User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/48.0.2564.103 Safari/537.36 Steps to reproduce: 1 - Having about 70 - 80 email address aliases under two accounts 2 - Use (write/reply) to alias email addresses Actual results: - alias email addresses disappear and need to be entered again - upon reply to an email received to an alias address, where the alias has disappeared the default address for the account appears instead of the alias address Expected results: alias email addresses should stay and not needing reentering to stay functional
OS: Unspecified → Windows 8.1
Priority: -- → P3
Hardware: Unspecified → x86_64
what exactly do you mean by alias? Do you mean a contact's nickname in the addressbook? Or do you mean in account identity?
Priority: P3 → --
There is a file prefs.js which contains entries like that: user_pref("mail.identity.id1.useremail", "firstname.lastname@example.org"); When I add an alias, it is added to this file. I am observing this file since yesterday and have not observed a loss yet. I grep with userema on prefs.js and compare the result from previous grep. The aliases which have been functional (receive/send emails) disappear and need to be reentered. This is happening consistently for for quite a while across several THB upgrades.
How many identities do you have under each account?
Summary: Thunderbird Aliases disappear → Thunderbird Identities/Aliases disappear from prefs
40 and 32 email addressed, increasing - added one, then diff, no loss at this one Not sure what could be causing it - I run this Remove Duplicates plugin or whatever it is called. Just checked it, before/after - run 7 - inconclusive As it looks it's data loss without warning/error message...
The Remove Duplicates addon should only remove messages, not identities. When a "mail.identity.idX.useremail" pref is lost, is X reused again for a new identity when you add one? Or is always a new unique number generated?
I started following and dealing with this issue a couple of days ago after I got fed up having to add again and again removed but existing and working alias. Since observing it, I have not yet seen a missing case when comparing the "mail.identity.idX.useremail" occurrences before and after running THB. I am on iteration 11 right now and keep doing it until it shows up and then maybe get some idea about the context when it could happen. Once I have a missing case, I'll post it here. I cannot say anything about the frequency since I notice it only when I answer an email with an identity. My subjective impression is that the entities which go missing are "older" i. e. not used for a longer time.
Update on this: I encountered another missing identity alias but it got missing before my closer observation, here are the data: 179 emails received 41 emails sent under this alias-identity last email sent under this alias-identity: Dec. 14, 2015, discovered missing: Feb. 11, 2016
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.