Closed Bug 1116440 Opened 7 years ago Closed 6 years ago

[First Time Experience]City tab will not change when you switch city between chongqing and chungking.

Categories

(Firefox OS Graveyard :: Gaia::First Time Experience, defect)

ARM
Gonk (Firefox OS)
defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

(blocking-b2g:2.0M+, b2g-v2.0 affected, b2g-v2.0M verified, b2g-v2.1 verified, b2g-v2.2 verified)

VERIFIED FIXED
2.2 S3 (9jan)
blocking-b2g 2.0M+
Tracking Status
b2g-v2.0 --- affected
b2g-v2.0M --- verified
b2g-v2.1 --- verified
b2g-v2.2 --- verified

People

(Reporter: yulan.zhu, Assigned: sfoster)

References

Details

(Whiteboard: [systemsfe])

Attachments

(5 files)

Attached file bugreport.txt
[1.Description]:
[Woodduck v2.0][Flame v2.0 &v2.1&v2.2][First Time Experience]City tab will not change when you switch city between chongqing and chungking,it's alway be the first one you choosed.
Found time:16:12
Attachment:bugreport.txt & video.mp4

[2.Testing Steps]: 
1.Launch FTU via flash rom or developer menu.
2.Navigate Date &Time.
3.Change continent to Asia.
4.Change city to chongqing.
5.Change city to chungking.

[3.Expected Result]: 
5.City tab will  change to chungking.

[4.Actual Result]: 
5.City tab is still in chongqing.

[5.Reproduction build]:
woodduck 2.0 build:
Gaia-Rev        688e86b46229e3281beb22fd29f723724eda9df5
Gecko-Rev       bb95bcf5c2033a59b3261b93804151d1addb75eb
Build-ID        20141230050313
Version         32.0 

Flame 2.0 build:
Gaia-Rev        01c32dcdc08b3c8fc8b3082870439fa2c1089f4f
Gecko-Rev       https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-b2g32_v2_0/rev/b41c344ed82d
Build-ID        20141229000235
Version         32.0

Flame 2.1 build:
Gaia-Rev        73be51f998031f06db0cd660c0e388fa621c9f4c
Gecko-Rev       https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-b2g34_v2_1/rev/ea426e47bfc4
Build-ID        20141229001204
Version         34.0

Flame 2.2 build:
Gaia-Rev        bdedbaf9f18a43c091ede770407d68d38582fe29
Gecko-Rev       https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/8850aa0f5332
Build-ID        20141229010215
Version         37.0a1
[6.Reproduction Frequency]: 
Always Recurrence,5/5
TCID: Free Test
Attached video video.mp4
Hi Lancy, Chongqing is a major city in Sichuan, where is Chungking, I thought they are the same city with different spelling, isn't it? If that is the case, do we still need Chungking in the list?

Hi Sam, Could you take a look at this, city name is not changed, thanks a lot..
Flags: needinfo?(sfoster)
I can *only* reproduce this using Chungking/Chongqing. And if you look at the data at https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/blob/master/shared/resources/tz.json you'll see that Chungking is marked up as an alias to Asia/Chongqing, so this is expected behavior. You can reproduce the same effect by selecting Europe/London, then choosing Europe/Isle of Man. 

Arguably, we could switch the displayed selected city name and store that separately from the timezone id it resolves to. That could be a bit tricky as we store the resolved timezone and update the UI based on changes to that, not in direct response to the user's selection. 

Were this nominated as a 2.2 blocker, I would suggest it not block. For 2.0M it seems even more risky. For the Chungking/Chongqing case specifically, we had a clean-up a while ago to remove duplicated city names - see bug 845417 - I'm not sure if this is a similar case. I don't have the cultural context to know if having both names in the list is important in a timezone picker. One resolution would be simply remove the entry for Chongqing (or Chungking?)
Flags: needinfo?(sfoster) → needinfo?(echang)
Hi Eric,
Yes, Chongqing and Chungking are the same city with different spelling, Chongqing is the preferred name and should stay in time zone list, so I think that the Chungking should be removed.

(In reply to Eric Chang [:ericcc] [:echang] from comment #2)
> Hi Lancy, Chongqing is a major city in Sichuan, where is Chungking, I
> thought they are the same city with different spelling, isn't it? If that is
> the case, do we still need Chungking in the list?
It is not a blocker, and if it is an alias, also per comment #4, it might be safe to remove Chungking from the list from my view.

(In reply to Sam Foster [:sfoster] from comment #3)
> I can *only* reproduce this using Chungking/Chongqing. And if you look at
> the data at
> https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/blob/master/shared/resources/tz.json
> you'll see that Chungking is marked up as an alias to Asia/Chongqing, so
> this is expected behavior. You can reproduce the same effect by selecting
> Europe/London, then choosing Europe/Isle of Man. 
> 
> Arguably, we could switch the displayed selected city name and store that
> separately from the timezone id it resolves to. That could be a bit tricky
> as we store the resolved timezone and update the UI based on changes to
> that, not in direct response to the user's selection. 
> 
> Were this nominated as a 2.2 blocker, I would suggest it not block. For 2.0M
> it seems even more risky. For the Chungking/Chongqing case specifically, we
> had a clean-up a while ago to remove duplicated city names - see bug 845417
> - I'm not sure if this is a similar case. I don't have the cultural context
> to know if having both names in the list is important in a timezone picker.
> One resolution would be simply remove the entry for Chongqing (or Chungking?)
Flags: needinfo?(echang)
Hi Jenny, Could you comment on this, thanks.
Flags: needinfo?(jelee)
Hi Eric,

I'm ok with removing Chungking. Thanks!
Flags: needinfo?(jelee)
Here's a patch that removes the Chungking alias from the timezones data file. To land this in master I need to get it reviewed by a module peer. Can you add :fcampo to this bug?
Comment on attachment 8544735 [details] [review]
Github gaia/master PR: Remove Chungking timezone alias

The cities data does not get localized, so I think this just needs a sanity check and rubberstamp Fernando? 

Kevin, I dont see any partner-sensitive data on this bug. Can we open it up so the commit log links to a bug anyone can access?
Flags: needinfo?(khu)
Attachment #8544735 - Flags: review?(fernando.campo)
Assignee: nobody → sfoster
Comment on attachment 8544735 [details] [review]
Github gaia/master PR: Remove Chungking timezone alias

Looks good, and works, so rubberstamped :)
Comment on attachment 8544735 [details] [review]
Github gaia/master PR: Remove Chungking timezone alias

nice way of starting the year, forgetting to give the r+ that goes with the comment :_(
Attachment #8544735 - Flags: review?(fernando.campo) → review+
Merged to master: https://github.com/mozilla-b2g/gaia/commit/0e2876d476f6707669b6489095f3840c558a3e50
I'll resolve the bug as the patch landed, but we still action to get this onto 2.0M and 2.1(?)
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 6 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Comment on attachment 8544735 [details] [review]
Github gaia/master PR: Remove Chungking timezone alias

[Approval Request Comment]
[Bug caused by] (feature/regressing bug #): FTU Date picker
[User impact] if declined: User is presented with 2 names for same city in China
[Testing completed]: Clean Gaia-try, manual testing on Flame
[Risk to taking this patch] (and alternatives if risky): V. low risk
[String changes made]: None

This was a partner request for 2.0M. That patch has landed on master/2.2. I'd like to get it onto 2.1 so we don't end repeating the same process
Attachment #8544735 - Flags: approval-gaia-v2.1?
Whiteboard: [systemsfe]
Target Milestone: --- → 2.2 S3 (9jan)
blocking-b2g: --- → 2.0M+
Comment on attachment 8544735 [details] [review]
Github gaia/master PR: Remove Chungking timezone alias

Approving for 2.1 given the low risk and NI josh to take action for 2.0M which is the branch this patch is actually needed on,
Attachment #8544735 - Flags: approval-gaia-v2.1? → approval-gaia-v2.1+
Flags: needinfo?(jocheng)
Hi Kai-Zhen,
Can you please help to land this on 2.0M? 
Thanks!
Flags: needinfo?(jocheng) → needinfo?(kli)
(In reply to Sam Foster [:sfoster] from comment #9)
> Kevin, I dont see any partner-sensitive data on this bug. Can we open it up
> so the commit log links to a bug anyone can access?

Hi Sam,
Our regular procedure is leaving 2.0M patch here for Woodduck and open another public generic bug for landing patch on 2.1 and 2.2.
The reason is because the video might contain device image before launch. 
Since you already provide 2.1 patch here. I am make it public by removing video. 
Thanks!
Group: woodduck-confidential
Flags: needinfo?(khu)
Ops,
I just realized that the video is not removable.
However the video does not reveal device outlook. so it's okay to make this public.
> Hi Sam,
> Our regular procedure is leaving 2.0M patch here for Woodduck and open
> another public generic bug for landing patch on 2.1 and 2.2.
> The reason is because the video might contain device image before launch. 
> Since you already provide 2.1 patch here. I am make it public by removing
> video. 

Understood, yeah lets create a separate bug next time. Thanks.
Attached image Screenshot
This problem is verified pass on latest build of woodduck2.0/Flame2.1/2.2, the Chungking had been removed from “City” list.
See attachments: Screenshot.png
Rate: 0/5

Woodduck 2.0 build:
aia-Rev        7e55f20bc0f82397207cac6b5b477948652da62c
Gecko-Rev       5e2c8611f0705e5ee656e3bfad8e8ee9bde228fe
Build-ID        20150112050313
Version         32.0

Flame 2.1 build:
ia-Rev        64db236bea9a0510567ab7ced2f2b4688737123c
Gecko-Rev       https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-b2g34_v2_1/rev/273f24a1d1fe
Build-ID        20150111001202
Version         34.0

Flame 2.2 build:
Gaia-Rev        f5e481d4caf9ffa561720a6fc9cf521a28bd8439
Gecko-Rev       https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/bb8d6034f5f2
Build-ID        20150111010223
Version         37.0a1
Attached image Flame2.0.png
The issue is verified to fail on on latest Flame 2.0
the Chungking still exist in “City” list.
see attachment:Flame2.0.png

Flame 2.0 version:
Build ID               20150226000206
Gaia Revision          366aaa19ac474dc58b79d62a91cff41756ae9dfe
Gaia Date              2015-02-22 20:25:01
Gecko Revision         https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozilla-b2g32_v2_0/rev/cfaa08622d8d
Gecko Version          32.0
Device Name            flame
Firmware(Release)      4.4.2
Firmware(Incremental)  eng.cltbld.20150226.032904
Firmware Date          Thu Feb 26 03:29:15 EST 2015
Bootloader             L1TC000118D0
Flags: needinfo?(whsu)
v2.0 has been frozen last year. I suggest to keep the current status on v2.0.
We can uplift it to v2.0 if someone requests for uplifting.

Many thanks.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
Flags: needinfo?(whsu)
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.