Thunderbird 38.4.0 does not load mails via POP3 when manual proxy configuration is used.

UNCONFIRMED
Unassigned

Status

MailNews Core
Networking: IMAP
--
major
UNCONFIRMED
2 years ago
a year ago

People

(Reporter: bugzilla, Unassigned)

Tracking

x86_64
Windows 7

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

2 years ago
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:38.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/38.0
Build ID: 20151027170520

Steps to reproduce:

After creating a new profile and configuring one POP3 account (from my server running on Linux and using dovecot), I was able to use this new account and load and send  new mails successfully. Thunderbird is running in Win7, 64Bit.


Actual results:

After some time (less than 3 hours), Thunderbird failed to load mails. The error console gives the following error message:

Zeitstempel: 06.12.2015 15:21:07
Fehler: An error occurred executing the cmd_getNewMessages command: [Exception... "Component returned failure code: 0x8055000a [nsIMsgIncomingServer.getNewMessages]"  nsresult: "0x8055000a (<unknown>)"  location: "JS frame :: chrome://messenger/content/mailWindowOverlay.js :: GetNewMsgs :: line 2719"  data: no]
Quelldatei: chrome://global/content/globalOverlay.js
Zeile: 99

The logfile from dovecot does not show any attempts for connection. A telnet from my windows machine to my home server shows me the message that dovecot is ready for connection.

Restarting Thunderbird and/or my Windows machine did not solve the issue. Thunderbird refues to download mails.


Expected results:

Mails should have been downloaded successfully.
(Reporter)

Updated

2 years ago
OS: Unspecified → Windows 7
Hardware: Unspecified → x86_64
(Reporter)

Comment 1

2 years ago
More details regarding the "source" of the problem and the solution in case it happens (I just found out):

The problem can be triggered by editing the parameters for the network connection, i.e. if I use the proxy settings of the system, then Thunderbirds works perfectly fine, however when I manually enter proxy parameters, then the described failure occurs.

I my case, I entered: http proxy fqdn of my proxy and port 4711 and I am using this setting for all services (these paramter work perfectly fine in Firefox).

Comment 2

2 years ago
FQDN = fully qualified domain name.
Summary: Thunderbird 38.4.0 does not load mails via POP3 → Thunderbird 38.4.0 does not load mails via POP3 when manual proxy configuration is used.

Updated

2 years ago
Component: Untriaged → Networking: POP
Product: Thunderbird → MailNews Core

Comment 3

2 years ago
Proxy? Let's ask Kent.
Flags: needinfo?(rkent)

Comment 4

2 years ago
There were changes to the proxy code in mozilla-central that we had to adopt in Thunderbird 38. My understanding is that broke some of our proxy code, and is still not fixed. I do not know the extent of what works and does not work. The guy who does the proxy addon was trying to fix this, but I think he has not made any progress for the last few months. There are bugs on this somewhere.
Flags: needinfo?(rkent)

Comment 5

2 years ago
As I am having an issue with "No proxy for:" with manual proxy configured, I don't know if this bug is related to my bug.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1263295

Comment 6

a year ago
I confirm I have the same issue on TB 38 on Linux.

I have a proxy running on localhost, and none of the following is working:
* Using system proxy
* Using manual proxy
* Installing Foxy Proxy (this crashes TB).

I also tried to setup a ssh port forward on localhost. This works fine when no proxy is selected in TB. But this stops working when using the proxy (system or manual). Also, the following does not work as well:
* Using manual proxy with "No proxy for:" set for localhost.

However, the proxy DOES work (at least when set to system proxy) with add-on. At least, it worked with the Remote Address Book. I noticed that the book was not sync'ing at work, and noticed that TB was configured w/o proxy. So I enabled the system proxy (which is basically a local privoxy that then connects to the company proxy), and the book sync'ed fined.

What is also very frustrating is that when the proxy does not work, TB simply says nothing. There is no line in the activity manager. Only the mouse pointer and the tab icon that are spinning forever. It was very difficult to narrow down the problem to the proxy.

In any case, there seems to be serious flaws in the current proxy implementation.
ref bug 1159448, bug 1263295
Component: Networking: POP → Networking: IMAP

Updated

a year ago
Severity: normal → major
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.