Closed Bug 1354710 Opened 5 years ago Closed 5 years ago

first run pages need to pass tracking parameters to FxA

Categories

(www.mozilla.org :: Bedrock, enhancement)

Development/Staging
enhancement
Not set
normal

Tracking

(Not tracked)

RESOLVED FIXED

People

(Reporter: nyee, Assigned: agibson)

References

Details

Attachments

(1 file)

44 bytes, text/x-github-pull-request
Details | Review
the first run pages need to pass tracking parameters to FxA on a different way. 

Currently you are passing funnel cake versions via entrypoint. For the time being until we have designated parameters for this, utm_source would be best.

Entrypoint is used by engineering to customize the flow so it could have negative repercussions. 

There are 2 ways to make this change:
1) in the first run pages. If you have different first run pages per funnel cake, you can specify the right parameters in the page
2) In a less clean manner, we could change the FxA iframe parameters with optimizely based the url of the first run pages that has funnel cake numbers. While this works, it's a bit hacky and would require an optimizely test for each funnel cake iiuc.
Blocks: 1348127
Have we made any progress here ?
Flags: needinfo?(nyee)
(In reply to Nicole Yee (:nicoleyee) from comment #0)
> There are 2 ways to make this change:
> 1) in the first run pages. If you have different first run pages per funnel
> cake, you can specify the right parameters in the page
> 2) In a less clean manner, we could change the FxA iframe parameters with
> optimizely based the url of the first run pages that has funnel cake
> numbers. While this works, it's a bit hacky and would require an optimizely
> test for each funnel cake iiuc.

I'm not sure if you're asking for funnelcake Firefox to load a different url, or for www.mozilla.org to behave differently when that page is loaded, or both. Could you clarify ?

If I take a typical url
  https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/53.0/firstrun/?f=111
and append &utm_source=testing123 then that issn't included in the request to accounts.firefox.com.
Flags: needinfo?(adavis)
(In reply to Nick Thomas (PTO 14-25 April, UTC+12) [:nthomas] from comment #1)
> Have we made any progress here ?

Hey Cmore, how do you think we should proceed with this? 
We'd like to start building funnelcakes by Monday.
Flags: needinfo?(nyee) → needinfo?(chrismore.bugzilla)
Eric/Alex, for our upcoming funnelcakes: 110/111/112/113 (https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1348127), we need to pass tracking parameters to FxA using utm_source.

Our Control (110) uses the existing Almost Done page on moz.org.
The variants use the same FxA sign in page from FC 99 (https://accounts.firefox.com/signin?utm_campaign=fxa-embedded-form&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=firstrun&utm_content=fx-51.0&entrypoint=firstrunwow99&service=sync&context=fx_firstrun_v2&style=chromeless&haltAfterSignIn=true&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mozilla.org), but we'd like the utm_source to use something for firstrun110/firstrun111/firstrun112/firstrun113.

cmore said: "it will be a pseudo condition on the page like if url.parameter("f").exists then iframe.append("utm_source").url.f (f is the funnelcake id)".

Can you help get this in place (in short order) for both the Almost Done page and the variant one?
Flags: needinfo?(erenaud)
Flags: needinfo?(chrismore.bugzilla)
Flags: needinfo?(agibson)
Just confirming that this looks good to me. pdol: is spot on with the change of the iframe url.
Flags: needinfo?(adavis)
Small correction, please do not change the entrypoint. This should remain firstrun (without anything appended to it).

The goal of using utm_source is to not touch the entrypoint.

Thanks
Trying to re-state the requirements:

If a visitor lands on a firstrun URL with a querystring parameter "f" equal to 110, 111, 112, or 113, change the value of "utm_source" in the FxA iframe URL from "firstrun" to the value of the "f" querystring parameter.

Is that correct?
Ok, so this is a www.mozilla.org change, guessing bedrock component.
Component: General → Bedrock
Product: Firefox → www.mozilla.org
Version: 54 Branch → Development/Staging
jpetto: Correct.

An example could be: utm_source="firstrun_f110"
Assignee: nobody → agibson
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Flags: needinfo?(agibson)
Attached file GitHub pull request
:adavis - would it be useful to use this same logic for all (future) funnelcakes, or to only do this for 110/111/112/113?
Flags: needinfo?(adavis)
(In reply to Peter Dolanjski [:pdol] from comment #5)
> Our Control (110) uses the existing Almost Done page on moz.org.
> The variants use the same FxA sign in page from FC 99
> (https://accounts.firefox.com/signin?utm_campaign=fxa-embedded-
> form&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=firstrun&utm_content=fx-51.
> 0&entrypoint=firstrunwow99&service=sync&context=fx_firstrun_v2&style=chromele
> ss&haltAfterSignIn=true&origin=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mozilla.org), but we'd like
> the utm_source to use something for
> firstrun110/firstrun111/firstrun112/firstrun113.

I'm assuming here you mean the same FxA iframe UI, and not the same mozorg page used in the FC 99 experiment? That page will only show for FC 99 and FC 100.
Peter, can you confirm the only change required here is to update utm_source as per Comment 10? I'm slightly confused above here in Comment 13 as I can't quite tell if you're asking for anything else on the mozorg side here.
Flags: needinfo?(pdolanjski)
:agibson

Yes, if we can have the page always do this automatically for funnelcakes it would be incredible! One less thing to think of!
Flags: needinfo?(adavis)
(In reply to Alex Davis [:adavis] [PM FxA+Sync] from comment #15)
> :agibson
> 
> Yes, if we can have the page always do this automatically for funnelcakes it
> would be incredible! One less thing to think of!

Consider it done :) (actually less code for me to write, so yay)
Hi Peter,
The onBoarding overlay funnelcake will also embed firefox account iframe. Should we consider that as one of utm_source sources along with here?
Flags: needinfo?(erenaud)
Blocks: 1356473
No longer blocks: photon-onboarding
(In reply to Alex Gibson [:agibson] from comment #14)
> Peter, can you confirm the only change required here is to update utm_source
> as per Comment 10? I'm slightly confused above here in Comment 13 as I can't
> quite tell if you're asking for anything else on the mozorg side here.

Comment 10 is accurate.
Flags: needinfo?(pdolanjski)
Commits pushed to master at https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock

https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock/commit/b2601b0c19c3825683c0bbb7a2e62492026b648a
[fix bug 1354710] Firstrun pages need to pass funnelcake parameters to FxA

https://github.com/mozilla/bedrock/commit/6dc2798936eab0ba9f6d9931784ab422e769a833
Merge pull request #4767 from alexgibson/bug-1354710-firstrun-funnelcake-param

[fix bug 1354710] Firstrun pages need to pass funnelcake parameters to FxA
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 5 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.