Last Comment Bug 1108632 - Implement Firefox OS CES landing page
: Implement Firefox OS CES landing page
Status: VERIFIED FIXED
[kb=1605155]
:
Product: www.mozilla.org
Classification: Other
Component: Pages & Content (show other bugs)
: Production
: All All
-- normal
: ---
Assigned To: Steven Garrity [:sgarrity]
:
:
Mentors:
Depends on: 1108988
Blocks: 1115715 1116576
  Show dependency treegraph
 
Reported: 2014-12-08 09:05 PST by Mike Alexis [:malexis]
Modified: 2015-01-05 11:05 PST (History)
11 users (show)
steven: needinfo? (tyronflanagan)
See Also:
Locale:
QA Whiteboard:
Iteration: ---
Points: ---


Attachments
Link to Github pull-request: https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock/pull/2604 (44 bytes, text/x-github-pull-request)
2014-12-19 17:41 PST, Steven Garrity [:sgarrity]
no flags Details | Review | Splinter Review
FFxOS_TV-Announcement_Final.jpg (723.54 KB, image/jpeg)
2014-12-22 10:33 PST, Steven Garrity [:sgarrity]
no flags Details
size-compare.jpg (931.13 KB, image/jpeg)
2014-12-22 11:38 PST, Steven Garrity [:sgarrity]
no flags Details

Description User image Mike Alexis [:malexis] 2014-12-08 09:05:33 PST
CES is Jan 6-9.

Draft schedule for design and implementation:
https://app.smartsheet.com/b/publish?EQBCT=6560f90affc74ce48e4dd17e63a3b303
Comment 1 User image Ty Flanagan 2014-12-18 09:22:23 PST
Here is the PSD for the CES Tv Landing page:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpek2zea13ierkj/FFxOS_TV-Announcement_PSDs.zip?dl=0
Comment 2 User image Jennifer Bertsch [:jbertsch] 2014-12-18 09:29:18 PST
Hi Steven, Pascal, and Flod-

Localization of this page is NOT required.  However, let's wrap the strings in case any individual communities do choose to localize (I'm thinking primarily of the China and Taiwan teams).

Thx,
Jen
Comment 3 User image Steven Garrity [:sgarrity] 2014-12-18 09:38:06 PST
What's should the URL be for this page? /firefox/os/tv/ ?
Comment 4 User image Jennifer Bertsch [:jbertsch] 2014-12-18 09:48:39 PST
Let's put this page at /firefox/os/devices/tv

Natalia:  do you want www.firefoxos.com/tv as a vanity url?
Comment 5 User image Jennifer Bertsch [:jbertsch] 2014-12-18 09:50:30 PST
Also Natalia, what time should this page be live on Sunday, January 4?
Comment 6 User image Jennifer Bertsch [:jbertsch] 2014-12-18 10:12:01 PST
Making the bug public because there is already a public announcement https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2014/01/06/mozilla-and-partners-to-bring-firefox-os-to-new-platforms-and-devices/
Comment 7 User image Steven Garrity [:sgarrity] 2014-12-19 17:41:13 PST
Created attachment 8539616 [details] [review]
Link to Github pull-request: https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock/pull/2604

Here's a PR for the new page. I've also added it to the demo1 server so it can be previewed here:

https://www-demo1.allizom.org/en-US/firefox/os/tv
Comment 8 User image Steven Garrity [:sgarrity] 2014-12-22 08:30:33 PST
We still need the exact time this page can go live on Sun, Jan 4. Since it's a new page without any links pointing to it, I would suggest that it could go up before the time it is actually required.

When it is ready to go live, the waffle switch in bedrock to enable the page is 'firefox_os_tv'
Comment 9 User image Jennifer Bertsch [:jbertsch] 2014-12-22 09:58:27 PST
Thanks, Steven.  I'll work on confirming the time and/or the possibility of putting it up sooner.
Comment 10 User image Jennifer Bertsch [:jbertsch] 2014-12-22 10:24:29 PST
Hey Ty-

The page is up on demo1.  Please take a look:  https://www-demo1.allizom.org/en-US/firefox/os/tv/

Do you think we could tighten up the "white" space around the headline to bring the page content up a little higher?  Would you have to recut the background image?

Thx,
Jen
Comment 11 User image Steven Garrity [:sgarrity] 2014-12-22 10:33:36 PST
Created attachment 8540250 [details]
FFxOS_TV-Announcement_Final.jpg

(In reply to Jennifer Bertsch [:jbertsch] from comment #10)
> Do you think we could tighten up the "white" space around the headline to
> bring the page content up a little higher?  Would you have to recut the
> background image?

I think this could be adjusted fairly easily - with or without editing the background image. I'll wait for Ty to weigh in on that.

That said, due to a change in text for the headline and make some width adjustments to fit in the layout, the page content is actually quite a bit higher-up on the screen than in the original mockup (attached).
Comment 12 User image Ty Flanagan 2014-12-22 11:03:54 PST
Id reduce the spacing between the headline and sub-head by 20px to help raise the content more. The demo1 visuals are already smaller than they are in the original design so theres not much we could do there. 

The headline has also been reduced to a single line vs the double headline we had before.

I wouldnt recut or modify the background in anyway either. Downside of moving up all the content is we are covering up the UI in that background making it feel like its just 4 circles in a background. We could shift up the background by 120px-140px and see if that helps.
Comment 13 User image Jennifer Bertsch [:jbertsch] 2014-12-22 11:15:10 PST
(In reply to tflanagan from comment #12)
> Id reduce the spacing between the headline and sub-head by 20px to help
> raise the content more. The demo1 visuals are already smaller than they are
> in the original design so theres not much we could do there. 
> 
> The headline has also been reduced to a single line vs the double headline
> we had before.
> 
> I wouldnt recut or modify the background in anyway either. Downside of
> moving up all the content is we are covering up the UI in that background
> making it feel like its just 4 circles in a background. We could shift up
> the background by 120px-140px and see if that helps.

Thanks, Ty and Steven.  Let's try what Ty suggests in this comment!
Comment 14 User image Steven Garrity [:sgarrity] 2014-12-22 11:38:56 PST
Created attachment 8540287 [details]
size-compare.jpg

Here are the suggested adjustments (approximately), side-by-side with the what is currently on demo1 (see attachment).

The circles in the background start to compete with the headline a bit, but it does save some vertical space. Let me know if you'd like to go with this, stay with what we have, or have further suggestions to try out. Thanks.
Comment 15 User image Natalia Martinez-Winter 2014-12-26 06:17:23 PST
Yes, let's have www.firefoxos.com/tv URL, thanks !
Page to go live at 11am PST on Monday 5th of January.
Comment 16 User image Steven Garrity [:sgarrity] 2014-12-26 09:22:48 PST
(In reply to Natalia Martinez-Winter from comment #15)
> Yes, let's have www.firefoxos.com/tv URL, thanks !

This will require another Bug - probably filed with IT.

(In reply to Natalia Martinez-Winter from comment #15)
> Page to go live at 11am PST on Monday 5th of January.

Thanks. I have filed Bug 1115715 to manage the timing of this launch.
Comment 17 User image Ty Flanagan 2014-12-29 11:15:34 PST
(In reply to Steven Garrity [:sgarrity] from comment #14)
> Created attachment 8540287 [details]
> size-compare.jpg
> 
> Here are the suggested adjustments (approximately), side-by-side with the
> what is currently on demo1 (see attachment).
> 
> The circles in the background start to compete with the headline a bit, but
> it does save some vertical space. Let me know if you'd like to go with this,
> stay with what we have, or have further suggestions to try out. Thanks.


Hmm, maybe we can meet it half way between the two layouts then. Perhaps try 60px instead.
Comment 18 User image Jennifer Bertsch [:jbertsch] 2014-12-30 13:00:32 PST
Natalia and Steven - I'll file the IT bug for the redirect.

Steven - Do you have everything you need on this one?
Comment 19 User image Steven Garrity [:sgarrity] 2014-12-30 13:52:25 PST
(In reply to Jennifer Bertsch [:jbertsch] from comment #18)
> Natalia and Steven - I'll file the IT bug for the redirect.

I noticed on the redirect bug (Bug 1116576) that the destination URL is /firefox/os/devices/tv/ while the URL I've been using to develop this new page is /firefox/os/tv/ (no "/devices").

Either URL is fine - but can you confirm which I should be using? Thanks.

> Steven - Do you have everything you need on this one?

I think I'm all set. I'll get the demo server (it may be by Thurs).
Comment 20 User image Jennifer Bertsch [:jbertsch] 2014-12-30 14:48:50 PST
(In reply to Steven Garrity [:sgarrity] from comment #19)
> (In reply to Jennifer Bertsch [:jbertsch] from comment #18)
> > Natalia and Steven - I'll file the IT bug for the redirect.
> 
> I noticed on the redirect bug (Bug 1116576) that the destination URL is
> /firefox/os/devices/tv/ while the URL I've been using to develop this new
> page is /firefox/os/tv/ (no "/devices").
> 
> Either URL is fine - but can you confirm which I should be using? Thanks.

Sorry for the confusion.

Let's use:  /firefox/os/devices/tv

Thanks!
Comment 21 User image Francesco Lodolo [:flod] 2015-01-01 02:04:43 PST
(In reply to Jennifer Bertsch [:jbertsch] from comment #20)
> Let's use:  /firefox/os/devices/tv

Before I push out strings, I need to know if the template file will remain the same, or eventually we can make it use firefox/os/tv.lang for strings.
Comment 22 User image Steven Garrity [:sgarrity] 2015-01-01 07:37:57 PST
(In reply to Francesco Lodolo [:flod] from comment #21)
> Before I push out strings, I need to know if the template file will remain
> the same, or eventually we can make it use firefox/os/tv.lang for strings.

I'm going to keep the template in /bedrock/firefox/templates/firefox/os/tv.html. I'll just update the urls.py to change the public URL.
Comment 23 User image Steven Garrity [:sgarrity] 2015-01-01 16:21:38 PST
I have updated the pull request with the latest changes, including:

* Updated screenshots (including adding the 4th)
* Background/padding adjustments based on Ty's feedback
* Moved the page from /firefox/os/tv/ to /firefox/os/devices/tv/

https://www-demo1.allizom.org/en-US/firefox/os/devices/tv/
Comment 24 User image [github robot] 2015-01-02 12:01:43 PST
Commits pushed to master at https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock

https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock/commit/1872bd7bed5171b0dd965e9ab39114ff9cc0d111
Bug 1108632 Implement Firefox OS CES landing page

https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock/commit/5388cc604ae1cace735983f349e785150033b2d2
Merge pull request #2604 from mozilla/bug-1108632-fx-os-tv

Bug 1108632 Implement Firefox OS CES landing page
Comment 25 User image Josh Mize [:jgmize] 2015-01-05 11:01:45 PST
This is in production with the waffle switch enabled, but https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/os/devices/tv/ is currently a 404 due (I believe) to caching). I'll continue checking and verify that the page works once the cached 404 expires.
Comment 26 User image Josh Mize [:jgmize] 2015-01-05 11:05:34 PST
The previously mentioned cache expired and https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/os/devices/tv/ is now giving me the correct page.

Note You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.