Missing string for venetan language

RESOLVED INVALID

Status

Mozilla Localizations
it / Italian
RESOLVED INVALID
2 years ago
2 years ago

People

(Reporter: Andy McKay, Assigned: Mozilla Localizers (Italian))

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

2 years ago
Copied over from:

https://github.com/mozilla/addons/issues/157

In the list at page https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/language-tools/ , in the language column, the voice "Venetan dictionary (vec)" should be "Venetan" and "Vèneto". Same goes for the italian version ( https://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefox/language-tools/ ) that displays "Diŧionario de lengua vèneta - Dizionario di veneto (vec)" instead of "Venetan" and "Vèneto".
Thank you.
I don't see any Venetan or vec anywhere in
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/language-tools/
or
https://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefox/language-tools/

Having said that, since the bug is reported for en-US, is definitely not something that the Italian team can fix.

I see an add-on, and the title is "Diŧionario de lengua vèneta - Dizionario di veneto" ("Venetan dictionary" for en-US), and that's exactly what the install.rdf of the add-on has.

<em:localized>
    <Description>
        <em:locale>vec</em:locale>
        <em:name>Diŧionario de lengua vèneta</em:name>
        <em:description>Diŧionario de lengua vèneta doparando la grafía de Màuro Trevixan (2016-07-06).</em:description>
    </Description>
    <Description>
        <em:locale>it</em:locale>
        <em:name>Dizionario di lingua veneta</em:name>
        <em:description>Dizionario di lingua veneta usando la grafia di Mauro Trevisan (2016-07-06).</em:description>
    </Description>
    <Description>
        <em:locale>en</em:locale>
        <em:name>Venetan dictionary</em:name>
        <em:description>Venetan dicionary using the spelling of Mauro Trevisan (2016-07-06).</em:description>
    </Description>
</em:localized>
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 2 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
Correction: 

<em:name>Diŧionario de lengua vèneta - Dizionario di lingua veneta</em:name>
		
No clue why en shows localized version, and it the name, but in case that's an AMO bug.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/dithionario-de-lengua-v%C3%A8neta/
https://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefox/addon/dithionario-de-lengua-v%C3%A8neta/

Comment 3

2 years ago
(In reply to Francesco Lodolo [:flod] from comment #1)
> I don't see any Venetan or vec anywhere in
> https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/language-tools/
> or
> https://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefox/language-tools/

They're towards the end of the list.

> Having said that, since the bug is reported for en-US, is definitely not
> something that the Italian team can fix.

In the description of the problem I explicitly referred to the italian page also.

> I see an add-on, and the title is "Diŧionario de lengua vèneta - Dizionario
> di veneto" ("Venetan dictionary" for en-US), and that's exactly what the
> install.rdf of the add-on has.
> 
> <em:localized>
>     <Description>
>         <em:locale>vec</em:locale>
>         <em:name>Diŧionario de lengua vèneta</em:name>
>         <em:description>Diŧionario de lengua vèneta doparando la grafía de
> Màuro Trevixan (2016-07-06).</em:description>
>     </Description>
>     <Description>
>         <em:locale>it</em:locale>
>         <em:name>Dizionario di lingua veneta</em:name>
>         <em:description>Dizionario di lingua veneta usando la grafia di
> Mauro Trevisan (2016-07-06).</em:description>
>     </Description>
>     <Description>
>         <em:locale>en</em:locale>
>         <em:name>Venetan dictionary</em:name>
>         <em:description>Venetan dicionary using the spelling of Mauro
> Trevisan (2016-07-06).</em:description>
>     </Description>
> </em:localized>

If that's the problem, why is not showed the venetan language in venetan language? ("Vèneto").
I am missing something in my install.rdf?

Jorge Villalobos said to me "The website is probably missing the Vèneto string, which is why it's
just using the name of the dictionary add-on. I suggest you file a bug
report: https://github.com/mozilla/addons/issues/new".

Comment 4

2 years ago
I'll try changing the <em:name> parts.
(In reply to tacchan666 from comment #3)
> (In reply to Francesco Lodolo [:flod] from comment #1)
> > I don't see any Venetan or vec anywhere in
> > https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/language-tools/
> > or
> > https://addons.mozilla.org/it/firefox/language-tools/
> 
> They're towards the end of the list.

Out of curiosity, can you make a screenshot? Because I'm searching for 'vec' or 'venet' in the page and there's nothing. I even tried with release instead of nightly, in case there's some version check, or adding vec to my intl.accept_languages.

> If that's the problem, why is not showed the venetan language in venetan
> language? ("Vèneto").
> I am missing something in my install.rdf?

Not sure I'm understanding the question, but the website is not localized in vec, so you get the website localized in the next locale in your list of accepted languages (Italian?), and you get the name for that locale. Or at least that's what I would expect from the system.

> Jorge Villalobos said to me "The website is probably missing the Vèneto
> string, which is why it's
> just using the name of the dictionary add-on. I suggest you file a bug
> report: https://github.com/mozilla/addons/issues/new".

As said, this bug is filed against the Italian localization and assigned to it, but there's nothing we can fix.
If AMO is picking up the wrong name (and I don't think it is), it's an AMO bug.

Comment 6

2 years ago
(In reply to Francesco Lodolo [:flod] from comment #5)
> Out of curiosity, can you make a screenshot?

Today they disappeared...

> [...] the website is not localized in
> vec, so you get the website localized in the next locale in your list of
> accepted languages (Italian?), and you get the name for that locale. Or at
> least that's what I would expect from the system.

That seemed to confirm your thoughts. In fact the strings matches the one written in the install.rdf file. I'll try changing them and see what happens.

The fact the languages disappeared from the list leaves me speechless.

Comment 7

2 years ago
I'll try having a look at the abanian and asturian dictionaries and none of them have the strings "Albanian Shqip" nor "Asturian Asturianu" in their install.rdf. So I wonder where they're picking that. If it's not the file then it must be something in the page I think.

Comment 8

2 years ago
And there's languages with multiple dictionaries: if their language are written in the file which one should I choose? That makes no sense to me.
Albanian dictionary, displayed name: "Albanian Dictionary"
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/albanian-dictionary/

From Albanian dictionary install.rdf
<em:name>Albanian Dictionary</em:name>

The language names displayed in 
https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/language-tools/

Are probably taken from a library.

Feel free to verify that with the AMO team, also why the language disappeared (it was never there for me), but this bug is not the right place to do it (we're spamming the entire localization team).

Comment 10

2 years ago
> but this bug is not the right place
> to do it (we're spamming the entire localization team).

Sorry for that, and thank you for your support.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.