Closed Bug 1285895 Opened 3 years ago Closed 3 years ago

When hovering "Cause" the mouse cursor should be "default" not "pointer"

Categories

(DevTools :: Netmonitor, defect, P3)

50 Branch
defect

Tracking

(firefox50 fixed, firefox51 verified)

VERIFIED FIXED
Firefox 50
Tracking Status
firefox50 --- fixed
firefox51 --- verified

People

(Reporter: nachtigall, Assigned: Towkir, Mentored)

References

Details

(Whiteboard: [good first bug][lang=css][good taipei bug])

Attachments

(3 files)

I am not totally sure but I think the mouse cursor should be default (the "arrow") and not pointer (the "hand") when for instance the "JS" is hovered in the Netmonitor's "Cause" column. 

The "hand" associates that there is something to click which is not. Clicking on the "JS" does just nothing (except it highlight the row which has nothing to do with the "JS" icon).

See screenshot.

(This is just a nit. Alltogether I find the transient popup very, very nice and hope that this could be done the some way for the Inspector's "ev" popup and also the Debugger variable popups)
Blocks: 1134073
Two small nits (see screenshot for better understanding):

1. Concerning that the mouse cursor should not be "pointer" (hand) when hovering: I understand that it probably makes sense to visualize to the user that something is happening when hovering. Maybe the "JS" icon could just get another background color to emphasize this. Same like when hovering other elements like the "Hamburger" menu or the (i) in the https address bar.

2. In the netmonitor, when hovering image names (the whole "File" column, not just the supermini image icon) then the popup is show. I think that the "Cause" column should behave the same. Not only show the popup when the "JS" icon is hovered but also when the "cause name" (img, script, stylesheet) is hovered.
Jarda, is this simple to fix?

Honza
Flags: needinfo?(jsnajdr)
Priority: -- → P3
(In reply to Jan Honza Odvarko [:Honza] PTO 07/23 - 08/08 from comment #2)
> Jarda, is this simple to fix?

Yes, a simple CSS change. Marking as good first bug.

By the way, the security icon in the Domain column also has a "pointer" cursor, although it's not clickable.
Mentor: jsnajdr
Flags: needinfo?(jsnajdr)
Whiteboard: [good first bug][lang=css]
Whiteboard: [good first bug][lang=css] → [good first bug][lang=css][good taipei bug]
(In reply to Jarda Snajdr [:jsnajdr] from comment #3)
> (In reply to Jan Honza Odvarko [:Honza] PTO 07/23 - 08/08 from comment #2)
> > Jarda, is this simple to fix?
> 
> Yes, a simple CSS change. Marking as good first bug.
> 
> By the way, the security icon in the Domain column also has a "pointer"
> cursor, although it's not clickable.

Hi, I am submitting a patch, 
should I just remove the line "cursor: pointer;" or change it to "cursor: default;" ?
I think removing is better, because there is nothing that is going to change it to something else.
(In reply to [:Towkir] Ahmed from comment #4)
> Hi, I am submitting a patch, 
> should I just remove the line "cursor: pointer;" or change it to "cursor:
> default;" ?
> I think removing is better, because there is nothing that is going to change
> it to something else.

Hello Ahmed, if removing the rule does the right thing, then it's the way to go. Please have a look at the security icon, too, it should be a very similar change.
As there is a tooltip available while hovering on them, I think it is okay to have no changes on the icons while hovering on them.
But if you want me too change that too, I can do that :)
Assignee: nobody → 3ugzilla
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Attachment #8773879 - Flags: review?(jsnajdr)
Comment on attachment 8773879 [details] [diff] [review]
changed_mouse_cursor.patch

Review of attachment 8773879 [details] [diff] [review]:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Looks good, thank you!
Attachment #8773879 - Flags: review?(jsnajdr) → review+
Keywords: checkin-needed
Pushed by cbook@mozilla.com:
https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/fx-team/rev/c88b3a45bf36
Mouse cursor changed to 'default' from 'pointer' while hovering on 'Cause' and 'security' icon in devtools > netmonitor. r=jsnajdr
Keywords: checkin-needed
https://hg.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/rev/c88b3a45bf36
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 3 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → Firefox 50
Thanks a lot for fixing! <3

However, the nits raised in Comment 1 are not resolved. Especially the 2. point is a ux inconsitency and the File column handles it better than the Cause column.

Should I open extra bugs for the two things in Comment 1 or do you think it's not valid? (NIing Jarda)
Flags: needinfo?(jsnajdr)
(In reply to Jens from comment #1)
> Created attachment 8770502 [details]
> JS_icon_hover_and_whole_column.png
> 
> Two small nits (see screenshot for better understanding):
> 
> 1. Concerning that the mouse cursor should not be "pointer" (hand) when
> hovering: I understand that it probably makes sense to visualize to the user
> that something is happening when hovering. Maybe the "JS" icon could just
> get another background color to emphasize this. Same like when hovering
> other elements like the "Hamburger" menu or the (i) in the https address bar.

The elements in the address bar (security icon and others) don't display anything on hover, but are clickable. Changing the color on hover provides an affordance that the element is active and can be clicked.

The JS stacktrace is displayed on hover, not on click, however.

I agree it would be useful to provide some visual clue that you can get additional information by hovering over the image thumbnail or the JS icon. But that clue should be visible even before the hovering. But I don't know how to do it. Maybe Helen has some idea?

If we agree to do something about it, let's file a separate bug, although I think it's not terribly important.

> 2. In the netmonitor, when hovering image names (the whole "File" column,
> not just the supermini image icon) then the popup is show. I think that the
> "Cause" column should behave the same. Not only show the popup when the "JS"
> icon is hovered but also when the "cause name" (img, script, stylesheet) is
> hovered.

Yes, I'd also like to show the popups when hovering on the whole table cell. But our current tooltip code doesn't support triggering a popup over some element and then anchoring its arrow to another element. Was discussed some time ago in bug 1270111 (see item #3 in comment 0).

Definitely worth filing a bug and resolving it.

Sorry Jens for not answering earlier.
Flags: needinfo?(jsnajdr) → needinfo?(hholmes)
(In reply to Jarda Snajdr [:jsnajdr] from comment #11)
> (In reply to Jens from comment #1)
> > Created attachment 8770502 [details]
> > JS_icon_hover_and_whole_column.png
> > 
> > Two small nits (see screenshot for better understanding):
> > 
> > 1. Concerning that the mouse cursor should not be "pointer" (hand) when
> > hovering: I understand that it probably makes sense to visualize to the user
> > that something is happening when hovering. Maybe the "JS" icon could just
> > get another background color to emphasize this. Same like when hovering
> > other elements like the "Hamburger" menu or the (i) in the https address bar.
> 
> The elements in the address bar (security icon and others) don't display
> anything on hover, but are clickable. Changing the color on hover provides
> an affordance that the element is active and can be clicked.
> 
> The JS stacktrace is displayed on hover, not on click, however.
> 
> I agree it would be useful to provide some visual clue that you can get
> additional information by hovering over the image thumbnail or the JS icon.
> But that clue should be visible even before the hovering. But I don't know
> how to do it. Maybe Helen has some idea?
> 
> If we agree to do something about it, let's file a separate bug, although I
> think it's not terribly important.
I think I agree with you Jarda—nothing immediately comes to mind how to make this more obvious, and because they appear on hover, I'm not sure it's an issue as people will see them. 

Highlighting the background color of the [JS] square might all the same be a nice touch, if only to give more visual feedback that that's the row you're looking at the stack trace for.
Flags: needinfo?(hholmes)
See Also: → 1290868
I have reproduced this bug with Nightly 50.0a1(2016-07-11) on Windows 10, 64 bit!

The Bug's fix is now verified on Aurora 50.0a2.

Build ID 	20160803004014
User Agent 	Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

[bugday-20160803]
I have reproduced this bug on Nightly 50.0a1(2016-07-11) (Build ID: 20160711034039) on Linux, 64 bit!

The bug's fix is now verified on Latest Nightly 51.0a1!

Build ID: 20160803030226
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:51.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/51.0
OS: Ubuntu 16.04, Linux 4.4.0-31-generic

As this bug’s fix is also verified on Windows 10, 64 bit(comment 13), I am marking this as verified!
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
QA Whiteboard: [bugday-20160803]
Product: Firefox → DevTools
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.