respin of contributor facing build : 18D_nightly ( v3)

RESOLVED FIXED

Status

Firefox OS
General
RESOLVED FIXED
2 years ago
2 years ago

People

(Reporter: nhirata, Assigned: nhirata)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

We need a v3 version to address issues with :
1) font ( bug 1152420 )
2) NFC  ( bug 1150989 )
3) security issue ( bug 1121577 )
Assignee: nobody → nhirata.bugzilla
Depends on: 1152420, 1121577
fyi to track the progress on the v3 nightly for 18D
Flags: needinfo?(madrid.crespo)
I had made a v3 version, and heard about bug 1152420. 

Waiting for that to be resolved before creating a new build.
About bug 1152420: the current build v18D is actually OK. The issue is that we don't have the fonts after building manually.

I don't know how the current build v18D got the fonts.
well, it's the releng nightly build that we want to have the font in...
v18D is the vendor T2M build and has the font.
v18D_nightly is our pvtbuild w/ system, boot, data written over top of the T2M's v18D build.

I could package the font separate and have the flash script just push it at the end, though it feels sloppy to do that and has more of a chance to break.
Depends on: 1150449
On a related note about NFC and bluetooth : see bug 1154237 

NFC breaking will occur if there's an update to NFC.

We would need FOTA done by T2M to have this issue resolved for contributors, otherwise we could be constantly hounding T2M to update the builds...
Font issue landed, we're now waiting for a good nightly build to be based off of:
bug 1164037

Waiting for green on smoke test before using that build to make the contributor build.
Depends on: 1164037
Can you add the camera driver from bug 1121650 as well?
Whoa!  Thanks for the heads up Past!  Let me check with b2g releng.
Filed bug 1167447 to push the fix in bug 1121650 to our own private builds.  

From there, I make the contributor builds and then ask T2M to host.
I'm not sure if I'm going to wait for another T2M build on top of this... ( from bug 1121650 )
Depends on: 1167447
So I did make a build with the camera fix in place, (the pvtbuild doesn't have the fix, the taskcluster does, problem is that the userdebug uses B2G_DEBUG=1 ( see bug 1168611 ), so I learned how to unpack the system.img, place the file in and then repack it : 
https://drive.google.com/a/mozilla.com/file/d/0B_0LdM1CVycIQXlPYUt5UXRmX1k/view?usp=sharing
[note : only shared with Mozilla Employees as this has the gonk layer portions that we cannot distribute outside of Mozilla ]

Only to find out that we're going to have a bluetooth v2 architecture change that's going to be landing in about 2 weeks or so.  bug 1072721
Depends on: 1072721
Question : should I go ahead and get this tested and push for T2M to post this only to have bluetooth break in 2 weeks?  or should I wait until 2 more weeks when that bug lands?  I think I should probably wait 2 more weeks...

Comment 12

2 years ago
Is too hard to push it twice for T2M? I mean, maybe when the bluetooth is fixed, we will find out that there is anything else severely broken and that will be like a neverending story, perhaps.

Anyways, thanks for your effort and your help :)
Flags: needinfo?(madrid.crespo)
Well, by the time that we push out the fix, relay it, the bluetooth I think will break again once OTA goes out.  I'm not sure how easy it would be to have another hosted again by T2M in such a short time frame.
Turns out that the bluetooth changes are all gecko, meaning OTA should get them.

Peter, Mike, can you run through a check on build : https://drive.google.com/a/mozilla.com/file/d/0B_0LdM1CVycIQXlPYUt5UXRmX1k/view?usp=sharing please?

Wesley after we get verification from Peter and Mike, can we ask T2M to host this build please?
Flags: needinfo?(wehuang)
Flags: needinfo?(pbylenga)
Flags: needinfo?(mlien)

Comment 15

2 years ago
Hi Naoki, I can't get OTA update information from this version, could you help to check it again, thanks.
Flags: needinfo?(mlien) → needinfo?(nhirata.bugzilla)
Mike, we're frozen on OTA.  Can you try switching the channel to nightlytest and try again please?
Flags: needinfo?(nhirata.bugzilla) → needinfo?(mlien)
Never mind, Mike.  Peter tried testing it and it failed for him.  I'll have to investigate.
Flags: needinfo?(mlien) → needinfo?(nhirata.bugzilla)
I saw two items:
OTA failed when trying nightlytest
Sending a bluetooth transfer while another one was in transfer auto-denied the second request and subsequent receives by Device-Under-Test.  DUT could still send Bluetooth files but not receive.
Flags: needinfo?(pbylenga)
Found out the reason for the failure.  it was reporting error 70 which indicates not enough space.
Used the change in partition found in comment 13 of bug 1085230 and increased the size of the partition image and flashed it.

Seems to work.

Removed old link for v5 and am updating with a new link to the new build:
BT might not work out of the box, please OTA and then test BT.
Flags: needinfo?(nhirata.bugzilla)
New image (Mozilla internal only) located here: 
https://drive.google.com/a/mozilla.com/file/d/0B_0LdM1CVycITWh2cERRN0FPNXc/view?usp=sharing
Oh ya.  And since nightly is still frozen due to red smoke test; please use nightlytest (ie change the OTA channel in the settings, reboot and then try to OTA ).
Flags: needinfo?(pbylenga)
Flags: needinfo?(mlien)

Comment 22

2 years ago
Sorry for the late reply. From the build in comment 20, below are my test results:
1. OTA channel nightlytest is fine and update successfully
2. Update package extract needs almost 100MB from /system
3. NFC & Blutooth transfer are fine
4. About the font, I only see "DroidNaskh-Regular.ttf", no "DroidNaskhUI-Regular.ttf" in /system/fonts/ <- is this ok?
Flags: needinfo?(mlien)
Hrm.  I need to fix the font, I think I'll just repackage it manually.  Thanks for the feedback and the testing.  I'll have a new build soon.
Flags: needinfo?(pbylenga)
That's odd.  I checked my build and it has it just fine.  I think it's the OTA build that's the issue.  Investigating.
Mike, I'm not sure what you're seeing.  I see DroidNaskhUI-Regular.ttf both when I flash and after I OTA using the nightlytest channel.  This is looking at the adb shell ls /system/fonts | grep DroidNaskhUI-Regular.ttf

I'm going to ask Peter to test the build as well.  A smoke test would probably be the best thing to run first.
Flags: needinfo?(pbylenga)
Flags: needinfo?(mlien)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15k3ILSfyH9OlG7VJ7jACd4mTcT52rm-3KCIw6B6fHvs/edit#gid=13

Smoke is mostly passing, we saw an issue with music app that after a song is done playing it would jump to a different song instead of stopping as listed in the Smoke Test.
Flags: needinfo?(pbylenga)

Comment 27

2 years ago
Sorry, it's weird, I flash this build and verify font again, it has "DroidNaskhUI-Regular.ttf" but no "DroidNaskh-Regular.ttf".
Anyway, sorry for the misleading.
Flags: needinfo?(mlien)
Hi Naoki:

I saw Peter's report and seems some more failures then before? Do we still treat it as the 3rd version nightly SW to be hosted by T2M?

BTW in comment#0 I saw there is still a security issue opened (bug 1121577, I can't see it), do we still target to fix it in v3 nightly?
Flags: needinfo?(wehuang) → needinfo?(nhirata.bugzilla)
Wesley, the security bug only hits when you use engineering build and have dev tools turned on. (marionette)  We don't ship userdebug with it turned on, so security felt ok with it.  I added you to the bug so you can see.

I think OTA will fix the issue with the music.  Let's confirm that before we give that a go.  Peter, can you have a smoke test done on the device after OTA?  I think that's what I'm more concerned about.  If it doesn't fix it; can you check to see if it happens in a current build?
Flags: needinfo?(wehuang)
Flags: needinfo?(pbylenga)
Thanks nhirata for the pointer to this bug. I reflashed my flame with the image from comment 20 and it was able to complete the OTA update to the 2015-06-13 nightly build. Works fine otherwise, so far.
Can we make sure this v18D v3 includes the partition size fix ?
If we get a new base image lets make sure it includes the fix for 1110010 as well.
As well as the partition size fix.
Wesly, can you track this?
(In reply to Alexandre LISSY :gerard-majax from comment #31)
> Can we make sure this v18D v3 includes the partition size fix ?
yes, it's in the build.  see comment 19  :)
Flags: needinfo?(nhirata.bugzilla)
(In reply to Naoki Hirata :nhirata (please use needinfo instead of cc) from comment #34)
> (In reply to Alexandre LISSY :gerard-majax from comment #31)
> > Can we make sure this v18D v3 includes the partition size fix ?
> yes, it's in the build.  see comment 19  :)

\o/
I have to look at bug 1110010; that is not in the build.  Checking a few things before I make the patches.
(In reply to Naoki Hirata :nhirata (please use needinfo instead of cc) from comment #36)
> I have to look at bug 1110010; that is not in the build.  Checking a few
> things before I make the patches.

Dylan knows the latest about bug 1110010.
Flags: needinfo?(doliver)
Spoke with Dylan, we would have to wait for QC to fix bug 1110010, then T2M to post a build to us.

I would like to suggest asking T2M to post this build in the interim since this fixes a lot of other issues including the system partition.
Flags: needinfo?(anygregor)
Flags: needinfo?(doliver)

Comment 39

2 years ago
Hi,

My update url doesn't seem to work:
https://aus4.mozilla.org/update/3/B2G/41.0a1/20150623010204/flame-kk/en-US/nightly/Boot2Gecko%203.0.0.0-prerelease%20%28SDK%2019%29/default/default/update.xml?force=1

Would you know what is wrong with it?

By the way, is there any way to manually list the OTAs available? I'm not sure If 20150623010204 is available yet.
CodingFree, please let's not confuse the main issue of this bug with another bug.  Could you file a different bug and NI me there?  This bug is for a newer build to be built for the contributors.
Hi Naoki:

Just to quickly confirm if we are ok to go with this new nightly SW? (the one in comment#20 https://drive.google.com/a/mozilla.com/file/d/0B_0LdM1CVycITWh2cERRN0FPNXc/view?usp=sharing)

If yes I'll communicate w/ T2M to get their support to host this image. Thanks.
Flags: needinfo?(wehuang) → needinfo?(nhirata.bugzilla)
Yes, it is.  Please have T2M host this build as soon as possible.

As far as I understand, we have to wait until QC makes a fix for bug 1110010, and then T2M has to pick up the build before we can get it.  I would rather not wait for all that to happen as there's other fixes that will help contributors in this build.
Flags: needinfo?(nhirata.bugzilla) → needinfo?(wehuang)

Updated

2 years ago
Depends on: 1179219
(In reply to Naoki Hirata :nhirata (please use needinfo instead of cc) from comment #42)
> Yes, it is.  Please have T2M host this build as soon as possible.
> 
> As far as I understand, we have to wait until QC makes a fix for bug
> 1110010, and then T2M has to pick up the build before we can get it.  I
> would rather not wait for all that to happen as there's other fixes that
> will help contributors in this build.

There is no ETA for 1110010 so lets not wait for it. Lets create a new base image if all the other pieces are in place.
Flags: needinfo?(anygregor)
(In reply to Naoki Hirata :nhirata (please use needinfo instead of cc) from comment #42)
> Yes, it is.  Please have T2M host this build as soon as possible.
> 
> As far as I understand, we have to wait until QC makes a fix for bug
> 1110010, and then T2M has to pick up the build before we can get it.  I
> would rather not wait for all that to happen as there's other fixes that
> will help contributors in this build.

T2M is helping upload the nightly image to server, I'll follow it and get Chris Mills' support for MDN update, once upload is done.

As for 1110010 let's see how it goes, I'm not sure if we are still able to get new base image from T2M (e.g. v18E) as the maintenance period of Flame is finished already per contract. (guess we may try to get the fix in binary format and put into our nightly SW, or by some other means?)
Flags: needinfo?(wehuang)
Flags: needinfo?(pbylenga)
T2M hosted : http://cds.w5v8t3u9.hwcdn.net/v18D_nightly_v3.zip
MozDev updated.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 2 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED

Comment 46

2 years ago
Just updated on my phone Swedish keyboard and other stuff works fine now :) 
seems to work fine so far just updated 1 hour ago, will keep you posted if i find something bad :) 
will try to dogfood the phone some more during next week when visiting family
Tried this just now.
Basically works, but profile restore fails afterwards with permission errors.

The zip file extracts into

v18D_nightly_v3\v18D_nightly_v5

fastboot flash works.

OTA update works after that.

Starts out with 170 MB available in /system, reaching a low of 50 MB just after unpacking and before restarting the device.

After the reboot 148 MB are available in /system.

profile restore gives following errors:

AichnerAd@Kuckuck:/cygdrive/c/fxos$ ./backup_restore_profile.sh -r
### Waiting for device... please ensure it is connected, switched on and remote debugging is enabled in Gaia
2015-07-13 22:3432 ### ######################
2015-07-13 22:3432 ### # B2G Backup/Restore #
2015-07-13 22:3432 ### ######################
2015-07-13 22:3432 ### Recover your profile...
2015-07-13 22:3432 ### Stopping B2G...
rm failed for /data/b2g/mozilla, Permission denied
rm failed for /data/local/storage, Permission denied
2015-07-13 22:3433 ### Restoring Wifi information ...
push: ./mozilla-profile/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf -> /data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf
failed to copy './mozilla-profile/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf' to '/data/misc/wifi/wpa_supplicant.conf': Permission denied
2015-07-13 22:3434 ### No Wifi information.
2015-07-13 22:3434 ### Restoring ./mozilla-profile/profile ...
push: ./mozilla-profile/profile/Crash Reports/submitted/bp-6c90c321-d3a1-46c6-9661-a60972150709.txt -> /data/b2g/mozilla/Crash Reports/submitted/bp-6c90c321-d3a1-46c6-9661-a60972150709.txt
failed to copy './mozilla-profile/profile/Crash Reports/submitted/bp-6c90c321-d3a1-46c6-9661-a60972150709.txt' to '/data/b2g/mozilla/Crash Reports/submitted/bp-6c90c321-d3a1-46c6-9661-a60972150709.txt': Permission denied
AichnerAd@Kuckuck:/cygdrive/c/fxos$ ls

This used to work on previous occasions.
Rooted device and elevated DevTools privileges, which was convenient enough to do via WebIDE Runtime Info.

After a reboot I was able to restore the profile.

Comment 49

2 years ago
Is it (still) normal that I don't receive updates, if I run FxOS 2.5 on Mozilla Flame? :-/
I flashed it with v18D_nightly_v3/v18D_nightly_v5. I clicked on "Search for updates...", but I didn't get some notification, whether it found something or it didn't find something...
Did I do something wrong? 
With v18D_v2 it installed one of the latest updates... Build-ID: 20150629010206 [41.0a1]
What do you have in
settings
developer
update channel
now?

I am on 3.0, have nightly in that field, and got offered one update
after the v5 flash.

Dont know what you need for 2.5

perhaps the info in mdn about latest master build being v2.5 is wrong?
(In reply to Kevin H. from comment #49)
> Is it (still) normal that I don't receive updates, if I run FxOS 2.5 on
> Mozilla Flame? :-/
> I flashed it with v18D_nightly_v3/v18D_nightly_v5. I clicked on "Search for
> updates...", but I didn't get some notification, whether it found something
> or it didn't find something...
> Did I do something wrong? 
> With v18D_v2 it installed one of the latest updates... Build-ID:
> 20150629010206 [41.0a1]

i also have not found newer updates than yours on the nightly channel
Please file a separate bug for issues with Profile backup/restore, as this bug is not meant to cover that specific issue.  Since this bug is marked fixed, your comments will not be normally seen.

Same with OTA, please use https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1174840 .  That bug discusses the issue with OTA being blocked.  Thanks!
Depends on: 1184980
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.