[Messages] 'Delete thread' option is missing from the menu shown when viewing an SMS message

RESOLVED WONTFIX

Status

RESOLVED WONTFIX
3 years ago
2 years ago

People

(Reporter: emorley, Assigned: rishav_, Mentored)

Tracking

({foxfood, polish})

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Attachments

(1 attachment)

>> Feature Request Summary:
"Delete thread" option is missing from the menu shown when viewing an SMS message

>> Description of feature, or problem to be solved
Using the Z3C foxfooding device with the latest FOTA/OTA installed (build number: eng.naoki.20151007.074137, build identifier 20151023101519).

STR:
1) Open the messaging app
2) Open an SMS conversation/thread
3) Press the three-dot menu icon top right

Expected:
One of the options shown on that menu is "Delete thread", like is on the menu shown when you long-press an SMS thread whilst still in the main inbox view.

Actual:
No "Delete thread" option is shown on that particular menu.
Keywords: polish
yeah.

And I also miss the 'Settings' option (that we removed in the past).

What do you think Bryant ?
Flags: needinfo?(bmao)
(Assignee)

Comment 2

3 years ago
Yup, agree with you (for both Settings and delete) Julienw.
Btw i am trying to bring this back, using add-on.Let's see if it's possible to do so.
Created attachment 8685392 [details] [review]
[gaia] kumarrishav:Bug-1222741 > mozilla-b2g:master
(Assignee)

Updated

3 years ago
Assignee: nobody → rishav006
(Assignee)

Comment 4

3 years ago
Comment on attachment 8685392 [details] [review]
[gaia] kumarrishav:Bug-1222741 > mozilla-b2g:master

review? to you Oleg :) 
Julien already has lots of pending reviews :D

Thanks
Attachment #8685392 - Flags: review?(azasypkin)
(Assignee)

Updated

3 years ago
Mentor: azasypkin
(Assignee)

Updated

3 years ago
Summary: "Delete thread" option is missing from the menu shown when viewing an SMS message → [Messages] 'Delete thread' option is missing from the menu shown when viewing an SMS message
Comment on attachment 8685392 [details] [review]
[gaia] kumarrishav:Bug-1222741 > mozilla-b2g:master

Thanks for the quick patch! I left one comment at GitHub, but let's wait for the Bryant input first.

Few more question to Bryant: if we decide to add "Delete thread" option:

1) What text exactly should we use for this menu item, "Delete thread"?
2) What text should be displayed in delete confirmation prompt that will appear once user chooses this option?
3) Conversation draft if any should be removed as well? I believe so, but still want to confirm.

Thanks!
Attachment #8685392 - Flags: review?(azasypkin)
Hi Julien, Kumar,

I think to keep delete on the menu of conversation/dialog box make sense to me. But for settings, I guess the reason to remove it from the dialog box is because user might wonder the settings is only apply to the particular box? Anyone know the exact reason?

For Oleg,

1)I do think the word "thread" is not clear enough, maybe we could change the wording to "Message Dialog" or "Conversation"?

2)What about "Delete the Message Dialog? All history and draft in this dialog will be removed as well."

3)Agree!
Flags: needinfo?(bmao)
(In reply to Bryant Mao [:bryantmao] from comment #6)
> 
> For Oleg,
> 
> 1)I do think the word "thread" is not clear enough, maybe we could change
> the wording to "Message Dialog" or "Conversation"?
> 
> 2)What about "Delete the Message Dialog? All history and draft in this
> dialog will be removed as well."
> 
> 3)Agree!

Thanks for reply Bryant! I like "conversation" term more as well, but I think we still use "thread" in other places like in delete confirmation dialog in Inbox "Delete selected message thread?". Let's ask Matej.

Matej, could you please help us here?

1) In Inbox view when we long tap on thread we can delete it using "Delete thread" menu item and we'll see delete confirmation dialog with the following text: "Delete selected message thread?";

2) We want to add same option to the menu that is shown in Thread view itself ("..." in top right corner). So the question is what text will be better for the menu item and what wording to use for delete confirmation in this case? 

When user chooses this option we'll delete all messages in the thread, the thread itself and discard draft if any (basically same actions when user deletes thread from Inbox view).

Thanks!
Flags: needinfo?(matej)
(Assignee)

Comment 8

3 years ago
For the option, "Delete thread" sounds good to me, as it does the same function what this option does in Inbox view.
But i do think the message in confirmation dialog box should be different as we are not selecting anything. So, Something like, 
"Delete conversation thread" or "Delete this conversation thread" 
or 
"Delete message thread?" "Delete this message thread?"

Thanks
Could it be just "Delete this thread"? Do we need to say "message" or "conversation"?
Flags: needinfo?(matej)
(Assignee)

Comment 10

3 years ago
Not necessary, "Delete this thread?" seems fine.
what you say oleg?
Flags: needinfo?(azasypkin)
(In reply to kumar rishav (:rishav_) from comment #10)
> Not necessary, "Delete this thread?" seems fine.
> what you say oleg?

Yep, looks good to me, thanks
Flags: needinfo?(azasypkin)
(Assignee)

Comment 12

3 years ago
(In reply to Bryant Mao [:bryantmao] from comment #6)
> Hi Julien, Kumar,
> 
> I think to keep delete on the menu of conversation/dialog box make sense to
> me. But for settings, I guess the reason to remove it from the dialog box is
> because user might wonder the settings is only apply to the particular box?
> Anyone know the exact reason?
> 

So, should we go for 'setting' option or not?
Flags: needinfo?(felash)
Flags: needinfo?(bmao)
Hi Kumar,

My suggestion is not to have the "setting" option in the menu of dialog box, since user might wonder if the settings only apply to the particular dialog.
Flags: needinfo?(bmao)
Bryant is our UX master :)
Flags: needinfo?(felash)
(Assignee)

Comment 15

3 years ago
Comment on attachment 8685392 [details] [review]
[gaia] kumarrishav:Bug-1222741 > mozilla-b2g:master

Modified 'ConversationView.delete' method to handle 'delete-thread'
Attachment #8685392 - Flags: feedback?(azasypkin)
(Assignee)

Updated

3 years ago
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Comment on attachment 8685392 [details] [review]
[gaia] kumarrishav:Bug-1222741 > mozilla-b2g:master

Left some feedback at github. You can keep everything in a single commit before r? stage :)

Thanks!
Attachment #8685392 - Flags: feedback?(azasypkin)
(Assignee)

Comment 17

3 years ago
left some comments on github.
Flags: needinfo?(azasypkin)
(In reply to kumar rishav (:rishav_) from comment #17)
> left some comments on github.

Replied :)
Flags: needinfo?(azasypkin)
(Assignee)

Comment 19

3 years ago
Comment on attachment 8685392 [details] [review]
[gaia] kumarrishav:Bug-1222741 > mozilla-b2g:master

Hope this looks fine.
Attachment #8685392 - Flags: review?(azasypkin)
I see you are still actively updating your PR branch - please let me know when you're done so that I can review the latest branch ;)
(Assignee)

Comment 21

3 years ago
Got messed up while fixing merge conflict. I am done now :D you can proceed with review.
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 2 years ago
Resolution: --- → WONTFIX
Attachment #8685392 - Flags: review?(azasypkin)
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.