Created attachment 8629605 [details] msgSrc.txt User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 SeaMonkey/2.39a1 Build ID: 20150701170115 Steps to reproduce: Try to display a message with poorly encoded from field. (Testcase attached: msgSrc.txt) Actual results: The from field is not displayed at all, the field stays empty. The other headers are not updated accordingly. The last displayed message's headers stays visible. Expected results: The already selected message's headers must be shown.
This is a follow up from Bug 1177702. Please see the previous situation there.
@tahir: Thank you for your report! May I ask you to read the bug writing guidelines <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/QA/Bug_writing_guidelines>, what contain many good hints how to write a good report. a) Please attach that sample-e-mail as .eml, and if possible please send it tom be by email, may be with the "FROM" address as CC. b) please tell how to reproduce the problem (with your sample document) c) Please tell more details concerning creation of such problematic e-mails
OS: Unspecified → Windows
Summary: Seamonkey cannot appropriately display header fields when from field is poorly encoded base64 → In Thread Pane FORM field shown empty if contents is poorly encoded base64
Created attachment 8629714 [details] The .eml file directly from the folder. @Rainer Bielefeld, in reply to Comment 3: Hi Rainer, I have referred Bug 1177702 for further info as this Bug is a follow up of that. Maybe I should have summarize the issue. Sorry for that. The poorly encoded from field WAS crashing the Seamonkey/Thunderbird. It is fixed for the aurora, currently. The same from field is now visible if .eml file is opened directly. But it cannot be shown in the folder. Probably, the msf file is somewha broken. (As in the previous bug.) The poor encoding in the UTF8 to Base64 is something like that: "Cem Yusuf Aydoğdu" in UTF-8 must be encoded as "Q2VtIFl1c3VmIEF5ZG/En2R1" in Base64. Somehow, the "/" character is HTTP encoded an ended up as "=2F" which is still valid in Base64 alphabet. Displaying the file on its own is/was not a problem. Receiving the file from an IMAP folder was a problem, but it is not a problem now. Displaying the file in a folder is still a problem. So, let me answer the articles in the order you mention. a) I'm attaching the mail. I'll also try to forward the mail to you in a few minutes. But as I'm not the originator of the mail, I'm not sure in "which" encoding it will arrive you. b) I think I did it above. c) I just received the message. So, I can just supply the .eml file. I cannot re-produce the bad encoded Base64.
Unfortunately currently there is no way for me to reproduce. Be very careful if you try to reproduce my tests, use of such old SM versions might damage your user profile! My test: 0. Download attached “test.eml” to HDD 1. Because of “Bug 684924 Cannot drag and drop .eml file from Windows folder into email client folder” launch SM 2.0.0 - mail 2. Open folder with “test.eml” 3. Drag and drop “test.eml” to an arbitrary inbox folder Expected due to bug report: Empty column “From” in Thread Pane for this mail Actual: Some strange, senseless string shown in column “From” in Thread Pane for this mail Additional info: d) E SeaMonkey 2.35(γ) (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0 nightly by Adrian Kalla) Gecko/20100101 Build 20150616034436 (Classic Theme) on German WIN7 64bit will crash immediately when I open SM inbox folder containing test.eml, or crashes without visible “From” column when I click it e) 2.26.1 will not crash, but does not show the empty column @reporter: Please tell a particular build identifier area for what the crash problem is fixed. I observed a crash with test.eml with SeaMonkey 2.39a1 Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0 from official download area) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 (Classic Theme) on German WIN7 64bit
Hi Rainer, My client details are below. My locale is English. User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/42.0 SeaMonkey/2.39a1 Build identifier: 20150701170115 d and e) The crashes are due to Bug 1177702. status-thunderbird40: affected → fixed status-thunderbird41: affected → fixed status-thunderbird_esr38: affected → fixed status-seamonkey2.35: --- → affected status-seamonkey2.36: --- → affected status-seamonkey2.37: --- → fixed status-seamonkey2.38: --- → fixed status-seamonkey2.39: --- → fixed Additional info: Even my sent mail folder behaves strangely now. After I forwarded the mail to you, I have one copy that I originally sent. And a second copy that changes the time when I renew the msf file with the current date! All fields are empty in the second one. I don't want to submit a new bug about this as this is related with this bug and may be fixed together with this. If you think it may help, I could attach the folders and .msf files. I think they do not differ from .eml files, though.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.