I updated mozilla to 0.99 from RedHat rawhide on a RedHat 7.2 system. Mozilla was working well before. Mozilla failed to start. I tried as a user and as root. The following processes are found even though mozilla fails to start: bgsmith 24801 26.0 2.5 28340 13064 ? S 10:34 0:00 /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin bgsmith 24853 0.0 0.0 0 0 ? Z 10:34 0:00 [mozilla-bin <defunct>] bgsmith 24854 0.0 2.5 28340 13064 ? S 10:34 0:00 /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin bgsmith 24855 0.0 2.5 28340 13064 ? S 10:34 0:00 /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin bgsmith 24856 0.0 2.5 28340 13064 ? S 10:34 0:00 /usr/lib/mozilla/mozilla-bin This has been a problem with every version of mozilla after 0.95. I have tried them all. Sometimes the version in Rawhide will function. Sometimes nightly builds will function, but none of the formal releases (0.96, 0.97, 0.98, 0.99) work on this system. I can reinstall 0.95 from rpms to regain a functional mozilla. I experimented early on and found that if I eliminated .mozilla then mozilla would start. But then I loose all bookmarks (not a good thing). If I add the saved bookmark file, mozilla will once again fail.
can you export the bookmarks (with a recent nightly build that works) and then import them into a clean profile?
I have mozilla-2002031609_trunk-0_rh7 currently installed. I moved .mozilla to .moz and tried to start mozilla. Five processes were created but mozilla did not display. Basically the same as above, except that the second process never gets labelled as defunct.
You mean that it works without your bookmakrs file ?
Reporter (Brad Smith), please can you check to see whether this bug is still present in a recent build (Moz1-RC1 or a new nightly build). If this bug does not occur please can you resolve it worksforme.
I downloaded the rc1 rpms and installed them. Mozilla fails to start. It leaves 5 processes which I have to kill manually (kill -9). Netscape 6.2.2 for linux works well on this system. I also tried the latest rpms from RedHat rawhide. Same problem.
If only a single user is seeing this issue, it is more likely a problem with his system than with Mozilla. Unless we see other suers reporting the same, this has to be marked WORKSFORME, since it's apparently irreproducible without copying Brad's entire system.
Addendum. I finally found that the plugin directory for mozilla had Java plugins from both Sun and IBM. I do a lot of Java development and use both JVMs for testing and development. At somepoint links to both plugins were created in the plugin directory. I removed the link to the IBM plugin and mozilla resumed normal operation. I hope this follow-up post is useful for someone else with the same problem. Brad Smith