[Firefox + You] April newsletter

RESOLVED FIXED

Status

RESOLVED FIXED
3 years ago
a year ago

People

(Reporter: bniolet, Assigned: jbalaco)

Tracking

Details

(Whiteboard: Creative Collective Project)

Attachments

(15 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

3 years ago
>>Project/Request Title:
[Firefox + You] April newsletter

>>Project Overview:
This bug will track our creative needs for the April edition of Firefox + You newsletter. Here is our proposed schedule: 

March 4: Outline due
March 9: Copy draft
March 11: Copy final
March 17: Design draft
March 22: Design final
April 7: Newsletter launch

>> Creative Help Needed:
Copy:    Yes 
Design:  Yes 
Video:   No 
Other:  No

>>Creative Specs:
Outline and copy will come through here for review on G-docs. Design will need to be a PSD suitable for slicing or final images. PSD does not need to include actual copy. Just images / graphics.

>>CTA and Design:
Outline and copy to come.

>>Expected Launch Date:
2016-04-07

>>Mozilla Goal:
Firefox Browser

>>Mozilla Creative Collective:
Yes

>>Points of Contact:
mjkelly@mozilla.com, mthayer@mozilla.com, jdavis@mozilla.com, bniolet@mozilla.com,

Comment 1

3 years ago
Hey all,

The outline is ready for comments. There are a number of options that we need to winnow down. Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/document/d/1_kvW085Z06cURFzwGfpk3RFaWBUrzYaOTLjS-4m6eb8/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks!

Comment 2

3 years ago
Matej, can you please give the April copy a review?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vJf8BRvWs9G39dmoh0kLxTMBs3eAxtvPYVKXRwoy454/edit
Flags: needinfo?(matej)

Comment 3

3 years ago
Comments and edits are in. Thanks.
Flags: needinfo?(matej)

Comment 4

3 years ago
Hi Allen,

The copy for the April Firefox + You newsletter is ready for design work. Here's the  link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1vJf8BRvWs9G39dmoh0kLxTMBs3eAxtvPYVKXRwoy454/edit

I'll set a time up for us to go over this plus the April snippet designs on Monday. 

M.J.

Comment 5

3 years ago
Updated design schedule:

March 24: Design draft
March 29: Design final
April 14: Newsletter launch

Comment 6

3 years ago
Created attachment 8734522 [details]
Fx&You_newsletter_April_600px-v1.png

Design draft for April newsletter. Includes 3 first stories and this month's features. I haven't finished the bottom boxes yet but wanted to get any feedback on the main images.

Comment 7

3 years ago
Thanks Allen. We'll get together and I'll post collective feedback shortly.

Comment 8

3 years ago
Hey Allen,

Thanks for posting the draft design! We're off to a great start. Here is the team's feedback:

Feature 1 -- Tab sync button

We'd like to pull back here, simplify and add a human touch. Thinking a desk scene, showing just a desktop monitor and a phone. Depict the two devices "talking/syncing" to each other, maybe with dotted lines. If you can find a nice way to include the tab button on the monitor, great. In that case, we need to connect you with the graphic of the tab so that the angles and slopes are correct. 

Feature 2 -- Hello screen sharing

Let's fill up the white space by dropping the background, the monitor and the browser. Let's go more conceptual here. Thinking you could enlarge the Eiffel Tower background to the full hero image size. Split it down the middle so one side shows daytime and the other nighttime. Put the two people on different sides of the screen in Hello boxes.

Feature 3 -- Control center

Let's enlarge the browser box so that it fills the hero image space with no green background. The icons and the callout with the lock are great. Let's cut the speaker icon though. Add something to the page background that conjures a website for which security is important. Thinking you could add a bank icon and a field for your login with the password field masked with dots. 

The monthly features are solid.

Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions.

Comment 9

3 years ago
(In reply to M.J. Kelly from comment #8)
> Hey Allen,
> 
> Thanks for posting the draft design! We're off to a great start. Here is the
> team's feedback:
> 
> Feature 1 -- Tab sync button
> 
> We'd like to pull back here, simplify and add a human touch. Thinking a desk
> scene, showing just a desktop monitor and a phone. Depict the two devices
> "talking/syncing" to each other, maybe with dotted lines. If you can find a
> nice way to include the tab button on the monitor, great. In that case, we
> need to connect you with the graphic of the tab so that the angles and
> slopes are correct. 
> 
> Feature 2 -- Hello screen sharing
> 
> Let's fill up the white space by dropping the background, the monitor and
> the browser. Let's go more conceptual here. Thinking you could enlarge the
> Eiffel Tower background to the full hero image size. Split it down the
> middle so one side shows daytime and the other nighttime. Put the two people
> on different sides of the screen in Hello boxes.
> 
> Feature 3 -- Control center
> 
> Let's enlarge the browser box so that it fills the hero image space with no
> green background. The icons and the callout with the lock are great. Let's
> cut the speaker icon though. Add something to the page background that
> conjures a website for which security is important. Thinking you could add a
> bank icon and a field for your login with the password field masked with
> dots. 
> 
> The monthly features are solid.
> 
> Thanks! Let me know if you have any questions.

Do we have access to the tab button? I can recreate it, it's a little hard to get the shape correct at the size I have available.

Comment 10

3 years ago
Created attachment 8735573 [details]
synch-arrow.gif

Do we want to include this synch arrow in story illustration 1?

Comment 11

3 years ago
Hi Allen,

I don't have access to the tab visual, but I'm sure someone in creative does. I'll add a few people to weigh in. Matej? Jen?

Those arrows would work for feature 1.
Flags: needinfo?(matej)
Flags: needinfo?(jbalaco)

Comment 12

3 years ago
Created attachment 8735990 [details]
Fx&You_newsletterTemplate_April_600px-v2.png

Revised April newsletter. Dropped the tab icon from the first feature in the interest of simplicity.
Sounds like you got it sorted, but let me know if you need anything else.
Flags: needinfo?(matej)

Comment 14

3 years ago
Hi Allen,

Great job! It's bright, cheeful and visually on tone. We love it(!) with just a few tweaks.

Feature 1:
Really like the graphic, but we think it would be stronger if the tab visual were incorporated. Idea: Add the tab button to both screens. Could put it in a square, similar to how it appears in the browser when you hover over it with your mouse. In this case, it is pretty important to get the actual visual. Matej, can you help with that?

Feature 2: Love it! The blue looks a little brighter than the blue on the product page: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/hello/. We just want to make sure that they match.

Feature 3: Nice job. I noticed the green lock icons don't look exactly symmetrical. The angle of the curves on the right sides look slightly more square. Can you take a look?

The rest is good to go. Thanks!
Flags: needinfo?(matej)
(In reply to M.J. Kelly from comment #14)
> Hi Allen,
> 
> Great job! It's bright, cheeful and visually on tone. We love it(!) with
> just a few tweaks.
> 
> Feature 1:
> Really like the graphic, but we think it would be stronger if the tab visual
> were incorporated. Idea: Add the tab button to both screens. Could put it in
> a square, similar to how it appears in the browser when you hover over it
> with your mouse. In this case, it is pretty important to get the actual
> visual. Matej, can you help with that?

I'm assuming we're talking about the Synced Tabs icons in the browser menu? Unfortunately I'm not sure who would have that asset.

Shorlander, can you help? Or point us in the right direction?
Flags: needinfo?(shorlander)
Flags: needinfo?(matej)
Flags: needinfo?(jbalaco)
I believe this is what you're looking for, courtesy of Shorlander: http://cl.ly/0n3I0z0X1v0n

Let me know if there's anything else.
Flags: needinfo?(shorlander)

Comment 17

3 years ago
Thanks Matej!

Comment 18

3 years ago
Created attachment 8736451 [details]
Fx&You_newsletter_April_600px-v3.png

Revised the synch illustration. I think it incorporates the actual button but maintains some visual simplicity. Let me know what you think.

For the Hello illustration I used the Hello windows from the original illustration. It should be the same blue.

The locks were a bit lopsided. Thanks for catching that.

Comment 19

3 years ago
Hi Allen,

This looks great. We're ready for final files. Can you please post a full .PSD file? We'd also like to experiment with using cropped, flat PNG files of the visuals. It may make building the HTML layout a lot easier. Here are the specs:

>Hero images: cropped to 600px width. Typically 300px high.

> Footer box image: need just the top of the box where the image appears without any text, cropped to 295x106px

> Monthly features thumbnail images: Crop to include the outline. 

Thanks!

Comment 20

3 years ago
Created attachment 8736518 [details]
Fx&You_newsletterTemplate_April_600px-final.psd

Final April newsletter PSD.

Comment 21

3 years ago
Created attachment 8736903 [details]
tab-synch_600x300.png

Hero image: story 1

Comment 22

3 years ago
Created attachment 8736904 [details]
hello-screen-share_600x300.png

Hero image: Story 2

Comment 23

3 years ago
Created attachment 8736905 [details]
control-center_600x300.png

Hero image: Story 3

Comment 24

3 years ago
Created attachment 8736932 [details]
feature-shiny-object_112x112.png

monthly feature image: shiny

Comment 25

3 years ago
Created attachment 8736935 [details]
feature-video-download_112x112.png

monthly feature image: video download

Comment 26

3 years ago
Created attachment 8736936 [details]
feature-whatsapp_112x112.png

monthly feature image: WhatsApp

Comment 27

3 years ago
(In reply to M.J. Kelly from comment #19)
> Hi Allen,
> 
> This looks great. We're ready for final files. Can you please post a full
> .PSD file? We'd also like to experiment with using cropped, flat PNG files
> of the visuals. It may make building the HTML layout a lot easier. Here are
> the specs:
> 
> >Hero images: cropped to 600px width. Typically 300px high.
> 
> > Footer box image: need just the top of the box where the image appears without any text, cropped to 295x106px
> 
> > Monthly features thumbnail images: Crop to include the outline. 
> 
> Thanks!
M.J. Sorry, not clear what you mean by Footer box image, is that the two offers?
Flags: needinfo?(mjkelly)

Comment 28

3 years ago
Yes, the new Sync box at the bottom. In the HTML code, the box itself is broke into a few pieces to accommodate the translated copy in different email versions, hence we only need the top portion of the box.
Flags: needinfo?(mjkelly)

Comment 29

3 years ago
Created attachment 8736953 [details]
footer-synch_295x118.png

footer, synch image

Comment 30

3 years ago
Created attachment 8736955 [details]
footer-principles_295x118.png

M.J.
we just need the top part, is that correct?

Footer, principles attached
Flags: needinfo?(mjkelly)

Comment 31

3 years ago
It looks like my spec notes in Comment #19 was truncated. The box graphics should be cropped to 295x106. Sorry about that. 

The "10 Principle" box has already been created, so we're good there. We just need the top portion of the 
Sync box.
Flags: needinfo?(mjkelly)

Comment 32

3 years ago
Created attachment 8737278 [details]
footer-synch_295x106.png

resized

Comment 33

3 years ago
Created attachment 8737279 [details]
footer-principles_295x106.png

I recommend using this one for the "our 10 Principles" footer box because I reversed the type to be white. It is currently on an orange background. If needed I can convert it to white type on a transparent background.
(Reporter)

Updated

a year ago
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: a year ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.