Add Persian language (fa) to Thunderbird nightly build

RESOLVED FIXED in Thunderbird 60.0

Status

defect
RESOLVED FIXED
2 years ago
Last year

People

(Reporter: amir_farsi, Assigned: Fallen)

Tracking

(Blocks 1 bug)

unspecified
Thunderbird 60.0
Dependency tree / graph

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Attachments

(1 attachment, 1 obsolete attachment)

User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:59.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/59.0
Build ID: 20171229100308

Steps to reproduce:

We translated 69% of thunderbird in Persian L10n team. We want to test it in real environment, and finally, publish Persian version of Thunderbird for first time.


Actual results:

Persian isn't in thunderbird nightly build yet.


Expected results:

Please add Persian language to thunderbird nightly build and make the road ready to publishing Persian version of Thunbderbird offically for fist time.
Hi Amir, thanks so much for working on the Thunderbird localization, I'm excited we will soon have Persian as a locale in Thunderbird! I'll check this out in the next few days and get those nightly builds running.
Assignee: nobody → philipp
Status: NEW → ASSIGNED
Flags: needinfo?(philipp)
Similar to bug 1403064 where we added Malay: https://hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/rev/174ec1721bab

What's the Persian abbreviation and which search engines do you want, please refer to the changeset mentioned above. And is this for Thunderbird or SeaMonkey as well?
That would be "fa". As for search engines and other region properties, this is the file that we will be changing:

https://dxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mail/locales/en-US/chrome/messenger-region/region.properties

You have the opportunity to change the tld for the URLs, and add local search engines to the list (for comparison, Yandex is often used in Russia but is not in the default list). If you prefer to keep the settings as they are, that is fine too.

Let me know what you prefer and I'll get that set up for you.
Flags: needinfo?(philipp) → needinfo?(amir_farsi)
Hi there.
For search engines we need:
1-Google (Persian Version of google).
Note: We haven't diffrent tld of it for Persian language. It's google.com. But we need language of it as persian. I'm not sure if www.google.com/fa?q= will show Persian(Farsi) ui of Google?
2-Bing.com (It haven't persian version and it should be english version of Bing)
3-Yahoo.com (It haven't persian version and it should be english version of Yahoo)
3-Facebook.com
4-Twitter.com
5-Instagram.com(If you can add it, it would be very good. Because it's popular in Iran and supporting Persian UI)
We don't need:
1-Amazon because it isn't active in Iran and afqanistan. We don't need it.

Note: I think generally, a mail client should be able to search in emails(Like: Yahoo Mail and Gmail inbox) and social media(Like: Facebook, Instagram, Google Plus, Mastadon, Twitter,...) not in web search engines like Google, Bing, Yahoo and even eshops like Amazon! Because, basically, users using thunderbird for management their communicatios, not their web browsings. Thunderbird is a communication suite, not a web browser. If anyone want to search in Google, Yahoo,Wikipedia, he can use Firefox and it's search bar easily, he don't want Thunderbird.
However, only because other locales in Thunderbird supporting web search engines, i added them to list. But i prefer to have instagram and twitter in Thunderbird search bar instead of Yahoo and Google.

For map systems we need:
Google Maps and Open Street Maps
Note: Both of them supporting Persian UI.

In address book we need:
If user selected iran as country, the format of zip code(Postal Code in iran) should be like it:
12345-67890 or 1234567890
It should be 10 Digits and only numeric not alpha-numeric.

Mailnews:
Google Groups is good.
Flags: needinfo?(amir_farsi)
Note: For maps, we prefer Google Maps than Open Street maps. It's more popular and have better maps for Iran.
Flags: needinfo?(philipp)
(In reply to Amir Farsi from comment #4)
> Hi there.
> For search engines we need:
> 1-Google (Persian Version of google).
> Note: We haven't diffrent tld of it for Persian language. It's google.com.
> But we need language of it as persian. I'm not sure if www.google.com/fa?q=
> will show Persian(Farsi) ui of Google?
> 2-Bing.com (It haven't persian version and it should be english version of
> Bing)
> 3-Yahoo.com (It haven't persian version and it should be english version of
> Yahoo)
> 3-Facebook.com
> 4-Twitter.com
> 5-Instagram.com(If you can add it, it would be very good. Because it's
> popular in Iran and supporting Persian UI)
> We don't need:
> 1-Amazon because it isn't active in Iran and afqanistan. We don't need it.

There are only three slots, and a default engine. Based on what you mention I would take Google/Bing/Yahoo.


> 
> Note: I think generally, a mail client should be able to search in
> emails(Like: Yahoo Mail and Gmail inbox) and social media(Like: Facebook,
> Instagram, Google Plus, Mastadon, Twitter,...) not in web search engines
> like Google, Bing, Yahoo and even eshops like Amazon! Because, basically,
> users using thunderbird for management their communicatios, not their web
> browsings. Thunderbird is a communication suite, not a web browser. If
> anyone want to search in Google, Yahoo,Wikipedia, he can use Firefox and
> it's search bar easily, he don't want Thunderbird.
> However, only because other locales in Thunderbird supporting web search
> engines, i added them to list. But i prefer to have instagram and twitter in
> Thunderbird search bar instead of Yahoo and Google.
To be honest, I don't even know where the search feature via Google/Bing/Yahoo is used. Emails are searched locally, no web search engine is used for that. I think there is some browsing feature that is used in edge cases, but it does not expose email.


> 
> For map systems we need:
> Google Maps and Open Street Maps
> Note: Both of them supporting Persian UI.
For Google I could add hl=fa to the search parameters. I didn't find a way to do that with OSM. In both cases, I believe this is set automatically based on the accept-languages header anyway, so if there is no separate TLD I think it would make sense to just keep the defaults.

To check this, once you have a localized version of Thunderbird, you can go to Options > Advanced > General > Config Editor and check the value of intl.accept_languages. If "fa" is mentioned at the beginning of this, then it will happen automatically. If this does not work, please get back to me and I'll add the hl=fa parameter.

> 
> In address book we need:
> If user selected iran as country, the format of zip code(Postal Code in
> iran) should be like it:
> 12345-67890 or 1234567890
> It should be 10 Digits and only numeric not alpha-numeric.
I don't think we have a regional setting for this, ideally it is done automatically. At least I didn't see anything in https://dxr.mozilla.org/comm-central/source/mail/locales/en-US/chrome/messenger-region/region.properties

> 
> Mailnews:
> Google Groups is good.
Great!
(In reply to Philipp Kewisch [:Fallen]  from comment #6)
> To check this, once you have a localized version of Thunderbird, you can go
> to Options > Advanced > General > Config Editor and check the value of
> intl.accept_languages. If "fa" is mentioned at the beginning of this, then
> it will happen automatically. If this does not work, please get back to me
> and I'll add the hl=fa parameter.

This also holds true for the search engine btw.
Flags: needinfo?(philipp)
(In reply to Philipp Kewisch [:Fallen]  from comment #6)
> To be honest, I don't even know where the search feature via
> Google/Bing/Yahoo is used.
Yes, I've asked myself the same thing. We do have a "Default Search Engine" in "Options, General". Richard, can you enlighten us on where and how that is used.
Flags: needinfo?(richard.marti)
I've made the region changes here: https://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/fa/rev/97e9f362bdfb0730d491aa5751a30d482624c247
I hope this is still the right process now that there is some unified repo for strings.

I see there are possibly more slots for search engines, some things have changed there. Of the available engines I've added "google", "bing", "yahoo", "twitter", we'll see what happens.
(In reply to Jorg K (GMT+1) from comment #8)
> (In reply to Philipp Kewisch [:Fallen]  from comment #6)
> > To be honest, I don't even know where the search feature via
> > Google/Bing/Yahoo is used.
> Yes, I've asked myself the same thing. We do have a "Default Search Engine"
> in "Options, General". Richard, can you enlighten us on where and how that
> is used.

Highlight something in the message and right click. Now you see a "Search Bing for 'your highlighted text'". The search engine changes according the setting, Bing is the default.
Flags: needinfo?(richard.marti)
(In reply to Philipp Kewisch [:Fallen]  from comment #9)
> I've made the region changes here:
> https://hg.mozilla.org/l10n-central/fa/rev/
> 97e9f362bdfb0730d491aa5751a30d482624c247
> I hope this is still the right process now that there is some unified repo
> for strings.
> 
> I see there are possibly more slots for search engines, some things have
> changed there. Of the available engines I've added "google", "bing",
> "yahoo", "twitter", we'll see what happens.

Thanks. But i can't see Twitter in your mentioned file. There is only Google, Yahoo and Bing

Please add a system to thunderbird for checking validity of Zip Codes/Posatl Codes, based on selected country in address book/contacts. It's so important feature. It should be for Phone/Fax/Phone numbers too. You can use Google libphonenumber that is open source and fully complete for it.
In addition, i wanted to knaow , when and how i can check thunderbird and see Persian language on it?
Should i download Thunderbird Beta? What Version of it?
Note: It seems there isn't any thunderbird nightly for download.
In addition we have two problems too:
1-www.thunderbird.net have Persian language on page footer's language list. But https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/ haven't any Persian language in it's language slection drop down list.
2-We can't see phrases of www.thunderbird.net and it's related page in mozilla's website like these phrases in Pontoon for localization.
"Software made to make email easier.

Thunderbird is a free email application that’s easy to set up and customize - and it’s loaded with great features"

Note: I asked from "Peiying Mo" in L10n Community IRC channel. She said it's because Persian isn't in list of Thunderbird languages.
Please fix these problems in websites too.

3-I registred www.thunderbird.ir and i wanted to see if we can, connect it to www.thunderbird.net/fa ? How we can do it?
Flags: needinfo?(philipp)
Comment on attachment 8942498 [details]
Bug 1429452 - Add Persian language to Thunderbird nightly build. r=tomprince

Tom Prince [:tomprince] has approved the revision.

https://phabricator.services.mozilla.com/D387#11669
Attachment #8942498 - Flags: review+
(In reply to Amir Farsi from comment #13)
> Note: I asked from "Peiying Mo" in L10n Community IRC channel. She said it's
> because Persian isn't in list of Thunderbird languages.
> Please fix these problems in websites too.
I'm not quite sure about this, I suspect we'd have to push some changes. Sancus is the best to answer this.


> 3-I registred www.thunderbird.ir and i wanted to see if we can, connect it
> to www.thunderbird.net/fa ? How we can do it?

Thank you for being enthusiastic and registering the domain. If you want to send directly to www.thunderbird.net/fa you will have to host a redirection yourself. If you just want to alias to thunderbird.net and let the browser detect to the language, you can probably set up a CNAME entry in DNS.

I'll have to check with Mozilla if we can allow this to be an external domain though.
Flags: needinfo?(philipp) → needinfo?(sancus)
Keywords: checkin-needed
(In reply to Philipp Kewisch [:Fallen]  from comment #15)
> (In reply to Amir Farsi from comment #13)
> > Note: I asked from "Peiying Mo" in L10n Community IRC channel. She said it's
> > because Persian isn't in list of Thunderbird languages.
> > Please fix these problems in websites too.
> I'm not quite sure about this, I suspect we'd have to push some changes.
> Sancus is the best to answer this.
> 
I spoke with sancus and Peiying, it sounds like it would be best to do this when you move to release. See bug 1434733
Flags: needinfo?(sancus)
What about the review comment?
> I think mail/locales/l10n.toml should also be updated. Other than that, this looks good.
Flags: needinfo?(philipp)
Hmm, looks like "ms" is missing there, too (bug 1403064). Add is while we're here? And what about calendar/locales/l10n.toml?
(In reply to Philipp Kewisch [:Fallen]  from comment #16)
> (In reply to Philipp Kewisch [:Fallen]  from comment #15)
> > (In reply to Amir Farsi from comment #13)
> > > Note: I asked from "Peiying Mo" in L10n Community IRC channel. She said it's
> > > because Persian isn't in list of Thunderbird languages.
> > > Please fix these problems in websites too.
> > I'm not quite sure about this, I suspect we'd have to push some changes.
> > Sancus is the best to answer this.
> > 
> I spoke with sancus and Peiying, it sounds like it would be best to do this
> when you move to release. See bug 1434733

OK. No problem. For first steps, we should have Thunderbird in Persian language and try to release it as soon as we can.
You can seek other problems like domain and website(Mozillia.org) for temporary time and dellay them.

Thanks.
Keywords: checkin-needed
Yes, let's add to l10n.toml as well. Persian has Lightning translated at 4%, so lets skip Lightning for now.

ms on the other hand has it at 100%, so let's add it to both l10n.toml files.

JΓΆrg, do you want me to update the patch on phab, or do you want to take care manually?
Flags: needinfo?(philipp) → needinfo?(jorgk)
Since this it the first patch in Phabricator and I have bustage left, right and centre, I haven't set up import from the new review tool. So I'd appreciate a "classic" patch with all the issues addressed.
Flags: needinfo?(jorgk)
Posted patch Fix - v2 β€” β€” Splinter Review
Let me know if you need help setting that up, for import you can also just import the patch from phab without going through the whole phabricator dance.

I'm splitting this and doing the syncing in bug 1435061 as there are a few more locales.
Attachment #8942498 - Attachment is obsolete: true
Attachment #8947618 - Flags: review+
(In reply to Philipp Kewisch [:Fallen]  from comment #22)
> Let me know if you need help setting that up, ...
I just don't have time to set up something for a "one off" so far.

> ... for import you can also just
> import the patch from phab without going through the whole phabricator dance.
I know, but then I have to make a real patch with headers out of the raw diff.
Pushed by mozilla@jorgk.com:
https://hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/rev/07e9ccb0dc27
Add Persian language to Thunderbird nightly build. r=tomprince
Status: ASSIGNED → RESOLVED
Closed: 2 years ago
Keywords: checkin-needed
Resolution: --- → FIXED
Try to work less under the pseudonym of Mr. E.S. Lint ;-) (this time I caught it).
Target Milestone: --- → Thunderbird 60.0
Thanks for catching that! I had fixed my hgrc, but the patch was from a while back :)
Thanks guys for fix this bug.

But i don't know how i should get Thunderbird Persian?
Is there any Nightly build of Thunderbird? Where can i get it?
Should I get Beta build from https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/thunderbird/beta/all/ ?
I know i should wait for release Version 60 of Thunderbird(At least, it's Nightly build).
But I don't know how/where I should find for Thunderbird 60 Persian?
If all is configured correctly, the version should show up in
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-central-l10n/
one day. Philipp, are there further l10n tricks required?
Every time we add a new language there seem to be new tricks, or I can't seem to remember them. Given the push is less than 24 hours ago, please wait a day or two, if they don't show up in the URL JΓΆrg mentioned by then please get in touch.
When you are happy with the quality of the nightly builds please also check in with me, by filing a new bug to add your locale to beta releases.
Fallen, I do not see .fa in http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-central-l10n/  
So something is wrong.


(In reply to Philipp Kewisch [:Fallen]  from comment #30)
> When you are happy with the quality of the nightly builds please also check
> in with me, by filing a new bug to add your locale to beta releases.

Amir, version 60 beta is not far off.  To get your locale into version 60 you will want to be checking to make sure things are working as expected
Flags: needinfo?(philipp)
Flags: needinfo?(amir_farsi)
See Also: → 1439275
(In reply to Wayne Mery (:wsmwk) from comment #31)
> Fallen, I do not see .fa in
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/thunderbird/nightly/latest-comm-central-l10n/  
> So something is wrong.

Is the need to update buildbot config gone?
https://hg.mozilla.org/build/buildbot-configs/file/default/mozilla/l10n/

ms wasn't added there either, and I don't see builds
https://hg.mozilla.org/comm-central/log/07e9ccb0dc27/mail/locales/all-locales
Yes, the buildbot-configs changes are still needed. I'll take care of this asap for all locales.
(In reply to Wayne Mery (:wsmwk) from comment #31)
> Amir, version 60 beta is not far off.  To get your locale into version 60
> you will want to be checking to make sure things are working as expected
Ok. I will try too look at main strings of thunderbird. But i wanted to have fa nightly(alpha) version and get it from ftp site, install it on my pc, then check it's UI and find problems,...
If you make nightly build of fa ready for me as soon as you can, I will try to make all of things(That are related to me) for beta version. 
I can't install English nightly build, because i can't see and cehck Persian UI problems.
Except these things, i will work on more on translations in pontoon to when you make fa locale nightly ready to download via ftp.
Thanks.
Flags: needinfo?(amir_farsi)
Flags: needinfo?(philipp)
Summary: Add Persian language to Thunderbird nightly build → Add Persian language (fa) to Thunderbird nightly build
This changeset adds it to buildbot-configs, so it should be complete. Nightly builds should show up in 1-2 days.

https://hg.mozilla.org/build/buildbot-configs/rev/611002f8acd2e59db8e941a7e674ab4f52486c2c
I'm never sure who merges default to production, so I've done it there:
https://hg.mozilla.org/build/buildbot-configs/rev/1174a9ee59a6d509c6988955cba29b61c3b20970
This is usually done by releng, or automatically.
Attachment #8942498 - Attachment is obsolete: false
Attachment #8942498 - Attachment is obsolete: true
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.