Currently, extra spacing is being added around the text in <code> to make the background extend outward a bit. This causes problems for text like this: This is a combination of two compiled <code.WebGLShader</code>s consisting of... With this, you wind up with the "s" separated out from the word "WebShaders", so it looks more like "WebShader s". We need a solution for this, since we do this quite frequently. This will also be a problem when doing things like "<code>WebShader</code>'s properties let you control..." or "(when using a <code>WebShader</code>)", where you wind up with "WebShader 's" and "WebShader )". I just noticed that at least at the moment, these aren't rendering with the background so it's okay, but I see it in local Kuma where the background is still there at the moment pending an update, so I'm filing this in case it affects work being done.
Created attachment 8909412 [details] Example screenshot Here's an example screenshot that shows examples of the problem, including the plural "WebShaders", spacing inside parentheses, before apostrophes, etc.
The screenshot came from a page on my local instance of MDN. However, I've created this page that demonstrates several of the cases in which this issue comes up: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/User:Sheppy/Bug1399529
I've started a thread on Discourse to try to find a solution: https://discourse.mozilla.org/t/fixing-code-when-its-part-of-a-word/19554
Improved by https://github.com/mozilla/kuma/pull/4471 Not possible to fix 100% with the tools currently available to us.
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Last Resolved: 10 months ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.