Closed Bug 1108998 Opened 5 years ago Closed 5 years ago

Buttons for actual share providers in Social API sharing panel (e.g. Facebook share) are unlabeled for accessibility

Categories

(Firefox Graveyard :: SocialAPI, defect)

defect
Not set

Tracking

(firefox35+ fixed, firefox36 fixed, firefox37 fixed)

RESOLVED FIXED
Firefox 37
Tracking Status
firefox35 + fixed
firefox36 --- fixed
firefox37 --- fixed

People

(Reporter: MarcoZ, Assigned: mixedpuppy)

Details

(Keywords: access, sec508)

Attachments

(1 file)

STR:
1. Go to any page that has a link on it and right-click that.
2. Select Share This Link from the context menu.

The panel that appears has two buttons at the top, one says "Get more Social API providers", the other one is unlabeled for screen readers.
Flags: firefox-backlog?
Points: --- → 3
Flags: qe-verify-
Flags: in-testsuite?
Flags: firefox-backlog?
Flags: firefox-backlog+
OS: Windows 7 → All
Hardware: x86_64 → All
Summary: Button in Social API sharing panel is unlabeled for accessibility → Buttons for actual share providers in Social API sharing panel (e.g. Facebook share) are unlabeled for accessibility
I've updated the development server with fixes for this.  You can test by changing the preference social.shareDirectory to https://activations.paas.allizom.org/sharePanel.html
Sorry, my comment was for bug 1108995
I'm actually not clear on the STR for this bug.
(In reply to Shane Caraveo (:mixedpuppy) from comment #3)
> I'm actually not clear on the STR for this bug.

So my share panel on beta has a [+] in the strip on the left side, with the tooltip "Find More Share Services..." and a facebook logo. I don't know how the facebook logo got there, but it has no tooltip and no other accessibility-usable label. Does that help?
Flags: needinfo?(mixedpuppy)
(In reply to :Gijs Kruitbosch from comment #4)
> (In reply to Shane Caraveo (:mixedpuppy) from comment #3)
> > I'm actually not clear on the STR for this bug.
> 
> So my share panel on beta has a [+] in the strip on the left side, with the
> tooltip "Find More Share Services..." and a facebook logo. I don't know how
> the facebook logo got there, but it has no tooltip and no other
> accessibility-usable label. Does that help?

At least on aurora, I have a tooltip that has both the name and the base url of the provider.  Unless you've activated Facebook, there is no way that it would be an option in the list.

Using a clean profile with the latest nightly download, I have to move the share icon to the toolbar, open it, and click on facebook to get it to appear.  I see the tooltip.

Can you show me your social.* prefs ?
Flags: needinfo?(mixedpuppy) → needinfo?(gijskruitbosch+bugs)
(In reply to Shane Caraveo (:mixedpuppy) from comment #5)
> (In reply to :Gijs Kruitbosch from comment #4)
> > (In reply to Shane Caraveo (:mixedpuppy) from comment #3)
> > > I'm actually not clear on the STR for this bug.
> > 
> > So my share panel on beta has a [+] in the strip on the left side, with the
> > tooltip "Find More Share Services..." and a facebook logo. I don't know how
> > the facebook logo got there, but it has no tooltip and no other
> > accessibility-usable label. Does that help?
> 
> At least on aurora, I have a tooltip that has both the name and the base url
> of the provider.  Unless you've activated Facebook, there is no way that it
> would be an option in the list.
> 
> Using a clean profile with the latest nightly download, I have to move the
> share icon to the toolbar, open it, and click on facebook to get it to
> appear.  I see the tooltip.

Sorry, my description was from memory and inaccurate. It does have a tooltip, but it's done using a tooltip attribute which points to a tooltip element, which presumably gets populated with the relevant data onpopupshowing. Our accessibility API can't deal with that (not least because under normal a11y usage, the popup might never be shown "over" a specific node).

The working node has a tooltiptext attribute which just has the right data.
Flags: needinfo?(gijskruitbosch+bugs)
added a label on the buttons and pushed to try

https://treeherder.mozilla.org/ui/#/jobs?repo=try&revision=291904b0eab0

not sure of best way to test on osx.   Marco, can you look at the builds once they are available?
Flags: needinfo?(mzehe)
(In reply to :Gijs Kruitbosch from comment #6)
> Sorry, my description was from memory and inaccurate. It does have a
> tooltip, but it's done using a tooltip attribute which points to a tooltip
> element, which presumably gets populated with the relevant data
> onpopupshowing. Our accessibility API can't deal with that (not least
> because under normal a11y usage, the popup might never be shown "over" a
> specific node).
> 
> The working node has a tooltiptext attribute which just has the right data.

I will try the build on Windows once it becomes available, but in the meantime, not even aria-labelledby would help here because if the tooltip element only gets populated on a certain action, the data won't be available, or it will, depending on randomness of the mouse pointer sitting somewhere. Since a blind user never uses the mouse, the approach taken in the try build might be the right way (haven't seen the patch yet, though).
Can confirm that the button is now labeled. Its label says "Facebook Share".
Flags: needinfo?(mzehe)
Attached patch button labelSplinter Review
Assignee: nobody → mixedpuppy
Attachment #8534495 - Flags: review?(gijskruitbosch+bugs)
Attachment #8534495 - Flags: review?(gijskruitbosch+bugs) → review+
[Tracking Requested - why for this release]:  this is a simple a11y fix that should get uplifted
Comment on attachment 8534495 [details] [diff] [review]
button label

Approval Request Comment
[Feature/regressing bug #]: share
[User impact if declined]: no a11y labels for share buttons
[Describe test coverage new/current, TBPL]: manual testing
[Risks and why]: low
[String/UUID change made/needed]: none
Attachment #8534495 - Flags: approval-mozilla-beta?
Attachment #8534495 - Flags: approval-mozilla-aurora?
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/87793670a556
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 5 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → Firefox 37
Iteration: --- → 37.2
Attachment #8534495 - Flags: approval-mozilla-beta?
Attachment #8534495 - Flags: approval-mozilla-beta+
Attachment #8534495 - Flags: approval-mozilla-aurora?
Attachment #8534495 - Flags: approval-mozilla-aurora+
Product: Firefox → Firefox Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.