CMS Changes To Improve Localization Process

RESOLVED FIXED

Status

Websites Graveyard
Master Firefox OS
RESOLVED FIXED
3 years ago
10 months ago

People

(Reporter: bensternthal, Assigned: giorgos)

Tracking

Details

User Story

TinyMCE
========
Completely remove the TinyMCE editor from the interface. We barely use the formatting it provides and its "auto-formatting" has created a ton of problems. In the rare case we need html it will need to be handcoded. 


Content Fields
==============
1. Change label Rich Text Entry to Text Entry
2. For Text Entry, Image Paragraph, Youtube add the following additional text fields, these are in optional and in addition to the 'title field'. They will map to h2 and h3 in the templates
    A. Sub Header 2
    B. Sub Header 3

Cleanup
========
** Adding our Decision We Went With Option B**

B. We update old content, we remove p tags and the other formatting.
(Reporter)

Description

3 years ago
During the translation phase of masterfirefoxos we found many things that made localization difficult. This bug tracks fixing these problems. Since some of these are up for discussion I am using the user story field so changes can be updated.

These changes will be for the next release (2.2) post launch. We will not be able to implement these changes in time for 2.0 and DE, JA.

This does not help the initial translation but will help a ton as we add more versions and languages to the site. 

I wish we had found these problems sooner, and am very sorry this process has been difficult for our translation team.
(Assignee)

Updated

3 years ago
OS: Mac OS X → All
Hardware: x86 → All
(Assignee)

Comment 1

3 years ago
Pull request with CMS changes:
https://github.com/mozilla/masterfirefoxos/pull/114/

Notes:
 - Did not rename Rich Text Entry, to reflect that it accepts HTML
 - Besides subheader 2 and subheader 3, I added 'title' (h1) in Rich Text Entry to match the Video Entry and Image Entry. Is that OK?
 - Title and subheaders do not accept any HTML. This is the current behavior for title.
 - TextFields in all content types accept HTML. Do we want to limit the allowed set down to a few basic elements?
(Reporter)

Comment 2

3 years ago
Your notes all look fine.

For textfields.. I am ok not restricting html here at this time.
(Reporter)

Updated

3 years ago
Blocks: 1091179
(Assignee)

Updated

3 years ago
Assignee: nobody → giorgos
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED

Comment 3

3 years ago
Commits pushed to master at https://github.com/mozilla/masterfirefoxos

https://github.com/mozilla/masterfirefoxos/commit/f90c58e88691526b4db2a283f60de70f4a3a3eef
[bug 1131736] Remove TinyMCE activation button.

This removes TinyMCE activation button but does not remove any other
code related to TinyMCE yet.

https://github.com/mozilla/masterfirefoxos/commit/b8008c37439bfdfac036410c70c66f7c2a593c08
[bug 1131736] Add subheader_2 and subheader_3 to ImageEntry and VideoEntry.

https://github.com/mozilla/masterfirefoxos/commit/4d7d5315c7d47fafa64cb9c1887b98f3db6d8431
[bug 1131736] Add title and subheaders in RichTextEntry.

https://github.com/mozilla/masterfirefoxos/commit/823309a2df52c98a8e22a650c13c392b4ad31faf
[bug 1131736] Add missing medialibrary migration.

https://github.com/mozilla/masterfirefoxos/commit/1b948bee11b2f7e834a035abb4b1200a2a0e4c8d
[bug 1131736] Remove Rodenticide from the fieldfield.

Do not remove from the codebase yet.

https://github.com/mozilla/masterfirefoxos/commit/8a75349297d3c57ea950999c024e90a786d1e6bc
Merge pull request #114 from glogiotatidis/1131736

[bug 1131736] CMS Changes.
(Reporter)

Comment 4

3 years ago
I wanted to add a note here to clarify the approach we took. Originally we were thinking of doing this post launch, however because it so negatively effected our l10n team we decided to push the launch date out and address these issues. What we have done is:

1. Removed the tinymce editor.
2. Made the CMS much more friendly to L10N content.
3. Cleaned up / removed html from CMS content.
4. PO files have only the strings required for that locale

The only remaining problem is that the POT files which pontoon uses do not just have the strings required for that locale. This is a pontoon <--> us issue we need to sort but should not block us from translation.

I'll send out an official email.
User Story: (updated)
(Assignee)

Comment 5

3 years ago
(In reply to Ben (:bensternthal) from comment #4)
> 4. PO files have only the strings required for that locale

This is accurate but please note that currently Pontoon displays more strings than the minimum set required to the locale. There is an ongoing effort to fix this. (https://github.com/mozilla/masterfirefoxos/pull/133)
(Reporter)

Comment 6

3 years ago
Calling this one resolved as the PO file changes are tracked in bug #1131733
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 3 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Product: Websites → Websites Graveyard
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.