Message header and body display is wrong when US-ASCII charset is specified for header and body

VERIFIED FIXED in M10

Status

MailNews Core
Internationalization
P3
normal
VERIFIED FIXED
19 years ago
10 years ago

People

(Reporter: Katsuhiko Momoi, Assigned: nhottanscp)

Tracking

Trunk
x86
Windows NT

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

19 years ago
** Observed with 8/3/99 Win32 build **
** This bug is related to Bug 10419 **

In Bug 10419, we deal with generating correct MIME charset
header & body -- don't use US-ASCII for header and body when
they contain 8-bit characters. We do this by setting the backup
default to be "ISO-8859-1".

Once we fix 10419, we won't generate problem headers and body, but there
might be other mailers which will do just that. I think we should be
able to do something intelligent and display such headers correctly
under limited conditions.

See for example this message which was generated by 8/3/99 Win32 build
when no charset menu item was chosen explicitly.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 11:50:52 -0700
From: iqax2@nsmail-2.mcom.com
Organization: Netscape.com
User-Agent: Mozilla 5.0 [en] (Win32; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: "=?us-ascii?Q?M=E1r=EDna?=" <momoi@netscape.com>,
         "
        =?us-ascii?Q?M=E1r=EDna?=" <momoi8@kaze.mcom.com>
Subject: =?us-ascii?Q?M=E1r=EDna?=
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable

M=E1r=EDna  M=E5levi=E7h

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Currently, 5.0 can display the thread pane header correctly but
not the Message pane headers (To and Subject headers) and also
the body misdisplays.

I wonder if this kind of case is supposed to be handled by an override
mechanism, or by a charset menu switch, or soemthing like
a built-in default way to handle it. The last one would be
something like, "The charset is US-ASCII but it contains 8-bit
range and so we assume that it is ISO-8859-1."
It also seems that the type of structure seen above for the body
is standards-compliant.
(Assignee)

Updated

19 years ago
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Target Milestone: M11
(Assignee)

Updated

19 years ago
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 19 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: M11 → M10
(Assignee)

Comment 1

19 years ago
I think I fixed the problem by yesterday's check in to libmime.
(Reporter)

Updated

19 years ago
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
(Reporter)

Comment 2

19 years ago
** Checked with 8/31/99 Win32 M10 build **

Using the same message on which I reported the problem,
this display problem is indeed fixed.
Now we can display these somewhat incorrectly formed
headers.
(Reporter)

Comment 3

19 years ago
The body also displays OK.
Product: MailNews → Core
Product: Core → MailNews Core
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.