Status

a year ago
a year ago

People

(Reporter: hello, Unassigned)

Tracking

Details

(Reporter)

Description

a year ago
We'll be launching inhumanads.com in the next few weeks, and need to set up analytics on it.

The current alpha version of the site is at https://inhuman.sandmill.org/. We'll use it for testing for the next few weeks, so if can get GA to work there too, that'd be great (for testing). Final production site will be at inhumanads.com.

Let me know about next steps or other requirements. Thanks!
Hey Dan,

Here is the GA Snippet for inhumanads.com. Please place the snippet within the <head>.

<script>
  (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
  (i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
  m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
  })(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

  ga('create', 'UA-35433268-84', 'auto');
  ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>


Couple other questions

1. Who would you like to have access to this site?
2. Do you want event tracking on the site for specific interactions? If yes, i can help write these requirements for your devs to implement.
3. Do you need any reporting support?
Flags: needinfo?(thunder)
(Reporter)

Comment 2

a year ago
(In reply to Gareth Cull [:garethc] from comment #1)
> Hey Dan,
> 
> Here is the GA Snippet for inhumanads.com. Please place the snippet within
> the <head>.

Thanks! I've integrated the snippet into our alpha site (at https://inhuman.sandmill.org/).

As for your questions:

> 1. Who would you like to have access to this site?

Myself, Kirby, Nick Nguyen. Kirby, anyone else you'd like to add?

> 2. Do you want event tracking on the site for specific interactions? If yes,
> i can help write these requirements for your devs to implement.

Yes, we have at least a couple of actions we'd like to track. In all cases we have a JS function receiving the event, so it should be easy to call something in the GA library. What does that look like? Do we need to pre-define the events ahead of time, or are they freeform strings we can report?

> 3. Do you need any reporting support?

I think not at this time. We'll use the GA console, and if we need something more we'll reach out for help.

Oh one more thing: will data not be collected if the user has DNT enabled? Legal pointed out it was important not to—so just making sure that's how it works.

Thank you!
Flags: needinfo?(thunder)
(In reply to Dan Mills [:thunder] from comment #2)

> As for your questions:
> 
> > 1. Who would you like to have access to this site?
> 
> Myself, Kirby, Nick Nguyen. Kirby, anyone else you'd like to add?

GC: Done.

> 
> > 2. Do you want event tracking on the site for specific interactions? If yes,
> > i can help write these requirements for your devs to implement.
> 
> Yes, we have at least a couple of actions we'd like to track. In all cases
> we have a JS function receiving the event, so it should be easy to call
> something in the GA library. What does that look like? Do we need to
> pre-define the events ahead of time, or are they freeform strings we can
> report?
> 

I put together some GA Requirements outlining an event model that would be useful when conducting your analysis. Happy to walk you through this if you need to.

https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/document/d/1pzks6OPiap7aJbtDxC_fk0rGluWMqJ2Q9Fl__flTynA/edit?usp=sharing

> > 3. Do you need any reporting support?
> 
> I think not at this time. We'll use the GA console, and if we need something
> more we'll reach out for help.
> 
> Oh one more thing: will data not be collected if the user has DNT enabled?
> Legal pointed out it was important not to—so just making sure that's how it
> works.

Technical IDNT implementation:To be used when using Google Analytics with the Advertising Reporting Feature enabled or the flashtalking advertising pixel. This code should not be used when just using Google Analytics without any other 3rd party cross-site integration.

function WebAnalytics() {
 var _dntStatus = navigator.doNotTrack || navigator.msDoNotTrack;
 var fxMatch = navigator.userAgent.match(/Firefox\/(\d+)/);
 var ie10Match = navigator.userAgent.match(/MSIE 10/i);
 var w8Match = navigator.appVersion.match(/Windows NT 6.2/);
 if (fxMatch && Number(fxMatch[1]) < 32) {
     // Can't say for sure if it is 1 or 0, due to Fx bug 887703
    _dntStatus = 'Unspecified';
 } else if (ie10Match && w8Match) {
     // IE10 on Windows 8 does not Enable based on user intention
     _dntStatus = 'Unspecified';
 } else {
    _dntStatus = { '0': 'Disabled', '1': 'Enabled' }[_dntStatus] || 'Unspecified';
 }
 if (_dntStatus !== 'Enabled'){
     // Add tag (Google Analytics + Advertising Reporting Feature or Flashtalking)
 }
}
This code is used on www.mozilla.org.  Please see Bug#1209589 for an alternative implementation.

> Thank you!
(Reporter)

Comment 4

a year ago
(In reply to Gareth Cull [:garethc] from comment #3)

> > > 1. Who would you like to have access to this site?
> > 
> > Myself, Kirby, Nick Nguyen. Kirby, anyone else you'd like to add?
> 
> GC: Done.

Great - can I sign into the GA dashboard? If I visit analytics.google.com and switch users to my Mozilla account, I get a "sign up" screen.

> I put together some GA Requirements outlining an event model that would be
> useful when conducting your analysis. Happy to walk you through this if you
> need to.
> 
> https://docs.google.com/a/mozilla.com/document/d/
> 1pzks6OPiap7aJbtDxC_fk0rGluWMqJ2Q9Fl__flTynA/edit?usp=sharing

_amazing_ doc. Thank you! I'll go through it and implement the events.

> > Oh one more thing: will data not be collected if the user has DNT enabled?
> > Legal pointed out it was important not to—so just making sure that's how it
> > works.
> 
> Technical IDNT implementation:To be used when using Google Analytics with
> the Advertising Reporting Feature enabled or the flashtalking advertising
> pixel. This code should not be used when just using Google Analytics without
> any other 3rd party cross-site integration.

Interesting... why should it not be used when just using plain GA (as we are)? I can circle back with legal if this set-up is not recommended.

Thanks again!
I'd say there is no need to sync with legal. I'd recommend using the DNT wrapper that the www.mozilla.org team uses which will block GA for those users that have DNT enabled. This is the new standard and would like to apply the DNT wrapper on all of our web properties.
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.