Yesterday I took a few minutes to add the mozilla license to all of the xul, css, js, and dtd files in the editor ui. To my dismay I completely broke the editor and all of its dialogs (none of them would load--I just get tiny windows). Apparently adding the license (found at http://www.mozilla.org/NPL/boilerplate- 1.1/npl.html) to the beginning of each file doesn't work. For now, I have backed out the license in all of the *.xul, and *.dtd files. I'm not sure who this bug should go to (parser or xul problem). Please reassign if appropriate.
One interesting thing about XML (and thus xul and presumably dtd) is that the first line in an XML file must be the <?xml version="1.0"?> or similar tag. So the license text would have to start at least on the second line. It may in fact be that the license boilerplat has to follow all the <? tags; I don't know. Perhaps someone who knows XML better can fill me in. Could this have been the problem you were seeing, Kathy? Dan
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 20 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
XML has strict well-formedness rules. The first line has to be the xml 1.0 thing. It has to come first.
Sorry my first stab at the bug wasn't clearer. I added the license starting at line 2 (after the <?xml ... line)
clear resolution note: it doesn't matter if it's below the doctype line; testing more variations...
I added the license comment to the end of the xul file... still doesn't work
You are using <!-- and -->, right?
rats I lost my comment earlier reassign to firstname.lastname@example.org from the xml spec: For compatibility, the string "--" (double-hyphen) must not occur within comments.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 20 years ago → 20 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
I've reformatted the *.html comments in the boilerplate a bit, so they should no longer violate XML comment rules.
Kathy, could you verify this? Thanks! -Chris
Whiteboard: Back to engineer for verification... → Back to engineer for verification...bounce back to QA
Target Milestone: M10
There shouldn't be any reason why you can't verify this (it's not in the code). Just create a xul file and add the license to it. The new license will work. The old license had " --" at the beginning of most of its lines (you could test) which wouldn't work. The url for the license is listed in the comments above.
Low regression priority. Will regress after other bugs.
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
Whiteboard: Back to engineer for verification...bounce back to QA
BULK MOVE: Changing component from XUL to XP Toolkit/Widgets: XUL. XUL component will be deleted.
Component: XUL → XP Toolkit/Widgets: XUL
Component: XP Toolkit/Widgets: XUL → XUL
QA Contact: ckritzer → xptoolkit.widgets
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.