A tab sent from my iPhone sometime takes 2 days to arrive to my desktop Firefox

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 1342679

Status

()

Firefox
Sync
RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 1342679
a year ago
a year ago

People

(Reporter: mayhemer, Unassigned)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Nightly (last time I tested was with a 2 weeks old version), win10, an old sync profile bound also to Fx on my iphone (current release, 6.1 (1)).

When I send a tab to my desktop Firefox the tab sometimes arrive instantly, but often it takes DAYS to appear.  This is not just a functionality issue but may also be a privacy issue as I never know when the tab pops on the screen (in background, but still with the title very well visible in bold).

Sending the same tab multiple times doesn't help.  But when they eventually arrive to my desktop, they arrive all.

Pressing the "sync" button on desktop (the one in the hamburger menu side to the sync email that spins when pressed) doesn't help.  Restarts of the desktop Firefox don't help.

I unfortunately don't have more data.  iPhone has zero logging or error reporting, and I didn't take a look into the browser console unfortunately (but why should I - from POV of a common user?).  It's highly unlikely this would be a network connectivity problem (both devices in the same net with uninterrupted internet access at the time).  

I'm also not sure where the problem is, if it's on the sending side (not likely, IMO) or the sync servers or the desktop part.
If you pressed the Sync button and didn't receive the tab, it is most likely an iOS problem.
Note: iOS doesn't use Push to notify other devices that a new tab has been sent and they should be syncing
I wonder if this could have been caused by the same timestamp-handling issues underlying Bug 1342679.  IIRC sent tabs go via the "clients" collection, and the "clients" collection is in memcached.  So perhaps the receiving client was not seeing the write to the "clients" collection until it e.g. restarted.
(In reply to Ryan Kelly [:rfkelly] from comment #2)
> I wonder if this could have been caused by the same timestamp-handling
> issues underlying Bug 1342679.  IIRC sent tabs go via the "clients"
> collection, and the "clients" collection is in memcached.  So perhaps the
> receiving client was not seeing the write to the "clients" collection until
> it e.g. restarted.

Yep, I agree that's the likely cause - and if so, should be fixed now.
I think bug 1345826 might be related, pointing at a problem on the target (desktop) side.  I'll provide the info required there soon.
See Also: → bug 1345826
Please reopen if you still have this issue.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: a year ago
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Duplicate of bug: 1342679
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.