13.87 KB, image/jpeg
11.37 KB, image/jpeg
122.00 KB, image/jpeg
122.25 KB, image/jpeg
128.82 KB, image/jpeg
Created attachment 8686804 [details] 20151112_amazon_search_engines_actual.jpg User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0 Build ID: 20151112030238 Steps to reproduce: 1. Create a new profile 2. Add amazon.com, amazon.co.jp and amazon.de as search engine Actual results: Only two search engines are added see screenshot 20151112_amazon_search_engines_actual: - Amazon.com - Amazon Search Suggestions Expected results: All three search engines are added see screenshot 20151112_amazon_search_engines_expected: - Amazon.co.jp - Amazon.com - Amazon.de
Created attachment 8686806 [details] 20151112_amazon_search_engines_expected.jpg Attachment to explain the expected result.
Created attachment 8686808 [details] 20151112_amazon_search_engines_expected.jpg
Attachment #8686806 - Attachment is obsolete: true
3 years ago
Component: Untriaged → Search
Summary: Add amazon as search engine → Add amazon as search engine fails
Summary: Add amazon as search engine fails → Adding Amazon as search engine fails
Can this be a result of Bug 1203167 - Store user-installed search plugins in a JSON file and stop loading [profile]/searchplugins/*.xml The files amazondotcom.xml, amazondotcom-de.xml, amazondotcom-jp.xml in [profile]/searchplugins/ are also no longer loaded. Therefore, the search engines must be re-added.
Could you please give more details about the steps to reproduce? Especially, how are you trying to install these engines? Thanks!
Steps to reproduce: 1. Creating a new profile by renaming the current profile and create a new folder with the same name. 2. Calling the page Amazon.co.jp 3. Adding Amazon.co.jp as search engine, as described under https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/add-or-remove-search-engine-firefox#w_add-a-search-engine. See the screenshot 20151117_2130_add_amazoncojp_as_a_search_engine.jpg 4. So far, everything is fine. 5. Calling the page Amazon.co.gb or Amazon.de 6. Adding Amazon.co.gb or Amazon.de as search engine fails See the screenshot 20151117_2130_add_amazoncouk_as_a_search_engine_no_add_button.jpg 20151117_2130_add_amazonde_as_a_search_engine_no_add_button.jpg 7. The Add button will appear again when "Amazon Search Suggestions" is removed as a search engine. The name of the search engine is likely the cause. All Amazon search engines get the same name 'Amazon Search Suggestions' The name of the search engine is likely the cause. All Amazon search engines have the same name 'Amazon Search Suggestions'
Created attachment 8688644 [details] 20151117_2130_add_amazoncouk_as_a_search_engine_no_add_button.jpg
Created attachment 8688645 [details] 20151117_2130_add_amazonde_as_a_search_engine_no_add_button.jpg
Test 2 'Transfer of existing search engines' After step 1 the 'searchplugins' folder will be copied to the profile. With the start of Firefox now the search engines in [profile]/searchplugins/ are again loaded correctly. amazondotcom.xml > Amazon.com amazondotcom-jp.xml > Amazon.co.jp amazondotcom-de.xml > Amazon.de
This looks like a bug on the amazon websites. All of http://www.amazon.co.jp/ http://www.amazon.co.uk/ http://www.amazon.de/ (I also tested http://www.amazon.fr/) link to the exact same OpenSearch file, with the same URL: http://d2lo25i6d3q8zm.cloudfront.net/browser-plugins/AmazonSearchSuggestionsOSD.Firefox.xml Firefox correctly detects these as duplicates, and refuses to install more than one.
I have contacted pre E-Mail to Amazon, but until now get no response. Should I get a response from Amazon, I will add the answer.
OS: Unspecified → Windows 7
Hardware: Unspecified → x86_64
See Also: → bug 1213596
Summary: Adding Amazon as search engine fails → Adding multiple locale of Amazon as search engine fails
2 years ago
platform-rel: --- → ?
platform-rel: ? → +
Component: Search → Desktop
Product: Firefox → Tech Evangelism
Version: 45 Branch → Firefox 45
Setting to needscontact -- see Comment #11 for an explanation of the bug that Amazon needs to fix.
Whiteboard: [platform-rel-Amazon][platform-rel-AmazonShopping] → [platform-rel-Amazon][platform-rel-AmazonShopping][needscontact]
Contacted through our partner mailing-list.
Assignee: nobody → kdubost
Status: UNCONFIRMED → ASSIGNED
Ever confirmed: true
Whiteboard: [platform-rel-Amazon][platform-rel-AmazonShopping][needscontact] → [platform-rel-Amazon][platform-rel-AmazonShopping][sitewait]
Update from the ML: > we’ve added this to a backlog. However, we show extremely low usage of opensearch in general for searching our site, so it’s unlikely that this will bubble to the top of the priority stack any time soon.
This issue is still reproducible on Windows 10 and Nightly 61.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.