Steps to reproduce: 1. Click on "I have read and understand, and agree to, the Image Usage Agreement." 2. Select "Save this file to disk" Actual results: Download never starts. Time elapsed stays at 1 or 2 seconds. Expected results: Download should succeed. It works if I right click on the link and select "Save Link Target As". It also works if I copy the link location, paste it into the address field and hit return. This problem occurs on the latest trunk (2002052408), RC3 and Netscape 7 PR1. The problem does not exist in Netscape 6.2. All tested on Windows 2000.
-> File Handling
wfm m1rc3, win2k sp2. download started in a few seconds and completed normally
I've done some more research. The bug depends on how many browser windows are open. Really interesting bug. I've found that it occours in the following cases: * If only one browser window is open, the download always fails. To reproduce, paste the url in this bug in the first browser window that is opened when starting Mozilla. * If you have window (1) and (2) (opened in that order), the download works in (2) but not (1). * If you have window (1), (2), and (3), the download works in (2) and (3), but not (1). If you close (1), the download only works in (3), not in (2). It goes on like this if you have more windows. The least recently opened window always fails.
Wow, now THAT is a strange bug. I can indeed reproduce this on Win2K 20021114, with the steps in comment 3. It certainly is a bug, but there IS a workaround, which is to have more than one window open. So, even though this is a serious bug, I'll mark it minor as I confirm it. I'm sure that this is related to the other "close windows + Download Problems" bugs, somehow. Can anybody tell us if this happens on other platforms besides Windows? -M
This is not an Apple bug. It happens to me on Netscape 7.1 and Mozilla Browser 6.1 for all sorts of files. It doesn't happen on every machine, but once it starts, it's stuck like that forever (even after reboots, uninstalls, etc.). I don't know about deleting the whole app, I just use uninstall for NS 7.1. It seems to happen for every http download (and maybe some ftp ones, too). Furthermore, it seems to cross contaminate browsers. If Netscape 7.1 does it, then Mozilla Browser does it too even though I am using totally different profiles for the two apps. This is on Win2K.
On good advice from a forum member, I went into Mozilla Browser>Edit>Preferences>Netscape>Helper Applications In Helper Applications, I found an entry with <autorun.inf> in it. After deleting this particular helper, now my Win2k machine can download files just fine again. Maybe this will help your problem as well.
We got no dupes in several years and I can't reproduce it (url is 404)