From Bugzilla Helper: User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; rv:0.9.5) Gecko/20011011 BuildID: 2001101117 Using either strict numeric or alphanumeric codes, most of the letters of the Greek alphabet do not render correctly. Either a large question mark or the astrological symbol for Leo in a rounded square shows up. This occurs using Latin-1, UTF-8, and ISO-8859 character encodings. Attempts to print pages containing these characters also cause Mozilla to crash. Reproducible: Always Steps to Reproduce: 1. Go to the specified URL for an example. 2. Compare the screen shot JPG with whatever you see. 3. Try to print if you like. A list of fonts installed is included in the URL above. To repeat it's <http://www.bmb.psu.edu/courses/psu16/sypes/fonttest.html>
Reporter: Your build is really old. Please try a more recent build: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/nightly/latest/MacMozillaInstall.sea.bin
I had not updated for a while due to another bug (key strokes resulting in double inputs = Bug # 106022). Now that that bug is resolved, I've just installed Build ID #2001111514. Nothing has changed; the rendering is the same as with the previous build.
No dupes found. Marking NEW. Is Layout the right place for this?
I am now using build ID 2001121104. The improper rendering is still present. No change I have also added to the example URL <http://www.bmb.psu.edu/courses/psu16/sypes/fonttest.html> pages using CSS. -Michael
Now using build ID 2002011003. No improvement/change.
On Mandrake 8.1, I get three lines of "abc" and two lines of a greek alpha character, as is expected, for all three test cases. What we need is someone else on Mac to see what they get. Pinkerton?
bryner looked at the test pages with a month old build on Mac OS X, and got exactly the same results as me.
Now using build ID 2002012103. No improvement/change.
Now using Build ID 2002020405 No improvement/change See <http://www.bmb.psu.edu/courses/psu16/sypes/fonttest.html> Note: I'm using Mac OS 8.6, not OS X (Standards are great, IF they work.)
Just installed Build ID 2002022603. Still doesn't work properly.
Just downloaded build ID 2002040208. Still no change. Characters do not render when coded according to "standards".
Telling us that there is no change doesn't really help (but thanks anyway). The problem is that none of our developers seem to be able to reproduce this problem, so we have nothing to work on. All I can really recommend is to get the source code and try debugging it yourself; I'm sure we'd be happy to help.
Accessing [http://www.hclrss.demon.co.uk/unicode/greek.html], it appears Mac/2002080208/9.2.2 handles the small-letter greek symbols just fine, except for some archaic and extended characters, which probably aren't included in the Mac Greek fonts. Do you agree, Michael?
I haven't found anything to download newer than Build ID 2002072203. Attempting to access that page just causes my machine to hang. That has happened with every version of Mozilla I have ever used.
For the test case URL, the last two symbols on the test pages are specified in the HTML with HTML entities. The character set specified for the document is meaningless for these, since you're expressing a logical character through the HTML entity, not in the form of raw text on the page. Given that you're using both a symbolic entity and a numeric Unicode entity and are getting the same character. One possibility is that Mozilla is pulling the character for this Unicode code point. I was unable to find, however, a Unicode glyph that looks like the character in the screen shot. It's conceivable that this glyph could be created using a 'leo' character (or an 'ohm' symbol or greek omega?) with a combining circle, but this isn't likely to occur accidentally (it would require two characters). The only other likely cause, in my view, is that Mozilla is finding the correct code point, but it's locating an 8-bit "symbol" font or some other font that doesn't have a proper character -> glyph mapping table. Going through that font list might help identify if this is indeed the problem. The reporter might try removing all but the bare essentials from the installed fonts (including all of the symbol fonts) and see if the problem clears up. If he has a lot of spare time, he might also try locating this specific glyph in one of his fonts and see what character it corresponds to.
Some aspects of that last comment are unintelligible (sorry; I'm in a meeting and not paying enough attention to what I'm typing). "Given that you're using both a symbolic entity and a numeric Unicode entity and are getting the same character: One possibility is that Mozilla is pulling the WRONG character for this Unicode code point."
Resolving as WONTFIX, since we dropped Mac OS Classic support some time ago.