Created attachment 8579317 [details] [diff] [review] patch.diff User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux i686; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/36.0 Build ID: 20150306140126 Steps to reproduce: In mozilla-central repository: > cd mozilla-central > ./mach mercurial-setup Actual results: [...] Would you like to activate the mq extension? [Y/n] y Activated mq extension. Error running mach: ['mercurial-setup'] The error occurred in code that was called by the mach command. This is either a bug in the called code itself or in the way that mach is calling it. You should consider filing a bug for this issue. If filing a bug, please include the full output of mach, including this error message. The details of the failure are as follows: UnicodeDecodeError: 'ascii' codec can't decode byte 0xc3 in position 15: ordinal not in range(128) File "/home/stephlm2dev/GitHub/mozilla-central/tools/mercurial/mach_commands.py", line 42, in mercurial_bootstrap result = wizard.run(map(os.path.expanduser, config_paths)) File "/home/stephlm2dev/GitHub/mozilla-central/tools/mercurial/hgsetup/wizard.py", line 258, in run self.prompt_external_extension(c, 'bzexport', BZEXPORT_INFO) File "/home/stephlm2dev/GitHub/mozilla-central/tools/mercurial/hgsetup/wizard.py", line 401, in prompt_external_extension if not self.can_use_extension(c, name, path): File "/home/stephlm2dev/GitHub/mozilla-central/tools/mercurial/hgsetup/wizard.py", line 393, in can_use_extension return "Traceback" not in result Expected results: [...] all stuff Wrote changes to /home/stephlm2dev/.hgrc. Your Mercurial should now be properly configured and recommended extensions should be up to date!
checkin-needed is used to signify patches that are ready to land. Please avoid setting it until it's gone through review :)
OK. I didn't know that. Thank you for removing it.
Comment on attachment 8579317 [details] [diff] [review] patch.diff I think this is almost certainly not the right thing to do. AIUI from comment 0, the problem is that "Traceback" in tools/mercurial/hgsetup/wizard.py is a unicode literal, and the result of subprocess.check_output is a str, so python does conversions... replacing "Traceback" with b"Traceback" should fix it.
Created attachment 8579975 [details] [diff] [review] patch.diff OK. I thought it would fix others problems with the same type of error. I made the fix you suggested and it worked.
Created attachment 8583029 [details] [diff] [review] patch.diff Commit for the checking-needed