52.0b3 deleted email not marked read, not closed

RESOLVED FIXED in Thunderbird 54.0

Status

defect
--
major
RESOLVED FIXED
2 years ago
2 years ago

People

(Reporter: dmccammishjr, Unassigned)

Tracking

({regression})

Thunderbird 54.0
x86_64
Windows 10
Dependency tree / graph

Thunderbird Tracking Flags

(thunderbird52+ fixed, thunderbird53 fixed, thunderbird54 fixed)

Details

Reporter

Description

2 years ago
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/56.0.2924.87 Safari/537.36

Steps to reproduce:

52.0b3 (32 bit) SMTP POP, Windows 10 current update, 64 bit.  Opened Inbox mail, read, tried to delete.  


Actual results:

Window (not tab) stayed open.  Previously read mail in Inbox (window behind mail window) being deleted.  So, TBird "thinks" mail window closed and is deleting the next/last email in the Pop list.  


Expected results:

Mail window should have closed, mail marked deleted and moved to trash.  If more mail, next in list should be opened.
Reporter

Comment 1

2 years ago
More testing. Seems related to windowing. First window ok. 2nd window doesn't close. F (next mail)should close current window and open next mail in new window. Had to reboot Windows (Ctrl-Alt-Del) after active window became lost. Mouse movement, but no "focus."  All this seemed to start with new beta download this am.  2/17/17
Severity: normal → major
OS: Unspecified → Windows 10
Hardware: Unspecified → x86_64
Reporter

Comment 2

2 years ago
More observations. Some operations that should close or open a window such as F (next mail) or delete do not. If mail A is open from Inbox, Delete will not close the window, but will move it to Trash. A second Delete will move the next Inbox mail B to the Trash folder without marking it read, etc.  However, double-clicking on an Inbox item will open it and "X-ing" the open window will close it. The result is that the only way to work through the Inbox is to individually open and close each piece of mail.

Comment 3

2 years ago
So you have
  Tools > Options, Display, Advanced
  Open messages in: A new message window
set?

When I do that on Windows 7 with TB 52 beta 3 and open a mail I get a new window and pressing F or B into that window will show the next or previous message. F and B should *not* close the e-mail window.

However, clicking the delete button on the separate message window does delete the message from its folder but it doesn't move the window content to the next message as it should.

Confirmed *not* working in TB 52 beta 3 and current trunk, working in TB 45.7 and TB 52 beta 2.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → NEW
Ever confirmed: true

Comment 4

2 years ago
Regressed by bug 1334874:

Changes in mailnews/base/util/jsTreeSelection.js most likely here for the stand-alone message window:
https://hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/rev/27e021adf35e5b68d36a1ff9d2122070e8a6bebe#l1.10

Backing that out brings the original behaviour back.

Kent, Aleth, this is your baby, any hints?
Blocks: 1334874
Flags: needinfo?(rkent)
Flags: needinfo?(aleth)
Keywords: regression
Reporter

Comment 5

2 years ago
(In reply to Jorg K (GMT+1) from comment #3)
> So you have
>   Tools > Options, Display, Advanced
>   Open messages in: A new message window
> set?
> 
> When I do that on Windows 7 with TB 52 beta 3 and open a mail I get a new
> window and pressing F or B into that window will show the next or previous
> message. F and B should *not* close the e-mail window.
> 
> However, clicking the delete button on the separate message window does
> delete the message from its folder but it doesn't move the window content to
> the next message as it should.
> 
> Confirmed *not* working in TB 52 beta 3 and current trunk, working in TB
> 45.7 and TB 52 beta 2.

Correct on the (In reply to Jorg K (GMT+1) from comment #3)
> So you have
>   Tools > Options, Display, Advanced
>   Open messages in: A new message window
> set?
> 
> When I do that on Windows 7 with TB 52 beta 3 and open a mail I get a new
> window and pressing F or B into that window will show the next or previous
> message. F and B should *not* close the e-mail window.
> 
> However, clicking the delete button on the separate message window does
> delete the message from its folder but it doesn't move the window content to
> the next message as it should.
> 
> Confirmed *not* working in TB 52 beta 3 and current trunk, working in TB
> 45.7 and TB 52 beta 2.

Correct on the "Open Messages in: A new message window."   Also correct about not replacing window content (versus closing window and re-opening).
Reporter

Comment 6

2 years ago
(In reply to doug2 from comment #5)
> (In reply to Jorg K (GMT+1) from comment #3)
> > So you have
> >   Tools > Options, Display, Advanced
> >   Open messages in: A new message window
> > set?
> > 
> > When I do that on Windows 7 with TB 52 beta 3 and open a mail I get a new
> > window and pressing F or B into that window will show the next or previous
> > message. F and B should *not* close the e-mail window.
> > 
> > However, clicking the delete button on the separate message window does
> > delete the message from its folder but it doesn't move the window content to
> > the next message as it should.
> > 
> > Confirmed *not* working in TB 52 beta 3 and current trunk, working in TB
> > 45.7 and TB 52 beta 2.
> 
> Correct on the (In reply to Jorg K (GMT+1) from comment #3)
> > So you have
> >   Tools > Options, Display, Advanced
> >   Open messages in: A new message window
> > set?
> > 
> > When I do that on Windows 7 with TB 52 beta 3 and open a mail I get a new
> > window and pressing F or B into that window will show the next or previous
> > message. F and B should *not* close the e-mail window.
> > 
> > However, clicking the delete button on the separate message window does
> > delete the message from its folder but it doesn't move the window content to
> > the next message as it should.
> > 
> > Confirmed *not* working in TB 52 beta 3 and current trunk, working in TB
> > 45.7 and TB 52 beta 2.
> 
> Correct on the "Open Messages in: A new message window."   Also correct
> about not replacing window content (versus closing window and re-opening).

Note also that 2nd Delete moves the next content to Trash (without marking Read) but does not change what is displayed in the message window.

Comment 7

2 years ago
We know it's broken. It will be fixed in TB 52 beta 4 and the official release in March 2017. If it annoys you, please go back to beta 2: http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/releases/52.0b2/win32/
(and disable automatic updates).

It's beta software, so there might be a bug or two ;-) Thanks for reporting it, we'll take it from here.

Updated

2 years ago
Blocks: TB52found
Reporter

Comment 8

2 years ago
(In reply to doug2 from comment #0)
> User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36
> (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/56.0.2924.87 Safari/537.36
> 
> Steps to reproduce:
> 
> 52.0b3 (32 bit) SMTP POP, Windows 10 current update, 64 bit.  Opened Inbox
> mail, read, tried to delete.  
> 
> 
> Actual results:
> 
> Window (not tab) stayed open.  Previously read mail in Inbox (window behind
> mail window) being deleted.  So, TBird "thinks" mail window closed and is
> deleting the next/last email in the Pop list.  
> 
> 
> Expected results:
> 
> Mail window should have closed, mail marked deleted and moved to trash.  If
> more mail, next in list should be opened.

Original description based on erroneous understanding of TBird message display. Message window contents are replaced by next message with Delete or (F) next message, etc. but this was not happening. Subsequent Deletes caused next message to be moved to Trash without being viewed and were not marked read.

Comment 9

2 years ago
Fixed by backing out the offending changeset from bug 1334874 (bug 1334874 comment #130, bug 1334874 comment #131). Verified in Daily of today.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 2 years ago
Flags: needinfo?(rkent)
Flags: needinfo?(aleth)
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → Thunderbird 54.0

Updated

2 years ago
Component: Untriaged → Database
Product: Thunderbird → MailNews Core
Version: 52 Branch → 52
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.