Closed Bug 1514236 Opened 7 years ago Closed 7 years ago

Some sections from the new cert error pages are not translated to spanish when triggering them on the es-ES Firefox build

Categories

(Firefox :: Security, defect)

defect
Not set
normal

Tracking

()

RESOLVED INVALID
Tracking Status
firefox64 --- fix-optional
firefox65 --- fix-optional
firefox66 - wontfix

People

(Reporter: cfat, Unassigned)

References

Details

Attachments

(1 file)

Attached image not translated.gif —
[Affected versions]: - Firefox Release 64 and above [Affected Platforms]: - All Windows - All Mac - All Linux [Prerequisites]: - Have "browser.security.newcerterrorpage.enabled" pref set to "true" in "about:config" page. - Have the Firefox Release 64 es-ES locale installed. [Steps to reproduce]: 1. Open the browser with the profile from prerequisites. 2. Navigate to https://untrusted-root.badssl.com/ website. 3. Click the "Mas..." button and observe if the text is translated to spanish. [Expected result]: - The entire text is translated to spanish. [Actual result]: - There is a section of text in english language. [Notes]: - This issue is also reproducible with the other new certificate error pages (both bypassable and non-bypassable): SEC_ERROR_UNKNOWN_ISSUER SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN SEC_ERROR_EXPIRED_CERTIFICATE - Please see the attachament.
Thanks, I was already aware of the issue, and I don't believe we should track incomplete localizations, even if it's about a top tier locale like es-ES.
That's generally true, but I could see that maybe in this case we could be concerned about user perceptions of the feature. If it turns out to be a special priority for the Product team then let's talk about further options.
I'm not a fan of keeping this bug around. It's not actionable in this component (or anywhere else in the Firefox product). What exactly is this bug tracking? The testing was done for a Shield study, and we already made the sensible choice to restrict the study to locales that are fully translated. As far as the shield study goes, this seems to be a non-issue. Assuming that this is meant to track localization for final release, who is responsible for it and can be assigned? What is our policy on releasing features with incomplete localization?
Flags: needinfo?(lhenry)
Flags: needinfo?(francesco.lodolo)
We never blocked a feature in the past on incomplete localization. We ship the best localization we can for each locale, and that might mean an incomplete one depending on the status of the community. A team can still decide to not ship until X localizations are done, e.g. if they target a specific market, but I don't think this kind of bug should be tracked for a release. Normally, I would even close bugs about incomplete localizations as INVALID.
Flags: needinfo?(francesco.lodolo)
> Assuming that this is meant to track localization for final release, who is > responsible for it and can be assigned? What is our policy on releasing > features with incomplete localization? As I wrote on Slack over the holidays: with a list of IDs involved, I can give the team a better picture of the localization status, so that they can make an informed decision about flipping the switch. But this bug is about es-ES being incomplete (and I'm not sure if that's even still the case), and as such I don't think it's useful.
OK, makes sense, I just wanted to make sure the feature team was aware of the issue. Looks like it was useful to pass that on since they are now targeting particular locales. Thanks for explaining further!
Status: NEW → RESOLVED
Closed: 7 years ago
Resolution: --- → INVALID
Flags: needinfo?(lhenry)
You need to log in before you can comment on or make changes to this bug.

Attachment

General

Created:
Updated:
Size: