Characters in Google Hangouts and other websites are converted to boxed question marks

RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 1460917

Status

()

defect
RESOLVED DUPLICATE of bug 1460917
Last year
Last year

People

(Reporter: melanie.turner777, Unassigned)

Tracking

({fonts})

60 Branch
x86
macOS
Points:
---

Firefox Tracking Flags

(Not tracked)

Details

Attachments

(1 attachment)

Reporter

Description

Last year
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10.11; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
Build ID: 20180503143129

Steps to reproduce:

Logging in to my Gmail account, the entire Google Hangouts text is converted to boxed question marks.  I tried logging out of Gmail and restarting Firefox, but nothing changed.  This has also appeared on one website that I've noticed.  I also received a mailerdaemon response which had all of the characters converted to the boxed question marks.  I opened my Gmail account on Safari and did not experience the same issues. Attached is one screen shot, but this is only showing the Google Hangouts and email.
1. Right-click (Ctrl+click) one of the question marks and choose "Inspect Element (Q)".
2. In the developer tools pane that opens, click the Fonts tab in the top right.
3. What font is listed for that element, above the collapsed "Other fonts in page" section?
Component: Untriaged → Layout: Text
Flags: needinfo?(melanie.turner777)
Keywords: fonts
OS: Unspecified → Mac OS X
Product: Firefox → Core
Hardware: Unspecified → x86
This may be a sandbox-related issue. Please try going to about:config, find the entry "security.sandbox.content.level", and double-click to modify its value. Assuming it is set to 3 (the default), try changing it to 1, and then quit and restart Firefox. Does that make any difference to the problem?
Reporter

Comment 3

Last year
(In reply to Gingerbread Man from comment #1)
> 1. Right-click (Ctrl+click) one of the question marks and choose "Inspect
> Element (Q)".
> 2. In the developer tools pane that opens, click the Fonts tab in the top
> right.
> 3. What font is listed for that element, above the collapsed "Other fonts in
> page" section?

It shows .LastResort as the font in every place...
Flags: needinfo?(melanie.turner777)
Reporter

Comment 4

Last year
(In reply to Jonathan Kew (:jfkthame) from comment #2)
> This may be a sandbox-related issue. Please try going to about:config, find
> the entry "security.sandbox.content.level", and double-click to modify its
> value. Assuming it is set to 3 (the default), try changing it to 1, and then
> quit and restart Firefox. Does that make any difference to the problem?

I appreciate your help, but I'm not a developer or coder of any sort.  I have no idea how to do what you're saying LOL
1. Enter the following into the address bar:
about:config?filter=security.sandbox.content.level

2. When the warning appears, click the big button to bypass it.

3. On the next page, double-click the security.sandbox.content.level entry. In the box that pops up, type 1 then press the OK button.

4. Quit, then restart Firefox. Does the problem still occur?
Flags: needinfo?(melanie.turner777)
Given that this is occurring on OS X 10.11. This is likely to be a duplicate of bug 1460917 - "Fonts not displaying with OS X 10.11 and Earlier with Font Managers". We're working on the fix. I'm going to close this bug as a duplicate of bug 1460917 and you'll continue to receive notifications as progress is made on the fix.
Status: UNCONFIRMED → RESOLVED
Closed: Last year
Resolution: --- → DUPLICATE
Duplicate of bug: 1460917
Reporter

Comment 7

Last year
(In reply to Gingerbread Man from comment #5)
> 1. Enter the following into the address bar:
> about:config?filter=security.sandbox.content.level
> 
> 2. When the warning appears, click the big button to bypass it.
> 
> 3. On the next page, double-click the security.sandbox.content.level entry.
> In the box that pops up, type 1 then press the OK button.
> 
> 4. Quit, then restart Firefox. Does the problem still occur?

This fixed it!
Flags: needinfo?(melanie.turner777)
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.