Nightly often shows severely scrambled display on HP ProBook 470 G3

UNCONFIRMED
Unassigned

Status

()

P3
normal
UNCONFIRMED
2 years ago
a year ago

People

(Reporter: filippo.mannino, Unassigned)

Tracking

Trunk
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Whiteboard: [gfx-noted])

Attachments

(8 attachments)

(Reporter)

Description

2 years ago
Created attachment 8770425 [details]
Immagine.png

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 /
Build ID: 20160712030234

Steps to reproduce:

No steps.
It happens randomly but it's a frequent problem.


Actual results:

Entire window (UI + content) shows strange boxes (see attachment).
(Reporter)

Comment 1

2 years ago
Created attachment 8770427 [details]
About-Support content.txt

This is the "About:support" page content, in case you need it.
(Reporter)

Comment 2

2 years ago
Firefox is the only program on my PC that shows this kind of problem.
Other applications work correctly, so I think this problem is specific to Firefox.
The problem shows frequently, the only way to make these glitch to disappear is trying to resize the window, but sometime it causes the boxes to chabge in shape and positions.
(Reporter)

Comment 3

2 years ago
Created attachment 8770430 [details]
Immagine 2.png

Window resized, glitches moved.

Updated

2 years ago
Component: Untriaged → Graphics
Product: Firefox → Core

Comment 4

2 years ago
(In reply to Filippo from comment #2)
> Firefox is the only program on my PC that shows this kind of problem.
> Other applications work correctly, so I think this problem is specific to
> Firefox.
> The problem shows frequently, the only way to make these glitch to disappear
> is trying to resize the window, but sometime it causes the boxes to chabge
> in shape and positions.

It's an issue about drivers and HWA probably. Can you update your drivers to their latest versions?
(Reporter)

Comment 5

2 years ago
(In reply to Loic from comment #4)
> (In reply to Filippo from comment #2)
> > Firefox is the only program on my PC that shows this kind of problem.
> > Other applications work correctly, so I think this problem is specific to
> > Firefox.
> > The problem shows frequently, the only way to make these glitch to disappear
> > is trying to resize the window, but sometime it causes the boxes to chabge
> > in shape and positions.
> 
> It's an issue about drivers and HWA probably. Can you update your drivers to
> their latest versions?

My drivers are already updated. And, remember, Nightly is the only one program that shows this strange behaviour.
All the other programs on my PC (I'm a software developer and I have installed a lot of software on my PC) work correctly.

Comment 6

2 years ago
(In reply to Filippo from comment #5)
> Nightly is the only one
> program that shows this strange behaviour.

So, Firefox 47 does not show such strange behaviour, correct?

- - - - - - 

Does the strange behaviour(s) still happen in Firefox 50 if you disable Hardware Acceleration? ( about:preferences#advanced ) Filippo, Can you try enabled support and disabled support and report back your findings please.

Do you have multi-process mode enabled when the strange behaviour(s) happen? ( about:preferences ) Can you try enabled support and disabled support and report back your findings please.

regards, Gérard

Updated

2 years ago
Summary: Nightly often shows severe rendering problems on my HP ProBook 470 G3 → Nightly often shows severely scrambled display on HP ProBook 470 G3
(Reporter)

Comment 7

2 years ago
(In reply to Gérard Talbot from comment #6)
> (In reply to Filippo from comment #5)
> > Nightly is the only one
> > program that shows this strange behaviour.
> 
> So, Firefox 47 does not show such strange behaviour, correct?
> 
> - - - - - - 
> 
> Does the strange behaviour(s) still happen in Firefox 50 if you disable
> Hardware Acceleration? ( about:preferences#advanced ) Filippo, Can you try
> enabled support and disabled support and report back your findings please.
> 
> Do you have multi-process mode enabled when the strange behaviour(s) happen?
> ( about:preferences ) Can you try enabled support and disabled support and
> report back your findings please.
> 
> regards, Gérard

I was referring tho other software than Nightly.
I don't have Firefox installed, because I use always Nightly builds (also on my Android phone).
Now I will test Nightly without multi-process (sigh!), and I will report back my finding.
It will take some time, because the problem doesn't show sistematically (while I'm writing this note, I don't see any glitch).
(Reporter)

Comment 8

2 years ago
OK, I've seen glitches also with multi-process disabled.
(Reporter)

Comment 9

2 years ago
Created attachment 8770872 [details]
Radeon Settings.png

I don't know if it can help, but this notebook has two graphic card: an ATI Radeon and an Intel HD Graphics 520.
As you can see in this image, it seems that the ATI Radeon software is disabled for Firefox/Nightly because of some compatibility problem.
(Reporter)

Comment 10

2 years ago
Created attachment 8770875 [details]
Intel settings.png

Comment 11

2 years ago
Filippo,

Just like Loic, I am enclined to think that the source of your display problem is related to your driver or your graphic card.
Filippo, do you still see glitches if you go to about:config, and set layers.acceleration.disabled to true?
Flags: needinfo?(filippo.mannino)
Whiteboard: [gfx-noted]
(Reporter)

Comment 13

2 years ago
(In reply to Gérard Talbot from comment #11)
> Filippo,
> 
> Just like Loic, I am enclined to think that the source of your display
> problem is related to your driver or your graphic card.

If it was only a driver problem, I would expect that other applications sometime showed glitches.
But that's not the case. I have problems only with Nightly.
And keep in mind that my notebook is a stock HP Probook, so I expect that all people with this model (or equivalent hardware) could have my same problems.
(Reporter)

Comment 14

2 years ago
Now I'm testing with layers.acceleration.disabled set to true.
I will report in the next hours/days.
(Reporter)

Comment 15

2 years ago
(In reply to David Anderson [:dvander] from comment #12)
> Filippo, do you still see glitches if you go to about:config, and set
> layers.acceleration.disabled to true?

With layers.acceleration.disabled set to true, I didn't see any glitch in the last two days.
Flags: needinfo?(filippo.mannino)
(Reporter)

Comment 16

2 years ago
Yesterday, I've updated my notebook to Windows 10 Anniversary Update. The update restored a Microsoft driver for the Radeon graphics card.
Today I've tried to set layers.acceleration.disabled again to false and glitches came back immediately.
Then, I've installed the latest AMD driver, and glitches are still present.
This means that we have two different drivers (one from Microsoft, one from AMD) with the same problem.
Are we sure that is only a driver problem?
(Reporter)

Comment 17

2 years ago
Created attachment 8778176 [details]
Windows driver after installing Anniversary update

This is the driver version after installing Anniversary update.
It shows glitches.
(Reporter)

Comment 18

2 years ago
Created attachment 8778177 [details]
AMD driver, installed afer updating to Anniversary Update

This is the AMD driver installed after Anniversary update.
It shows also glitches.
(Reporter)

Comment 19

2 years ago
Created attachment 8778178 [details]
Screenshot aug 8, 2016.png

Glitches while I'm writing a new comment to this bug.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.