Here is some email between myself and Heikki about this: We default to ISO-8859-1, I can't remember if I tried UTF-8... But since we are trying to emulate IE, I guess we should try to default to UTF-8. Could you file a bug with a testcase? I really need a testcase to be sure that we do what I *think* is happening. Greg White wrote: Hi Heikki, I ran into a something that is different in the xmlextras module than the microsoft version. I'll leave it up to you to call it a bug or not, but if it is intended behaviour, it is probably worth a line or two of documentation. In the absence of other information, Microsoft's widget assumes a default encoding of utf-8 when handing back responseText (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/xmlsdk/htm/xml_pro_pr_4vqs.asp). XML extras doesn't seem to from my tests (it might be assuming ascii, but I am not sure how to verify that). The workaround is to set up the server to always set the charset in the content-type header and both IE and Mozilla worked with that for me. - Greg I will attach a testcase to this once it is submitted. I know that I am using an older mozilla, the nightly I have crashes when I try to run this case. :(
Created attachment 79543 [details] testcase This testcase runs under both IE and mozilla. Demonstrates that mozilla is assuming a default encoding that is not utf-8.
Priority: -- → P2
Target Milestone: --- → mozilla1.0.1
Target Milestone: mozilla1.0.1 → mozilla1.2alpha
Comment on attachment 95447 [details] [diff] [review] fix r/sr=bzbarsky
Attachment #95447 - Flags: review+
Comment on attachment 95447 [details] [diff] [review] fix sr=jst
Attachment #95447 - Flags: superreview+
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 17 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
verified fixed in trunk build 2003-01-14-08-trunk on win2k , with the test case at http://green.nscp.aoltw.net/heikki/137866/bug.htm marking verified
Status: RESOLVED → VERIFIED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.