Helvetica Neue style matching always selects a heavy condensed face rather than a normal face

REOPENED
Unassigned

Status

()

P3
normal
REOPENED
3 years ago
a year ago

People

(Reporter: Danielx147, Unassigned)

Tracking

40 Branch
Unspecified
Windows 10
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: [gfx-noted])

Attachments

(4 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

3 years ago
Created attachment 8646766 [details]
2015-08-12_09-20-56.png

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:40.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/40.0
Build ID: 20150730171029

Steps to reproduce:

After 40 FIREFOX update
Any site with bold text is shown with white text.


Actual results:

After 40 FIREFOX update
Any site with bold text is shown with white text.
(Reporter)

Updated

3 years ago
OS: Unspecified → Windows 10
(Reporter)

Comment 1

3 years ago
Created attachment 8646768 [details]
2015-08-12_09-22-10.png
(Reporter)

Comment 2

3 years ago
ONLY ON Windows 10 !!

Comment 3

3 years ago
Thanks for taking the time to report this!
Does the problem still happen if you start Firefox in Safe Mode? (Safe Mode disables extensions and themes, hardware acceleration and some JavaScript stuff in order to exclude some possible reasons for problems. It does not disable plugins which are add-ons.) See http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Safe+Mode 

And does this also happen with a new and empty profile? See http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/Basic%20Troubleshooting#w_8-make-a-new-profile and http://support.mozilla.org/kb/Managing%20profiles

Why can't I set NEEDINFO against the reporter of this bug?
Danielx147@gmail.com
(In reply to Andre Klapper from comment #3)
> Why can't I set NEEDINFO against the reporter of this bug?
> Danielx147@gmail.com

Because he's turned off NEEDINFO requests for himself.

Gerv
Component: Untriaged → Graphics: Text
Product: Firefox → Core
This looks like the problem of us choosing the Helvetica Neue Bold Outline font because the font matching code doesn't distinguish it from the non-outlined Helvetica Neue Bold.

So I believe it's the same as bug 1185812, which was originally filed for Linux but turns out to affect other platforms as well.

Daniel, you should be able to avoid the bug for now by uninstalling the Helvetica Neue Bold Outline (if you don't particularly need it installed for other purposes), and any similar "Outline"-styled font faces.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 3 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Duplicate of bug: 1185812
(Reporter)

Comment 6

3 years ago
(In reply to Jonathan Kew (:jfkthame) from comment #5)
> This looks like the problem of us choosing the Helvetica Neue Bold Outline
> font because the font matching code doesn't distinguish it from the
> non-outlined Helvetica Neue Bold.
> 
> So I believe it's the same as bug 1185812, which was originally filed for
> Linux but turns out to affect other platforms as well.
> 
> Daniel, you should be able to avoid the bug for now by uninstalling the
> Helvetica Neue Bold Outline (if you don't particularly need it installed for
> other purposes), and any similar "Outline"-styled font faces.
> 
> *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 1185812 ***

Thanks !
(Reporter)

Comment 7

3 years ago
(In reply to Jonathan Kew (:jfkthame) from comment #5)
> This looks like the problem of us choosing the Helvetica Neue Bold Outline
> font because the font matching code doesn't distinguish it from the
> non-outlined Helvetica Neue Bold.
> 
> So I believe it's the same as bug 1185812, which was originally filed for
> Linux but turns out to affect other platforms as well.
> 
> Daniel, you should be able to avoid the bug for now by uninstalling the
> Helvetica Neue Bold Outline (if you don't particularly need it installed for
> other purposes), and any similar "Outline"-styled font faces.
> 
> *** This bug has been marked as a duplicate of bug 1185812 ***

UPDATE : I deleted the font,
The problem still remains.
I've heard of cases where apparently "deleting" a font in Windows 10 doesn't necessarily delete it... it may be hidden from some views, but still present on the system and still loaded by some software. Did you restart Firefox after deleting it? Did you try logging out of Windows and back in again? Is the font file present in c:\windows\fonts directory if you look in there with DIR in a console, rather than via Control Panel?
(Reporter)

Comment 9

3 years ago
(In reply to Jonathan Kew (:jfkthame) from comment #8)
> I've heard of cases where apparently "deleting" a font in Windows 10 doesn't
> necessarily delete it... it may be hidden from some views, but still present
> on the system and still loaded by some software. Did you restart Firefox
> after deleting it? Did you try logging out of Windows and back in again? Is
> the font file present in c:\windows\fonts directory if you look in there
> with DIR in a console, rather than via Control Panel?

Deleted from:
C: \ Windows \ Fonts

Once I deleted, Firefox worked normally.
I closed the browser and tried again - back issue.
I turned off the computer and turned on, the problem still exists.
Font not found on the computer.
That seems pretty odd. Could you try capturing a font log, as described in bug 1185812#c21 and following comments, so we can see exactly what's getting loaded? Thanks.
(Reporter)

Comment 11

3 years ago
(In reply to Jonathan Kew (:jfkthame) from comment #10)
> That seems pretty odd. Could you try capturing a font log, as described in
> bug 1185812#c21 and following comments, so we can see exactly what's getting
> loaded? Thanks.

Where do I need to Enable font logging : 
  NSPR_LOG_MODULES = fontlist: 5, textrun: 5
  NSPR_LOG_FILE=/path/to/fontlog.txt
(Reporter)

Comment 12

3 years ago
(In reply to Jonathan Kew (:jfkthame) from comment #10)
> That seems pretty odd. Could you try capturing a font log, as described in
> bug 1185812#c21 and following comments, so we can see exactly what's getting
> loaded? Thanks.

I can not find fontlog.txt
You need to set NSPR_LOG_MODULES and NSPR_LOG_FILE as Windows environment variables before starting Firefox; see Control Panel > System & Security > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced. Or something like that; not sure if this has moved around in Windows 10.

(And for NSPR_LOG_FILE, obviously, you don't literally specify "/path/to/fontlog.txt", but rather a path to a location that actually exists on your system; e.g. create a TEMP directory on your C:\ drive, and then specify NSPR_LOG_FILE=C:\TEMP\fontlog.txt.)
(Reporter)

Comment 14

3 years ago
Created attachment 8649257 [details]
fontlog.txt
(Reporter)

Comment 15

3 years ago
(In reply to Jonathan Kew (:jfkthame) from comment #13)
> You need to set NSPR_LOG_MODULES and NSPR_LOG_FILE as Windows environment
> variables before starting Firefox; see Control Panel > System & Security >
> System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced. Or something like that; not
> sure if this has moved around in Windows 10.
> 
> (And for NSPR_LOG_FILE, obviously, you don't literally specify
> "/path/to/fontlog.txt", but rather a path to a location that actually exists
> on your system; e.g. create a TEMP directory on your C:\ drive, and then
> specify NSPR_LOG_FILE=C:\TEMP\fontlog.txt.)

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8649257(In reply to Jonathan Kew (:jfkthame) from comment #13)
> You need to set NSPR_LOG_MODULES and NSPR_LOG_FILE as Windows environment
> variables before starting Firefox; see Control Panel > System & Security >
> System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced. Or something like that; not
> sure if this has moved around in Windows 10.
> 
> (And for NSPR_LOG_FILE, obviously, you don't literally specify
> "/path/to/fontlog.txt", but rather a path to a location that actually exists
> on your system; e.g. create a TEMP directory on your C:\ drive, and then
> specify NSPR_LOG_FILE=C:\TEMP\fontlog.txt.)

https://bug1193623.bmoattachments.org/attachment.cgi?id=8649257
OK, this snippet from the log:

0[d7aaf0e800]: (fontlist-postscript) name: Helvetica Neue Regular, psname: HelveticaNeue-BoldOutline
0[d7aaf0e800]: (fontlist-fullname) name: Helvetica Neue Regular, fullname: HelveticaNeue-BoldOutline
0[d7aaf0e800]: (fontlist) added (Helvetica Neue Regular) to family (Helvetica Neue) with style: normal weight: 700 stretch: 0 psname: HelveticaNeue-BoldOutline fullname: HelveticaNeue-BoldOutline

confirms that the HelveticaNeue-BoldOutline font is still being found on your system, as suggested in comment 8. I'm not sure exactly what's going on or how you can convince Windows to forget it (maybe it's in a hidden location that doesn't show up in a normal directory listing); perhaps searching for it in the Registry would reveal something?

Anyhow, I think we can safely say this is the same as bug 1185812, from the Firefox side. How to remove the troublesome font so as to sidestep the issue is a Windows question, which unfortunately I don't know a definitive answer to. (Not on Win10 here, so I don't have personal experience of this.)
(Reporter)

Comment 17

3 years ago
(In reply to Jonathan Kew (:jfkthame) from comment #16)
> OK, this snippet from the log:
> 
> 0[d7aaf0e800]: (fontlist-postscript) name: Helvetica Neue Regular, psname:
> HelveticaNeue-BoldOutline
> 0[d7aaf0e800]: (fontlist-fullname) name: Helvetica Neue Regular, fullname:
> HelveticaNeue-BoldOutline
> 0[d7aaf0e800]: (fontlist) added (Helvetica Neue Regular) to family
> (Helvetica Neue) with style: normal weight: 700 stretch: 0 psname:
> HelveticaNeue-BoldOutline fullname: HelveticaNeue-BoldOutline
> 
> confirms that the HelveticaNeue-BoldOutline font is still being found on
> your system, as suggested in comment 8. I'm not sure exactly what's going on
> or how you can convince Windows to forget it (maybe it's in a hidden
> location that doesn't show up in a normal directory listing); perhaps
> searching for it in the Registry would reveal something?
> 
> Anyhow, I think we can safely say this is the same as bug 1185812, from the
> Firefox side. How to remove the troublesome font so as to sidestep the issue
> is a Windows question, which unfortunately I don't know a definitive answer
> to. (Not on Win10 here, so I don't have personal experience of this.)

Now it's back FF BETA 42
http://i.imgur.com/TtyKqxG.png
(In reply to Daniel from comment #17)

> Now it's back FF BETA 42
> http://i.imgur.com/TtyKqxG.png

That's not the outline face, that's some other font. Are you seeing this on some sites but not others?

If possible, could you attach the font logging information for the page that shows the problem? Sorry for the bother.
Status: RESOLVED → REOPENED
Ever confirmed: true
Resolution: DUPLICATE → ---

Updated

3 years ago
Assignee: nobody → jdaggett
(Reporter)

Comment 19

3 years ago
Created attachment 8665272 [details]
fontlog.txt
(Reporter)

Comment 20

3 years ago
(In reply to John Daggett (:jtd) from comment #18)
> (In reply to Daniel from comment #17)
> 
> > Now it's back FF BETA 42
> > http://i.imgur.com/TtyKqxG.png
> 
> That's not the outline face, that's some other font. Are you seeing this on
> some sites but not others?
> 
> If possible, could you attach the font logging information for the page that
> shows the problem? Sorry for the bother.

https://bug1193623.bmoattachments.org/attachment.cgi?id=8665272
Comment hidden (offtopic)
Comment hidden (offtopic)
(In reply to Daniel from comment #22)
> UP

Hi Daniel, John will need to take a look at your attachment before any progress can be made. Please be patient as I'm sure he's really busy.

Thanks
From looking through the logs, you're always going to have problems with the version of Helvetica Neue you have on your system, you have a mismash of Helvetica Neue faces that contain incorrect style information. So Firefox has no way to distinguish one face from another. You *really* need to update/reinstall a proper set of Helvetica Neue fonts.

These faces *all* map to weight 300/style normal/stretch normal:

HelveticaNeue-LightCond
HelveticaNeue-LightCondObl
HelveticaNeue-LightExt
HelveticaNeue-LightExtObl

These faces *all* map to weight 500/style normal/stretch normal:

HelveticaNeue-HeavyCond
HelveticaNeue-HeavyCondObl
HelveticaNeue-HeavyExt
HelveticaNeue-HeavyExtObl
HelveticaNeue-Medium
HelveticaNeue-MediumCond
HelveticaNeue-MediumCondObl
HelveticaNeue-MediumExt
HelveticaNeue-MediumExtObl
HelveticaNeue-Roman

Ideally, Firefox would always use the "HelveticaNeue-Roman" face for use with normal body text, but it's instead using the first one defined since there's no way to distinguish the normal face from other condensed or extended faces.
Summary: Problem with bold text → Helvetica Neue style matching always selects a heavy condensed face rather than a normal face

Updated

3 years ago
Duplicate of this bug: 1210179

Updated

3 years ago
Assignee: jd.bugzilla → nobody
Jonathan, is this bug in your purview?
Flags: needinfo?(jfkthame)
Whiteboard: [gfx-noted]
From comment 24, it sounds like there may not be much we can do on our end; as John points out, the user has a whole bunch of Helvetica Neue font faces that don't appear to have proper style information.
Flags: needinfo?(jfkthame)
(In reply to Jonathan Kew (:jfkthame) from comment #27)
> From comment 24, it sounds like there may not be much we can do on our end;
> as John points out, the user has a whole bunch of Helvetica Neue font faces
> that don't appear to have proper style information.

Thanks, that seems to indicate this bug is invalid. If so, is there something we can advise the reporter to do to work around this (other than just not using the "broken" fonts)?
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.