downloading header 10 of 1 in <folder> - counts are wrong order

NEW
Unassigned

Status

MailNews Core
Networking: IMAP
--
enhancement
a year ago
a year ago

People

(Reporter: Magnus Melin, Unassigned)

Tracking

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

(Reporter)

Description

a year ago
+++ This bug was initially created as a clone of Bug #1348762 +++

On trunk I keep seeing "Downloading header 18 of 1 in <folder>". 
Seems the counts are the wrong order for some cases? Looking casually at the code, I didn't yet spot the problem.

https://hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/annotate/ca379f40ef826555e7da4988f56205a117f30542/mail/locales/en-US/chrome/messenger/imapMsgs.properties#l84

Comment 1

a year ago
Hmm, the message is assembled here:
https://hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/rev/8ac8055cd42c05612a26558e684b9aa763ff36c2#l4.295

+      PercentProgressUpdateEvent(progressString.get(), progressCurrentNumber,
+                                m_progressExpectedNumber);

So I don't see how that could be in the wrong order. The only thing I could think of is that the numbers don't get reset and the message should really read "1 of 1" instead of "18 of 1". Magnus, can you tell how many are really downloaded.

Gene, can you please take a look.
Flags: needinfo?(gds)
(Reporter)

Comment 2

a year ago
Yeah the variables look correct, but something is off. Sorry I don't have more details to provide atm. Will keep my eyes open.

Comment 3

a year ago
(In reply to Jorg K (GMT+2) from comment #1)
> 
> Gene, can you please take a look.

I did 100's of downloads of my fairly big imap mbox's and don't see this. I haven't had a chance to try the test again but I may have seen something similar but only when the server connection is lost and re-established during download; the number of messages is sometimes shown to be larger than the actual number to download, e.g. should be "55 of 2000" but says "55 of 4000". This is rare however.

In your case, are you seeing the 2nd number counting (i.e. they are backwards), e.g., 

10 of 1
10 of 2
10 of 3
:
10 of 10  ??

But should be;

1 of 10
2 of 10
3 of 10
:
10 of 10.  Also, I assume you are downloading imap? Are you seeing this, maybe, only on a specific mbox, e.g., INBOX?

Also, on a fast connection 18 emails will download quickly and you probably won't see all the counts. Is 18 a typical number that you download? Is this random or does it all the time? Are you using the English strings that I committed or has a translation been done that might have the placeholders reversed (just thought I'd ask, don't know how locale stuff really works).
Flags: needinfo?(gds)
(Reporter)

Comment 4

a year ago
Today it said "Downloading header 1632 of 8 in ......."

The folder has 1900 messages. It likely downloaded more than 8, but I don't know.

Comment 5

a year ago
I have pulled and updated to the latest/trunk tb and will check this after it all rebuilds. However, last time I checked this over a month ago it was OK.

Comment 6

a year ago
(In reply to gene smith from comment #5)
> I have pulled and updated to the latest/trunk tb and will check this after
> it all rebuilds. However, last time I checked this over a month ago it was
> OK.

Still OK for me with latest version. In my test profile I delete all the "folders" for each account, e.g., files inbox and inbox.msf. Then I restart tb and let them all download. I never see a reversal of the fields for any header or message downloaded for any mailbox.

I don't know exactly what you are doing when you see the reversal. I assume you are just bringing in new emails for the day? I usually don't receive enough emails in a day (or between starts of tb) to even notice the message counts at the bottom. So, on another computer, I copied about 25 messages from my gmail inbox to my normal account "spam" folder. When I clicked on that spam folder on the computer running hg latest (default branch) I see the correct downloading count fields 1...25 of 25 at the bottom, not reversed.

Comment 7

a year ago
(In reply to gene smith from comment #3)
> Are you using the English strings that I
> committed or has a translation been done that might have the placeholders
> reversed (just thought I'd ask, don't know how locale stuff really works).

This does not seem to be the problem, the string isn't yet translated in Finnish:
https://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/fi/file/tip/mail/chrome/messenger/imapMsgs.properties
(Reporter)

Comment 8

a year ago
Yes I'm using the en-US version. 
The problem is not easily reproducible. I think it's usually not the inbox but another folder, which can have new messages which were sometimes moved there earlier by Thunderbird on another machine.
(Reporter)

Comment 9

a year ago
Seems this most frequently happens when I run a filter on my mozilla folder to move some mails to a subfolder. After the filter has finished, the status bar says it's opening the subfolder, and then the downloading of headers, with wrong numbers.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.