User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/43.0 Build ID: 20160105164030 Steps to reproduce: Visit https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/developers/addon/selite-testcase-debug-conte/edit logged in as its owner. Go to Technical Details near the bottom, click Edit. In 'Required Add-ons' try to enter 'Selenium IDE' (i.e. name of https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/selenium-ide/). Actual results: 'Selenium IDE' matches many add-ons that contain 'Selenium IDE' in their name. However, the page shows an incomplete list for a dropdown. It doesn't list 'Selenium IDE'. So I can't pick it up. Even worse, if I just enter 'Selenium IDE' (which is difficult to do: the only way I know is to copy that string to clipboard, then right click at the field and paste) and submit the form, it won't get saved as a required add-on. Expected results: It should - list all matching add-ons (with a scrollbar, if need be), and/or - accept a typed name (without selecting from the ajax dropdown), if it exactly matches an add-on name.
I can confirm the bug. It's a bit of an edge case, so I don't expect it to be fixed soon. As a workaround, you can enter 2079 in the textbox, which is the numerical ID for Selenium IDE. That should work.
Jorge, Thank you. However, this problem affects many more extensions, because it seems that the ajax dropdown lists only up to 9-10 items. Even worse, it seems to perform fuzzy matching, which means there are even fewer exact (partial) matches. So it won't affect only add-ons whose name is a substring of names of other add-ons, even if there are fewer than 9-10 of those other add-ons (because fuzzy matching adds extra noise and hits the limit of 9-10 items displayed). Now I'm having a problem entering 'SeLite Extension Sequencer' (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/selite-extension-sequencer/) as a dependency. What's its number, please? Furthermore, would you provide steps for add-on admins to locate numbers to enter as dependencies. I've tried to get ID for SeLite Extension Sequencer. I inspected Technical Details > edit of another add-on that already has SeLite Extension Sequencer as a dependency. Using Firebug it seemed to me that its number was 464285, but that didn't work.
Jorge, I won't need number for SeLite Extension Sequencer. However, the steps would be useful. They would save your time and that of others.
(In reply to Peter Kehl from comment #2) > However, this problem affects many more extensions, because it seems that > the ajax dropdown lists only up to 9-10 items. > > Even worse, it seems to perform fuzzy matching, which means there are even > fewer exact (partial) matches. I consider it an edge case because very few add-ons use the "Required add-ons" feature, and only a small subset of them would run into this particular name-matching problem. It's possible only some Selenium add-ons would experience this bug. > Furthermore, would you provide steps for add-on admins to locate numbers to > enter as dependencies. I've tried to get ID for SeLite Extension Sequencer. > I inspected Technical Details > edit of another add-on that already has > SeLite Extension Sequencer as a dependency. Using Firebug it seemed to me > that its number was 464285, but that didn't work. That's the correct number, and it looks like you already set it as a dependency. Since the numerical ID is hidden in the source, I created this add-on to expose it in the add-on page (and do other tweaks to AMO pages): https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/amo-admin-assistant/. That's the best workaround I can suggest. The real bug here is that the search tries to be too clever, which is a problem that pops up in other parts of the site. We'll need to revisit the search feature in the site redesign that will probably happen this year.
Thank you. Alternative and smaller suggestion for a fix for that search (for that page, or other parts of AMO): Change the dropdown matcher, so that it always includes an exact match (if there is one), before it lists any substring/fuzzy matches.