Closed Bug 1180163 Opened 9 years ago Closed 9 years ago

Dev Theme missing after upgrade to 39 stable

Categories

(Firefox :: Theme, defect)

39 Branch
defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

()

RESOLVED WONTFIX

People

(Reporter: ste, Unassigned)

References

Details

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.10; rv:39.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/39.0
Build ID: 20150630154324

Steps to reproduce:

Running 38.0.5 on OS X 10.10.4
Devtheme enabled (dark theme)



Actual results:

Updated to v39
Devtheme (dark and light) disabled
Checked about:config ->browser.devedition.theme.enabled. 
Setting is still set to 'true' even thought theme is not showing.
Cleared settings and tried again. No change


Expected results:

Updating stable should not break the devtheme.
Does it work with a fresh profile?
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/profile-manager-create-and-remove-firefox-profiles
Component: Untriaged → Developer Tools
Flags: needinfo?(stephen.jd.murphy)
Tested with a fresh profile. No issues on that end. Only upgrading carries the issue.
Flags: needinfo?(stephen.jd.murphy) → needinfo?(epinal99-bugzilla2)
Same on windows 8.1, barely any addons, no plugins, no custom themes
Flags: needinfo?(epinal99-bugzilla2)
Is there any clue what this is caused by so we can fix it manually if we have to? I absolutely do not want to have to reset my profile.
Brian, I seem to recall another bug about this somewhere...?
Flags: needinfo?(bgrinstead)
I found no resolution apart from a new profile. I normally use stable for testing so it's not a huge deal personally but this should not happen period. Would not mind trying to fix this either.
(In reply to J. Ryan Stinnett [:jryans] (use ni?) from comment #5)
> Brian, I seem to recall another bug about this somewhere...?

Maybe bug 1164178?
(In reply to Loic from comment #7)
> (In reply to J. Ryan Stinnett [:jryans] (use ni?) from comment #5)
> > Brian, I seem to recall another bug about this somewhere...?
> 
> Maybe bug 1164178?

Hmm, maybe, but that one is marked 39 unaffected.  I'll wait for Brian's opinion, as I don't know the theme code very well.
Just FYI - as of Bug 1148996 (version 40), the Dev Edition theme has been converted to a lightweight theme so this pref will not work anymore and the Dev Edition theme will only be available on Nightly / Dev Edition.

Are you sharing the stable profile that had the problem with another channel (like Nightly or Dev Edition)?
Flags: needinfo?(bgrinstead) → needinfo?(stephen.jd.murphy)
(In reply to marnick.leau from comment #4)
> Is there any clue what this is caused by so we can fix it manually if we
> have to? I absolutely do not want to have to reset my profile.

My best guess is that it's detecting a lightweight theme is selected for some reason.  If you open up Customize Mode and then toggle the "Use Dev Edition theme" button it should re-apply the theme properly.  But as I said in Comment 9, the ability to use the theme in stable is going away in 40 and the 'browser.devedition.theme.enabled' pref is in the process of being removed in Bug 1180583.
(In reply to Brian Grinstead [:bgrins] from comment #10)
> But as I said
> in Comment 9, the ability to use the theme in stable is going away in 40 and
> the 'browser.devedition.theme.enabled' pref is in the process of being
> removed in Bug 1180583.

Does this mean there will be now way whatsoever to get the theme (maybe via a firefox theme from the add-on page) for any non dev firefox editions? If so, I would really want to hear a good reason for this.

Thanks.
(In reply to zlatkot from comment #11)
> (In reply to Brian Grinstead [:bgrins] from comment #10)
> > But as I said
> > in Comment 9, the ability to use the theme in stable is going away in 40 and
> > the 'browser.devedition.theme.enabled' pref is in the process of being
> > removed in Bug 1180583.
> 
> Does this mean there will be now way whatsoever to get the theme (maybe via
> a firefox theme from the add-on page) for any non dev firefox editions? If
> so, I would really want to hear a good reason for this.
> 
> Thanks.

Seconded. Yet another feature removal with 0 discussion or warning beforehand, preceded by glitchy behavior. I can understand the change from a built-in system to using a theme, that's very logical and should have been that way from the start, but now it's a lightweight theme (which I assume can't make tabs square like normal themes can) and it's not available on Stable for some reason? Come on guys, when is all the stripping-down gonna end? At this point there is literally nothing that makes Firefox better than Chrome anymore.
(In reply to zlatkot from comment #11)
> (In reply to Brian Grinstead [:bgrins] from comment #10)
> > But as I said
> > in Comment 9, the ability to use the theme in stable is going away in 40 and
> > the 'browser.devedition.theme.enabled' pref is in the process of being
> > removed in Bug 1180583.
> 
> Does this mean there will be now way whatsoever to get the theme (maybe via
> a firefox theme from the add-on page) for any non dev firefox editions? If
> so, I would really want to hear a good reason for this.
> 
> Thanks.

Yes unfortunately.  If we included the Dev Edition theme as a built in lw theme for release, then it would have broken the use case of syncing two profiles between the two channels (Dev Edition and release).  If lightweightThemes.selectedThemeID was synced to firefox-devedition@mozilla.org on Release then it would unintentionally apply dev edition theme to people who didn't want it.  So in order to have a better technical solution (having the theme implemented as a lightweight theme), we had to give up this hidden feature for release channels.

Now with sticky_prefs available (bug 1098343), this may not be a problem anymore and it may be possible to properly introduce the theme into release channels.  But we would have to decide if showing it as an available theme in the dropdown / about:addons may confuse non-developer users.  I don't think that discussion is related this bug though, so can you please file a new bug to show the theme in Release channels if you think it's a valuable feature?
(In reply to Brian Grinstead [:bgrins] from comment #13)
> But we would have to decide if showing it as an available theme
> in the dropdown / about:addons may confuse non-developer users.
It's a theme. I think users will understand that it being named "developer theme" has nothing to do with being a developer and that it's just a theme, just like "hal 9000 theme" doesn't make your pc a hal9k.
(In reply to Brian Grinstead [:bgrins] from comment #13)
> I don't
> think that discussion is related this bug though, so can you please file a
> new bug to show the theme in Release channels if you think it's a valuable
> feature?

Alright, that's fair, I understand the decision to remove it from about:config. I don't particularly like it. Still, at the matter of filing a bug, I'm assuming I file it under: "Offer us ideas on how to make Firefox better." and the whole "firefox makes me happy/sad" thing? I'm new to filing bugs on here so I'd appreciate any help. 

Thanks.
(In reply to zlatkot from comment #15)
> (In reply to Brian Grinstead [:bgrins] from comment #13)
> > I don't
> > think that discussion is related this bug though, so can you please file a
> > new bug to show the theme in Release channels if you think it's a valuable
> > feature?
> 
> Alright, that's fair, I understand the decision to remove it from
> about:config. I don't particularly like it. Still, at the matter of filing a
> bug, I'm assuming I file it under: "Offer us ideas on how to make Firefox
> better." and the whole "firefox makes me happy/sad" thing? I'm new to filing
> bugs on here so I'd appreciate any help. 

You can file it into the Firefox product from this URL: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Firefox.  Then I'd select 'Theme' as the component and then fill out Summary as the title of the bug and a description explaining how you think it should be behaving (which will show up as the first comment of the bug).  Once you've filed it you can comment here with a link to it and I'll help make sure it is in the right place.
(In reply to Brian Grinstead [:bgrins] from comment #16)
> You can file it into the Firefox product from this URL:
> https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Firefox.  Then I'd select
> 'Theme' as the component and then fill out Summary as the title of the bug
> and a description explaining how you think it should be behaving (which will
> show up as the first comment of the bug).  Once you've filed it you can
> comment here with a link to it and I'll help make sure it is in the right
> place.

Filed here: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1181721, although I didn't find an option to select component, I'm guessing you will be able to modify it?

Thanks for the help.
See Also: → 1181721
Component: Developer Tools → Theme
I take it we can close this then?
Flags: needinfo?(stephen.jd.murphy)
(In reply to Stephen M [ste] from comment #18)
> I take it we can close this then?

Yeah, let's go ahead and close it and then move the discussion about possibly re-adding it into Bug 1181721
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Closed: 9 years ago
Flags: needinfo?(bgrinstead)
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.