 2457 2458 2459 2460 2461 2462 2463 2464 246	
> > 00000009	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: 5 2466 2467 2468 2469 2470 2471 2472  	
> > 00000010	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: ReadNextLine [stream=b547248 nb=27 needmore=0]	
> > 00000011	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3144[1013d60]: 8db8800:imap.mail.yahoo.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: 6 OK UID SEARCH completed 	
> > 
> > 00000017	8:51:01.327	[2812] 3656[1012320]: 876e800:imap.gmail.com:S-INBOX:SendData: 25 uid SEARCH UNDELETED 	
> > 00000018	8:51:01.562	[2812] 3656[1012320]: ReadNextLine [stream=a8f5a60 nb=806 needmore=0]	
> > 00000019	8:51:01.562	[2812] 3656[1012320]: 876e800:imap.gmail.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: * SEARCH 861 862 863 864 865 866 867 868 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 880 881 882 883 884 885 886 887 888 889 890 891 892 893 894 895 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 926 927 928 929 930 931 932 933 934 935 936 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958	
> > 00000020	8:51:01.562	[2812] 3656[1012320]:  959 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 971 972 973 974 975 976 977 978 979 980 981 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 993 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 	
> > 00000021	8:51:01.562	[2812] 3656[1012320]: 1047 	
> > 00000022	8:51:01.562	[2812] 3656[1012320]: ReadNextLine [stream=a8f5a60 nb=34 needmore=0]	
> > 00000023	8:51:01.562	[2812] 3656[1012320]: 876e800:imap.gmail.com:S-INBOX:CreateNewLineFromSocket: 25 OK SEARCH completed (Success) 	
> 
> Yahoo! imap looks to insert new line at "where he wants" instead of "between
> two UIDs as done by Gmail imap".
> 
> Do you see your problem with following?
>   (1) Disable CONDSTORE support of Tb in order to surely rule out
> unwanted/excess problems.

specifically bug 912216 comment 6

How to disable CONDSTORE support by Tb manually.
  Disable CONDSTORE support by Tb for all IMAP accounts.
    mail.server.default.use_condstore = false
  Disable CONDSTORE support by Tb for each IMAP accountFYI. independently.
    mail.server.server#.use_condstore = false

>   (2) At View/Folders/All, create a "Saved Search Folder" under "Local
> Folders" psuedo account in Tb. Call "Gmail_Inbox".
>         Saved Search Folder named "Gmail_Inbox" under "Local Folders" :
>              Search Target = Inbox of one Gmail IMAP account in whch pretty
> many mails are kept.
>              Condition = Match All,
>              Online Search option : Checked
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
(Reporter)

Comment 19

4 years ago
You'll have to forgive me, a mere user. Much of the level of this trouble shooting is beyond me. I did actually read that thread, and Googled how to apply TB patches.

How to disable CONDSTORE support by Tb manually.
  Disable CONDSTORE support by Tb for all IMAP accounts.
    mail.server.default.use_condstore = false
  Disable CONDSTORE support by Tb for each IMAP accountFYI. independently.
    mail.server.server#.use_condstore = false

The above doesn't tell me how to do anything. Are you talking about going to the about:config screen? Above are only a couple of settings. There are quite a few more in the patch so I figured it would be more proficient to apply that. Only thing is that I don't know how to do that. Which is why I asked:)
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
(In reply to Mark from comment #19)
> The above doesn't tell me how to do anything. Are you talking about going to the about:config screen?

Yes. In Thunderbird, about:config is carefully hidden, because it's dangerous for general users :-)
    (Win) Tools -> Options -> Advanced -> General ->  Config Editor
    (Mac) Preference- > Advanced -> General ->  Config Editor
I want Help->about:about for quick access to about:config :-)
(Reporter)

Comment 21

4 years ago
OK thanks for clarifying that. I updated "mail.server.default.use_condstore = false" (I couldn't find any records for the other setting under each server, I tried adding the setting by pasting the full line into the adress bar i.e. "mail.server.server1.use_condstore = false", but that didn't appear to make the record/setting stick).

Unfortunately, after a restart of Thunderbird I'm still seeing the same freezing with a "searching folder" and beach ball (OSX).
(Reporter)

Comment 22

4 years ago
Saving a search folder is problematic. "Online Search Option" is greyed out. Also when I save/create the search folder, it tells me "You must choose at least one folder to search for the saved search folder." Even though I have already selected the Gmail IMAP inbox.
(Reporter)

Comment 23

4 years ago
Actually I got the search folder to work now. I had selected the row, but it was not obvious that the dot/bulletpoint was actually a check box by the folder.
(In reply to Mark from comment #21)

Option not held in mailnews.js is not shown in about:config.
To add mail.server.server1.use_condstore = false, you need to do;
   1.  At Context menu, New ->  choose type. "in this case, Boolean, becuse true/flase option.
   2. Paste the name, set vlue
(Reporter)

Comment 25

4 years ago
OK thanks for that. I have done it. The issue remains. Interesting though that the search folder that I created is very quick at refreshing. It seems to be an issue with the unified folder. FYI this account has 37000 emails.
(In reply to Mark from comment #25)
> Interesting though that the search folder that I created is very quick at refreshing.

If just after restart, "uid fetch 1:* Flags" + "uid SEARCH UNDELETED" is issued.
If refreshing of the Search Folder, "uid SEARCH UNDELETED" only is issued.
No problem on the Search Folder just after restart of Tb, or after "go Work Offline, go back Work Online"?

> The issue remains. 
> Interesting though that the search folder that I created is very quick at refreshing.
> It seems to be an issue with the unified folder. FYI this account has 37000 emails.

If so, cause is perhaps different Inbox.
Do you keep big Inbox on other IMAP accounts?
How about Inbox of POP3 accounts?
How about Inbox of "Local Folders"?

As known by Folder Properties of Unified Inbox folder at View/Folder/Unfied, "Unified Inbox" is;
   (b) Unified Folder named Inbox  : Search Target = Inbox of all IMAP accounts + Inbox of all non-IMAP mail account
                                                         Condition = Match All,
                                                        "Online Search" option = Grayed out. Not checked status.
Create Search Folder  for each Search Target Folder of Unfied Inbox.
For which folder is your problem observed?
FYI.
File/New/Saved Search... can be used to create Search Folder.
Mark, please see questions in comment 26
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
(Reporter)

Comment 29

4 years ago
It seems to do with Thunderbird and my Gmail IMAP account. The searching folder freeze only happens in unified inbox. Currently I don't use this feature because it interrupts my workflow too much. The experience is that one of two things are happening... either that in unified inbox, Gmail is being checked too long and too often, and/ or the UI locks up while emails are being checked/updated. When not in unified inbox the UI doesn't lock, and the wait/check times are acceptable.

Using unified inbox on Android K9 does not have this problem, which makes me think that it's not an account issue. And that it's a Thunderbird unified/UI issue.

For the questions above..

No problem on the Search Folder just after restart of Tb, or after "go Work Offline, go back Work Online"? - I don't understand if this is a question.

If so, cause is perhaps different Inbox.
Do you keep big Inbox on other IMAP accounts? - Define big? I only Sync 30days and messages under 50kb. My Gmail is by far the biggest.
How about Inbox of POP3 accounts? - I don't use POP3 currently
How about Inbox of "Local Folders"? - No local folders
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
How does it behave with version 38 beta from http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/channel/ ?
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
(Reporter)

Comment 31

4 years ago
Hi, I have been on Beta for a couple of weeks and it makes no difference. Perhaps the lock ups are slightly less frequent, but that might just be me being optimistic.
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
(Reporter)

Comment 32

4 years ago
This is obviously a long running problem.

http://superuser.com/questions/437117/thunderbird-very-slow-with-gmail/923085#923085
(Reporter)

Comment 33

4 years ago
Come on guys. I have narrowed this down to be able to cause and solve this problem.

In unified inbox, right click on inbox -> properties -> uncheck search online.

Then the fun begins. Hitting Update at this point does nothing! Hitting cancel does save the preference though. Until you restart Thunderbird and it's selected itself again!!
(In reply to Mark from comment #29)
> 
> No problem on the Search Folder just after restart of Tb, or after "go Work
> Offline, go back Work Online"? - I don't understand if this is a question.

It is two questions
-  No problem on the Search Folder just after starting THunderbird?
-  No problem on the Search Folder just after "File > Work > Offline, then go back Work Online"?


> If so, cause is perhaps different Inbox.
> Do you keep big Inbox on other IMAP accounts? - Define big? I only Sync
> 30days and messages under 50kb. My Gmail is by far the biggest.

number of messages in each Inbox would be a nice start


(In reply to Mark from comment #31)
> Hi, I have been on Beta for a couple of weeks and it makes no difference.
> Perhaps the lock ups are slightly less frequent, but that might just be me
> being optimistic.

What is your current thinking on this - less frequent? Or no change?


We could use a better profile run. Can you get a new profile please?  
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Performance/Reporting_a_Thunderbird_Performance_Problem_with_G
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
Summary: Constant Freezing for minutes at a time with “Searching Folder” in status bar when using unified folders with gmail account → Constant Freezing for minutes at a time with “Searching Folder...” in status bar, busy spinner, and "(Not Responding)" in title bar when using unified folders with gmail account
(In reply to Mark from comment #33)
> Come on guys. I have narrowed this down to be able to cause and solve this
> problem.

Indeed you've gone to great lengths.  Unfortunately I can't reproduce.  And with only 36k messages in your combined inboxes, the obvious way for there to be a performance issue is if any msf files are being rebuilt for the underlying Inboxes.

I've updated the instructions at https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Performance/Reporting_a_Thunderbird_Performance_Problem_with_G   A new profile using the latest version 38 would be a great help
Whiteboard: [closeme 2016-04-01][needs profile]
(Reporter)

Comment 36

3 years ago
HI all, I appreciate your work but I cannot spend any more time on this. I have, unfortunately had to move to web based clients as performance was too slow and frustrating for me. Thank you again for your time, I know it's not easy.
Flags: needinfo?(old.square.eyes)
Thanks for the update
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 3 years ago
Resolution: --- → INCOMPLETE
Summary: Constant Freezing for minutes at a time with “Searching Folder...” in status bar, busy spinner, and "(Not Responding)" in title bar when using unified folders with gmail account → Constant Freezing for minutes at a time with “Searching Folder...” in status bar, busy spinner, and "(Not Responding)" in title bar when using unified folders with gmail account on both Mac and Windows
Whiteboard: [closeme 2016-04-01][needs profile] → [needs profile]

Comment 38

2 years ago
Ok, as a newbie experiencing this exact problem, and completely daunted by this long, opaque, and highly technical thread, "I've moved on" is an the answer I was hoping for. Am I to understand that the resolution to this issue is "Don't use Thunderbird"? Is there a summary of this somewhere with guidance for newbies as to how to make this email client usable? A straightforward answer would be most appreciated. Thanks.
(In reply to David Kantor from comment #38)
> Ok, as a newbie experiencing this exact problem, and completely daunted by
> this long, opaque, and highly technical thread, "I've moved on" is an the
> answer I was hoping for. Am I to understand that the resolution to this
> issue is "Don't use Thunderbird"? Is there a summary of this somewhere with
> guidance for newbies as to how to make this email client usable? A
> straightforward answer would be most appreciated. Thanks.

start with https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Testing:Memory_Usage_Problems then if you still have trouble please post a support request at https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/new

Comment 40

2 years ago
Ok, I was really hoping for a straightforward answer. That "Memory Usage Problems" is a very daunting, technical document to make new users go through just to get this app working. I don't recall ever having to do that for any of the other email clients I've ever used in the last 20 or so year. I think instead I'm going to look for an email client that works right, so you don't have to be a programmer and go through 25 steps of "Troubleshooting memory usage problems" just to be able to use it to write an email.

Comment 41

2 years ago
BTW those instructions seem to be out of date, contain a lot of information and steps that simply don't reflect reality of where things are and what they're called or if they're even actually available. You shouldn't be sending newbies to waste their time trying to figure them out, it's pointless.
- I'll be happy to take your suggestsions offline.  But it intentionally attempts to cover all the possibilities  (And yes, a better doc is needed. That takes someone's time.)
- If you have interest in staying with Thunderbird, I don't think anyone said you had to go through all the steps. And it is ordered such that the more common issues are at the top.  users do what they are motivated to do - but zero effort isn't what we are looking for when trying to help seomeone. 

> Am I to understand that the resolution to this issue is "Don't use Thunderbird"?

I don't see how you reach that conclusion - because clearly multiple people invested a lot of time. Unfortunately we did not find the cause of Mark's issue.

Comment 43

2 years ago
I've been dealing with this issue of Thunderbird (Ubuntu 16.04) freezing up very frequently (anecdotally, whenever I click on it and "really need to use it"), and have been searching endlessly for a solution.  I used unified inboxes, and that seems to be where the problem originated in my case.  What worked for me (solved going on a week now) was to right-click on the Inbox (underneath it are all the various inboxes that are unified within it), choose Properties, then unselect the checkbox "Search Online".  I also went into the global Thunderbird preferences, Advanced tab, General sub-tab, deselect "Enable Global Search and Indexer".  Hope this is helpful to others!
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.