Closed Bug 1203700 Opened 4 years ago Closed 4 years ago

Use floating action toolbar for toolbar text selection

Categories

(Firefox for Android :: General, defect)

All
Android
defect
Not set

Tracking

()

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 1171110

People

(Reporter: mcomella, Unassigned)

References

Details

bug 1164287 changed the activity to inherit from dark action bar, causing the toolbar selection action bar (i.e. hit toolbar, select text in toolbar) to be dark.

Anthony says we should style this with our palette (though I'm not sure we can change the icon color).

Text & icon color: toolbar_icon_grey
Background: toolbar_grey
Divider: fennec_orange
This only affects v21+ builds.
Summary: Style toolbar action bar using our palette → Style v21 toolbar action bar using our palette
A build to see this stuff in action would be great!

I wonder if it would be weird since our "settings" uses the Dark theme. Could we match all of these?
Flags: needinfo?(s.kaspari)
This has been even more broken after bug 1164287, see:
https://bug1195287.bmoattachments.org/attachment.cgi?id=8648710

This has been "fixed" in bug 1195287 by switching to a dark version. It seems like in Material design the action toolbar is always dark.

What's also annoying is that we have two "paste" actions, one floating above the edittext and one in the toolbar:
https://bug1195287.bmoattachments.org/attachment.cgi?id=8654076

I guess the "Material" or at least Android M way would be to use a floating action toolbar? See:
* http://developer.android.com/preview/behavior-changes.html#behavior-test-selection
* http://www.google.com/design/spec/patterns/selection.html#selection-text-selection
Flags: needinfo?(s.kaspari)
(In reply to Sebastian Kaspari (:sebastian) from comment #3)
> I guess the "Material" or at least Android M way would be to use a floating
> action toolbar?

wfm!
Summary: Style v21 toolbar action bar using our palette → Use floating action toolbar for toolbar text selection
(In reply to Sebastian Kaspari (:sebastian) from comment #3)
> This has been even more broken after bug 1164287, see:
> https://bug1195287.bmoattachments.org/attachment.cgi?id=8648710
> 
> This has been "fixed" in bug 1195287 by switching to a dark version. It
> seems like in Material design the action toolbar is always dark.

Yeah, I noticed that too. But I have seen "non-dark" action bars. I can see a "fennec colored" action bar might be kinda neat.

> What's also annoying is that we have two "paste" actions, one floating above
> the edittext and one in the toolbar:
> https://bug1195287.bmoattachments.org/attachment.cgi?id=8654076
> 
> I guess the "Material" or at least Android M way would be to use a floating
> action toolbar? See:
> *
> http://developer.android.com/preview/behavior-changes.html#behavior-test-
> selection
> *
> http://www.google.com/design/spec/patterns/selection.html#selection-text-
> selection

(In reply to Michael Comella (:mcomella) from comment #4)
> (In reply to Sebastian Kaspari (:sebastian) from comment #3)
> > I guess the "Material" or at least Android M way would be to use a floating
> > action toolbar?
> 
> wfm!

This would be great. IT would probably help us close bug 1097398 too! Could we get a build to test all this action bar stuff? "1 action bar UI" to rule them all?
Flags: needinfo?(s.kaspari)
Flags: needinfo?(michael.l.comella)
(In reply to Anthony Lam (:antlam) from comment #5)
> Yeah, I noticed that too. But I have seen "non-dark" action bars. I can see
> a "fennec colored" action bar might be kinda neat.

I'm not talking about ActionBars in general but about the "Contextual Action Mode". I haven't been able to switch it to use a dark text so far. But there's probably a way.

(In reply to Anthony Lam (:antlam) from comment #5)
> This would be great. IT would probably help us close bug 1097398 too! Could
> we get a build to test all this action bar stuff? "1 action bar UI" to rule
> them all?

Mh, it seems like floating action bars are only in Android M so far. There's nothing in the support library as far as I know. Not sure if we want to build our own thing here.. (probably not)
Flags: needinfo?(s.kaspari)
Sebastian has more context here (so see comment 6).
Flags: needinfo?(michael.l.comella)
drive by, we're also tracking Bug 1171110, |Floating text selection action bar for Android M|

Can we dup these together?
(In reply to Mark Capella [:capella] from comment #8)
> drive by, we're also tracking Bug 1171110, |Floating text selection action
> bar for Android M|
> 
> Can we dup these together?

Good call, let's mark this as a dupe.

This is also not just a "polish" bug IMO. It's a more significant feature change (although one I definitely think we should do).
No longer blocks: fennec-polish
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 4 years ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Duplicate of bug: 1171110
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.