Prior to changing around the way the updater works, we would like to make it easier to get information from our users if they are having trouble with updates. These are the steps that we would like to be able to give users to walk them through retrieving troubleshooting data for us:
- User navigates to about:config
- User searches for pref
app.update.log.file and sets it to
- User attempts to update
- User navigates to about:support
- User finds the row labeled "Profile Folder" and clicks "Open Folder"
- User locates a file named "update_messages.log"
- User uploads the file to Bugzilla
There is one caveat in the implementation here. We do not want this pref to get left on and generate logs that eventually grow too large. To prevent this, the pref's effects will only last for a single Firefox session.
I'm planning to implement this in the following way: When Firefox starts, the UpdateStub checks if
app.update.log.file == true. If it does, it moves "update_messages.log" to "update_messages_old.log" and sets
app.update.log.file = false.