Closed Bug 1403461 Opened 4 years ago Closed 2 years ago

Search module with diacritics in their name cannot be hidden

Categories

(Firefox :: Search, defect, P3)

57 Branch
defect
Points:
2

Tracking

()

RESOLVED FIXED
Firefox 74
Iteration:
73.2 - Dec 16 - Jan 5
Tracking Status
firefox-esr52 --- wontfix
firefox57 --- wontfix
firefox58 --- wontfix
firefox59 --- wontfix
firefox61 --- wontfix
firefox74 --- fixed

People

(Reporter: mstanke, Assigned: standard8)

References

Details

Attachments

(2 files)

Spotted on macOS Yosemite with 57.0b3.
Activity Stream 2017.09.22.1389-2ee94db4 activity-stream@mozilla.org

STR:
1. Launch Czech Firefox build with new profile.
2. Open about:preferences > Hledání.
3. Uncheck the Heuréka search engine.
4. Open about:newtab/about:home with activity stream.
5. Type something in search field on the page.
6. In the drop down Heuréka is still displayed.

I get this issue for Heuréka only, and only in the Activity Stream search, all other modules are hidden there as expected. In the address bar or dedicated search bar in the main UI, all modules including Heuréka are OK.

Maybe this is connected to diacritics, as Heuréka is the only module containing diacritics in the name?
Priority: -- → P3
Still broken in 2017.11.16.1254-39442ee8.

A workaround for Czech would be to change the name of the module, as I have realized today they have actually changed the name to Heureka.cz (without diacritics). Other modules for different locales may still be affected. Should I rename the module now and hope it will fix the issue, or keep the name so it is still reproducible?
Flags: needinfo?(tspurway)
Thanks for all the work on this, Michal.

I am going to pass the NI on to Ed.  Ed, do you think this could affect other locales and is renaming the module the best way to fix this?
Flags: needinfo?(tspurway) → needinfo?(edilee)
I tested this in esr 52 "cs" build without activity stream, and it also has the same problem.

https://download.mozilla.org/?product=firefox-esr-latest-ssl&os=osx&lang=cs
Flags: needinfo?(edilee)
The bug probably has been around for a while, so if other locales are hitting it, there might be a dupe Search bug. From some initial testing, there weren't errors in the content page, and it continued to persist after restart, so probably something on the main/jsm(?) side?
Component: Activity Streams: Newtab → Search
I came to this bug again today and verified it happens with any (even custom installed) search module that has diacritics in its name. E.g. Czech AMO search module.

It does not affect the address bar, just the Activity Stream search field.
Summary: Czech search module Heureka cannot be hidden → Search module with diacritics in their name cannot be hidden
Assignee: nobody → standard8
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Iteration: --- → 73.2 - Dec 16 - Jan 5
Points: --- → 2
Pushed by mbanner@mozilla.com:
https://hg.mozilla.org/integration/autoland/rev/2d09675c812f
Fix hiding one-off search engines on the new tab page when they have non-ascii characters in their name. r=daleharvey
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 2 years ago
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Target Milestone: --- → Firefox 74
Duplicate of this bug: 1595659
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.