Open Bug 1184675 Opened 4 years ago Updated 2 years ago

1,300 instances of "Failed to retarget HTML data delivery to the parser thread." emitted from parser/html/nsHtml5StreamParser.cpp during linux64 debug testing

Categories

(Core :: Networking, defect, P3)

x86_64
Linux
defect

Tracking

()

ASSIGNED

People

(Reporter: erahm, Assigned: erahm)

References

(Blocks 1 open bug)

Details

(Whiteboard: [necko-backlog])

Attachments

(1 file)

+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #1055728 +++

> 886 [NNNNN] WARNING: Failed to retarget HTML data delivery to the parser thread.: file parser/html/nsHtml5StreamParser.cpp, line 951

It doesn't seem like this warning is providing much value at this point.

This warning [1] shows up in the following test suites:

> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-devtools-chrome-3-bm54-tests1-linux64-build9.txt:175
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-devtools-chrome-2-bm67-tests1-linux64-build1.txt:112
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-1-bm54-tests1-linux64-build0.txt:112
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-2-bm51-tests1-linux64-build9.txt:69
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-browser-chrome-3-bm54-tests1-linux64-build50.txt:56
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-devtools-chrome-1-bm54-tests1-linux64-build2.txt:54
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-other-bm52-tests1-linux64-build8.txt:46
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-browser-chrome-1-bm51-tests1-linux64-build6.txt:43
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-browser-chrome-2-bm118-tests1-linux64-build16.txt:42
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-devtools-chrome-4-bm122-tests1-linux64-build9.txt:32
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-3-bm67-tests1-linux64-build20.txt:30
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-browser-chrome-1-bm122-tests1-linux64-build7.txt:24
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-browser-chrome-3-bm67-tests1-linux64-build39.txt:19
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-browser-chrome-2-bm54-tests1-linux64-build15.txt:17
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-3-bm54-tests1-linux64-build16.txt:14
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-1-bm116-tests1-linux64-build43.txt:8
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-2-bm117-tests1-linux64-build12.txt:7
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-jetpack-bm51-tests1-linux64-build13.txt:5
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-5-bm117-tests1-linux64-build5.txt:4
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-4-bm122-tests1-linux64-build20.txt:3
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-crashtest-bm54-tests1-linux64-build7.txt:3
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-e10s-2-bm120-tests1-linux64-build0.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-e10s-1-bm120-tests1-linux64-build1.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-push-bm51-tests1-linux64-build16.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-gl-bm52-tests1-linux64-build4.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-5-bm117-tests1-linux64-build17.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-4-bm115-tests1-linux64-build34.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-3-bm67-tests1-linux64-build3.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-2-bm113-tests1-linux64-build0.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-1-bm122-tests1-linux64-build8.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-4-bm54-tests1-linux64-build4.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-jsreftest-bm54-tests1-linux64-build18.txt:1

It shows up in 403 tests. A few of the most prevalent:

> 146 - Shutdown
> 25 - dom/base/test/test_bug704320_https_https.html
> 25 - dom/base/test/test_bug704320_http_https.html
> 25 - dom/base/test/test_bug704320_http_http.html
> 12 - toolkit/components/thumbnails/test/browser_thumbnails_privacy.js
> 12 - dom/security/test/csp/test_upgrade_insecure.html
> 12 - dom/html/test/test_imports_nested_2.html
> 10 - browser/devtools/webconsole/test/browser_webconsole_bug_595934_message_categories.js
> 10 - browser/devtools/framework/test/browser_toolbox_options_disable_cache-02.js
> 9 - dom/base/test/test_XHRDocURI.html
This has become more prevalent making it the #4 most verbose warning during testing. Updated stats:

> 1260 [NNNNN] WARNING: Failed to retarget HTML data delivery to the parser thread.: file parser/html/nsHtml5StreamParser.cpp, line 966

This warning [1] shows up in the following test suites:

> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-2-bm114-tests1-linux64-build11.txt:232
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-1-bm68-tests1-linux64-build32.txt:173
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-devtools-chrome-2-bm116-tests1-linux64-build58.txt:130
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-devtools-chrome-1-bm67-tests1-linux64-build11.txt:112
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-devtools-chrome-4-bm118-tests1-linux64-build21.txt:80
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-2-bm117-tests1-linux64-build25.txt:69
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-devtools-chrome-3-bm67-tests1-linux64-build52.txt:68
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-browser-chrome-3-bm122-tests1-linux64-build39.txt:63
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-other-bm123-tests1-linux64-build17.txt:45
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-browser-chrome-2-bm118-tests1-linux64-build38.txt:39
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-browser-chrome-1-bm68-tests1-linux64-build58.txt:39
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-3-bm118-tests1-linux64-build18.txt:30
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-browser-chrome-3-bm67-tests1-linux64-build50.txt:23
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-3-bm54-tests1-linux64-build18.txt:19
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-5-bm52-tests1-linux64-build6.txt:18
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-browser-chrome-2-bm117-tests1-linux64-build34.txt:18
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-browser-chrome-1-bm123-tests1-linux64-build19.txt:18
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-3-bm121-tests1-linux64-build20.txt:14
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-8-bm68-tests1-linux64-build7.txt:12
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-1-bm54-tests1-linux64-build16.txt:8
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-2-bm53-tests1-linux64-build38.txt:7
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-5-bm118-tests1-linux64-build17.txt:7
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-jetpack-bm54-tests1-linux64-build21.txt:5
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-1-bm118-tests1-linux64-build3.txt:4
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-reftests-bm114-tests1-linux64-build12.txt:3
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-4-bm118-tests1-linux64-build8.txt:3
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-4-bm121-tests1-linux64-build26.txt:3
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-crashtest-bm118-tests1-linux64-build9.txt:3
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-4-bm120-tests1-linux64-build15.txt:2
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-7-bm118-tests1-linux64-build10.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-6-bm122-tests1-linux64-build2.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-e10s-2-bm114-tests1-linux64-build29.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-e10s-1-bm123-tests1-linux64-build14.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-push-bm117-tests1-linux64-build11.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-gl-bm118-tests1-linux64-build29.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-5-bm115-tests1-linux64-build27.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-4-bm54-tests1-linux64-build13.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-3-bm122-tests1-linux64-build38.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-2-bm68-tests1-linux64-build24.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-1-bm118-tests1-linux64-build14.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-jsreftest-bm122-tests1-linux64-build26.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-crashtest-e10s-bm122-tests1-linux64-build3.txt:1

It shows up in 479 tests. A few of the most prevalent:

> 216 - /dom/nodes/Document-characterSet-normalization.html
> 147 - Shutdown
> 25 - dom/base/test/test_bug704320_https_https.html
> 25 - dom/base/test/test_bug704320_http_https.html
> 25 - dom/base/test/test_bug704320_http_http.html
> 12 - toolkit/components/thumbnails/test/browser_thumbnails_privacy.js
> 12 - dom/security/test/csp/test_upgrade_insecure.html
> 12 - dom/html/test/test_imports_nested_2.html
> 12 - dom/base/test/test_anchor_area_referrer_invalid.html
> 10 - dom/base/test/test_anchor_area_referrer.html

[1] https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/annotate/ba43a48d3c52/parser/html/nsHtml5StreamParser.cpp#l966
Summary: 900 instances of "Failed to retarget HTML data delivery to the parser thread." emitted from parser/html/nsHtml5StreamParser.cpp during linux64 debug testing → 1,300 instances of "Failed to retarget HTML data delivery to the parser thread." emitted from parser/html/nsHtml5StreamParser.cpp during linux64 debug testing
This is the #3 most verbose warning during testing. Kyle it looks like you were involved with the bug that introduced this warning, any thoughts on what is going on here?
Flags: needinfo?(khuey)
The warning means there's something in the Necko observer chain for these that doesn't support operating on the HTML parser thread, so instead data gets routed to the main thread instead, slowing down the browser.
Flags: needinfo?(khuey)
Latest breakdown:

> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-devtools-chrome-4-bm118-tests1-linux64-build24.txt:235
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-2-bm123-tests1-linux64-build16.txt:231
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-1-bm53-tests1-linux64-build21.txt:173
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-devtools-chrome-1-bm122-tests1-linux64-build35.txt:84
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-2-bm53-tests1-linux64-build34.txt:69
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-browser-chrome-1-bm53-tests1-linux64-build17.txt:57
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-browser-chrome-2-bm118-tests1-linux64-build40.txt:54
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-devtools-chrome-3-bm122-tests1-linux64-build14.txt:50
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-other-bm118-tests1-linux64-build16.txt:45
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-browser-chrome-3-bm123-tests1-linux64-build0.txt:32
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-3-bm118-tests1-linux64-build24.txt:30
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-browser-chrome-1-bm122-tests1-linux64-build18.txt:22
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-browser-chrome-2-bm122-tests1-linux64-build28.txt:21
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-devtools-chrome-2-bm54-tests1-linux64-build3.txt:21
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-3-bm53-tests1-linux64-build3.txt:19
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-browser-chrome-3-bm118-tests1-linux64-build10.txt:18
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-5-bm118-tests1-linux64-build3.txt:17
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-8-bm123-tests1-linux64-build2.txt:15
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-3-bm53-tests1-linux64-build28.txt:14
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-1-bm118-tests1-linux64-build24.txt:8
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-2-bm118-tests1-linux64-build1.txt:7
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-5-bm118-tests1-linux64-build20.txt:7
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-jetpack-bm122-tests1-linux64-build49.txt:5
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-1-bm122-tests1-linux64-build6.txt:4
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-reftests-bm68-tests1-linux64-build4.txt:3
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-4-bm123-tests1-linux64-build9.txt:3
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-4-bm122-tests1-linux64-build34.txt:3
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-crashtest-bm118-tests1-linux64-build16.txt:3
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-4-bm118-tests1-linux64-build0.txt:2
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-7-bm118-tests1-linux64-build14.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-web-platform-tests-6-bm118-tests1-linux64-build7.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-e10s-2-bm122-tests1-linux64-build11.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-reftest-e10s-1-bm118-tests1-linux64-build22.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-push-bm118-tests1-linux64-build2.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-gl-bm54-tests1-linux64-build13.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-5-bm118-tests1-linux64-build3.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-4-bm53-tests1-linux64-build30.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-3-bm53-tests1-linux64-build22.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-2-bm122-tests1-linux64-build14.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-e10s-1-bm122-tests1-linux64-build23.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-jsreftest-bm123-tests1-linux64-build4.txt:1
> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-crashtest-e10s-bm122-tests1-linux64-build7.txt:1

It shows up in 478 tests. A few of the most prevalent:

> 216 - /dom/nodes/Document-characterSet-normalization.html
> 146 - Shutdown
> 25 - dom/base/test/test_bug704320_https_https.html
> 25 - dom/base/test/test_bug704320_http_https.html
> 25 - dom/base/test/test_bug704320_http_http.html
> 12 - toolkit/components/thumbnails/test/browser_thumbnails_privacy.js
> 12 - dom/security/test/csp/test_upgrade_insecure.html
> 12 - dom/html/test/test_imports_nested_2.html
> 12 - dom/base/test/test_anchor_area_referrer_invalid.html
> 10 - dom/base/test/test_anchor_area_referrer.html
Note devtools is now at the top of the list:

> mozilla-central_ubuntu64_vm-debug_test-mochitest-devtools-chrome-4-bm118-tests1-linux64-build24.txt:235
This adds a logger and converts the current NS_WARNING over to MOZ_LOG. This is generally the approach we took w/ layout and has worked out well as a compromise on logging verbosity. The message is now opt-in; those who care about investigating slowdowns due to failure to retarget to the parsing thread can enable the logger (even on release builds).
Attachment #8656207 - Flags: review?(khuey)
Assignee: nobody → erahm
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Comment on attachment 8656207 [details] [diff] [review]
Convert failed to retarget HTML data warning to log message

Review of attachment 8656207 [details] [diff] [review]:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

I think this is dumb, but fine.
Attachment #8656207 - Flags: review?(khuey) → review+
(In reply to Kyle Huey [:khuey] (khuey@mozilla.com) from comment #7)
> Comment on attachment 8656207 [details] [diff] [review]
> Convert failed to retarget HTML data warning to log message
> 
> Review of attachment 8656207 [details] [diff] [review]:
> -----------------------------------------------------------------
> 
> I think this is dumb, but fine.

I agree it's not optimal. I'm okay not silencing this by default if someone files bugs (with an intent to fix) for whatever is causing these warnings.
Whiteboard: [necko-backlog]
This also shows up in C-C TB |make mozmill| test suite run (using locally created full debug build of C-C TB).

    904 [18224] WARNING: Failed to retarget HTML data delivery to the parser thread.: file /NREF-COMM-CENTRAL/comm-central/mozilla/parser/html/nsHtml5StreamParser.cpp, line 967

They appear 904 times during the test.

Should I file a separate bug for C-C TB case?
Bulk change to priority: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1399258
Priority: -- → P1
Bulk change to priority: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1399258
Priority: P1 → P3
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.