Personally I've found Carthage a pain to deal with in this project since there isn't that many Carthage-supported frameworks out there. Cocoapods is more widely used and has been around for a while now.
Step one is to figure out how much work this'll take. We need to budget time for this, probably for 1.1, which will mean v1.0 stays on Carthage. Is there any reason not to do that that I'm failing to see?
Nope - just a suggestion. This can totally wait for 1.1 and until iOS 9 is stable.
I'd like to work on it
This bug is out of date. We've since tamed Carthage and it's in a pretty good state now. If you're looking for a good first bug to start hacking on, want to check out https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1272231?