Add a button or something to copy the short url of bug and comment

NEW
Unassigned

Status

()

bugzilla.mozilla.org
User Interface: Modal
2 years ago
2 years ago

People

(Reporter: xidorn, Unassigned)

Tracking

Production

Details

It seems we have a domain "bugzil.la" as a short url of bugs in our bugzilla. Could we probably add a button besides bug title and each comment, which copies the short url of the corresponding bug/comment to the clipboard?

The full url is too long and when pasting to services like Twitter, the bug number could be hidden due to longness, which is really undesired.
(In reply to Xidorn Quan [:xidorn] (UTC+8) from comment #0)
> It seems we have a domain "bugzil.la" as a short url of bugs in our
> bugzilla. Could we probably add a button besides bug title and each comment,
> which copies the short url of the corresponding bug/comment to the clipboard?

bugzil.la isn't owned/operated by mozilla; it's run by a trusted community member.  my concern about baking it into production is surrounding its availability (it doesn't have the amount of redundancy that bmo has).


if we do add this, it should be on the new ui only, as a menuitem on the top bug-level menu (under 'history').


pro tip: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/1252334 works
Component: User Interface → User Interface: Modal
(In reply to Byron Jones ‹:glob› from comment #1)
> (In reply to Xidorn Quan [:xidorn] (UTC+8) from comment #0)
> > It seems we have a domain "bugzil.la" as a short url of bugs in our
> > bugzilla. Could we probably add a button besides bug title and each comment,
> > which copies the short url of the corresponding bug/comment to the clipboard?
> 
> bugzil.la isn't owned/operated by mozilla; it's run by a trusted community
> member.  my concern about baking it into production is surrounding its
> availability (it doesn't have the amount of redundancy that bmo has).

It seems we've add that url to our page header as canonical shorturl in bug 582699, so it is probably fine here as well?

Probably moco should consider adopt that domain from that community member? It seems that domain has been used widely.

> if we do add this, it should be on the new ui only, as a menuitem on the top
> bug-level menu (under 'history').

What about the comments? I'd suggest we can probably add a small link or icon besides the bug link and comment link?

(I actually guess it's worth a proposal to HTML spec to add an attribute to links to allow copying a different url than that in href. It is probably useful for the web as well.)

> pro tip: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/1252334 works

Oh, that's great, though still longer than bugzil.la. And there is also no direct way to copy this url. If you are concerned about the availbility of bugzil.la, probably the button (or menuitem) could copy this url instead.
(In reply to Xidorn Quan [:xidorn] (UTC+8) from comment #2)
> It seems we've add that url to our page header as canonical shorturl in bug
> 582699, so it is probably fine here as well?

that's a fair point, but that url is not well exposed.

> Probably moco should consider adopt that domain from that community member?
> It seems that domain has been used widely.

probably.  see bug 1063199.

> What about the comments? I'd suggest we can probably add a small link or
> icon besides the bug link and comment link?

no - adding a link/icon for each comment for something that has a slim use-case is not something that i want to do.  i think it's important to keep the ui as uncluttered as possible.

that would be easy to do from a firefox addon.

> Oh, that's great, though still longer than bugzil.la. And there is also no
> direct way to copy this url. If you are concerned about the availbility of
> bugzil.la, probably the button (or menuitem) could copy this url instead.

indeed.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.