(In reply to Kirk Steuber (he/him) [:bytesized] from comment #1)
Hey, I believe that Emil is on PTO right now, but I need some help understanding this bug. Can you confirm that when Firefox is restarted in Step 4, that it is being restarted from the "Restart to update Nightly" button and not in some other way?
Hello, yes Emil is on PTO and we had some days off too, sorry for the late response. I can confirm that Firefox is restarted from the "Restart to update" button from Help -> About Nightly. Also doing this very fast makes the issue more likely to reproduce. I tested the update from Firefox (20190423095327). Here are my exact steps for the issue to reproduce more often:
Used the same preconditions from comment 0 and the same steps just adding some notes to them because the issue is more reproducible this way from what I saw:
- Launch Firefox in order to start the update download process via BITS.
- Close Firefox during the update download process (here I close Firefox without opening something else after I see the BITS process being used from Task manager on Processes tab).
- Let BITS finish the update download in the background. (I deactivate NetLimiter and wait for the download to finish)
- Launch Firefox once the update download is completed.
- Restart Firefox in order to apply the downloaded update (I quickly go to Help -> About Nightly and hit "Restart to update Nightly" button - I have to mention this step is made really fast).
- After the restart I go back to Help -> About Nightly and the update process is restarted.
I hope that this information can help because the issue is intermittent but doing this in a fast way and following the steps makes it more reproducible.
I also attached a screen recording and a full log from the browser console that is generated after the update process is restarted via BITS second time(Step 6). If there is other information I can help with please let me know.